5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Spare G1000 Range Knob?

Post by Steve »

This kind of B#$@]t has always annoyed me no end - manufacturers massively inflating the cost of repair parts. Garmin is one of the worst, but Bendix/King is no different. I always attempt to source repair parts from an alternate supplier (usually the part's OEM with electronic components). I had a knob break on my B/K KMA28 audio panel a few years ago. The replacement cost from my B/K service center was $40. That unit is actually made for B/K by PS Engineering and is identical to the PMA7000. I sent PS Engineering customer support an email, and they were able to send me a set of 2 knobs for $12! They were exact replacements.

Steve
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

Hi Rob, do you remember which were the close matches for G1000 knobs? (not only the range knob, but the others like COM/NAV knobs too)
I want to try them before ordering Garmin genuine knob replacement kit (now it's $200 :shock: ) https://cessnadirect.com/k00-00350-00

rwtucker wrote: Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 pm I scanned the 2,700 or so stock knobs at Allied and saw a few that look close. Also found close matches for the other G1000 knobs. I would have to drive to the hangar and get the exact measurements to be sure.

Mouser is another good source. They show over 1,000 knobs. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=knobs

EHC claims to have the world's largest selection of knobs. http://ehcknobs.com/index.php?id=CK1
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

This might be worth investigating as it claims to be an entire set of knobs for the G1000.

https://sarasotaavionics.com/g1000-knob-replacement-kit
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

My avionics shop had replaced a broken knob for free for me once. They seemed to have lots of spares.
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Airports:

Post by greg »

Just wondering if anyone with 3D printing experience has ever tried replicating some of these knobs? Given the Garmin set is so pricey, it sounds like it'd be worth a try.
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Logan
Aircraft Registration: N248DS
Airports: KOWD

Post by lgrennlee »

greg wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:15 pm Just wondering if anyone with 3D printing experience has ever tried replicating some of these knobs? Given the Garmin set is so pricey, it sounds like it'd be worth a try.
It is probably worth a try. The tolerances for Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) printing may not be good enough to do the nested FMS knobs. The finish for FDM isn't very nice either. Though tolerances tend to depend on the printer and the nozzle used. Selective Laser Sintering will offer better tolerance however the finish will be much different than the existing knobs (though better than FDM). The good news is that they would be cheap to produce since SLS is usually billed based on volume.

It would be legal if you printed it yourself or you provided a 3d model to some place like Shapeways to manufacture.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if the knobs from my PC simulator's RealSimGear G1000 suite are direct replacements for the Garmin knobs? If so, I bet RSG would sell you a knob for a lot less than Garmin.
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

K00-00350-00 GDU knob kit - $200+ (this is how they end up with spares)

The only individual knob they sell is in fact the range knob because it's the only knob on the GCU - 430-00035-10 ($25ish)
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Try www.Aviatek.com - their knobs actually look like the real thing unlike RealSimGear which look flimsy. Not sure if they will fit the actual encoder but...
bitaria
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Oleg
Aircraft Registration: N489Y
Airports:

Post by bitaria »

New owner here and the plane came with one of these knobs missing. Will probably order a replacement, but I got CAD and a 3D printer. Anyone got dimensions? (I'll eventually not forget to take the caliper to the plane, but maybe someone already did the measuring)