3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Re: stall warning sensor after heavy rain

Post by Spinner »

However you can use the reed as a kazoo around the hangar and really annoy a lot of people :D
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
This is a VERY VERY relevant comment. My AME who was unfamiliar with the stall warning system did this exact thing on my DA20 when I had water in mine - blew the hose off the back of the leading edge. My heart sunk when we did this and knew instantly what happened.

We ended up removing the wing, and thankfully, there is a small access hole (only about 4" in diameter AFAIR) on the inside edge of the wing root. They managed to devise a long tool to put that hose back on (it is just a pressure fit onto the stall warning hole on the leading edge). Took about 3 hours of messing around, a lot of pacing and my visions of having to send the wing back to Diamond!

It was something I prefer to not want to experience again (although now we know how to do it) - best precaution is to follow the AMM. I would absolutely NOT chance using compressed air - it is a MAJOR pain in the a** if things go wrong!

I can't imagine the frustration of having to do this on the DA40 with having to remove the fuel tank over something so easily avoidable by just following the manual!

Voice of experience on this one....embarrassingly enough! (and going to read the manual FIRST next time!
Chris B wrote:
Spinner wrote:we have disconnected the horn and blown compressed air through without any issues.
Be *very* careful with this. If the hose disconnects behind the wing leading edge, re-attachment requires removing the fuel tank for access. The DA20 may be different, but on the DA40 removing/reinstalling a fuel tank is a major project.

Chris
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Spinner »

I guess i must be the luckiest guy around. I have cleared this issue more than a dozen times on the DA20 without any issue. It is also the standard practice at our company since forever (2005) to do it this way. However having said that I guess it is time to review and possibly change our procedures.

Paul
thefoxx wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops:
This is a VERY VERY relevant comment. My AME who was unfamiliar with the stall warning system did this exact thing on my DA20 when I had water in mine - blew the hose off the back of the leading edge. My heart sunk when we did this and knew instantly what happened.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Lou wrote:Thanks for the comments. I was able to disconnect the hose at the access panel and determine that there was no blockage at all from the wing hole to the connection. I then took it to my AME who disassembled the kazoo (not permitted owner maintenance in Canada :( ) and cleared the stuck reed.

One final note: a kazoo for New Year's Eve costs $.25, and you get to drink when you use them. An aviation kazoo, which lasts just about as long, costs $80. Oh brother. :D
Can't remember if the 40 "horn" is the same as the 20, but if it is - it's just a Cessna horn (P/N 0713348-1) and should cost around $40 (USD). If you buy it from DAI, then $80 wouldn't surprise me. It's available from Aircraft Spruce and many other sources.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

krellis wrote:Can't remember if the 40 "horn" is the same as the 20, but if it is - it's just a Cessna horn (P/N 0713348-1) and should cost around $40 (USD). If you buy it from DAI, then $80 wouldn't surprise me. It's available from Aircraft Spruce and many other sources.
The DA40 horn is the standard Cessna part.

See this detailed thread from 2014: link

Chris
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

Or I must be one of the UNLUCKIEST!

You of course are free to do what you like and maybe it was just total bad luck on our part (compressed air made sense to us at the time as well!) but trust me in the feelings of regret when the sound of "shhhhhhhhh....pop" and your compressed air being redirected inside the wing instead of out!

Spinner wrote:I guess i must be the luckiest guy around. I have cleared this issue more than a dozen times on the DA20 without any issue. It is also the standard practice at our company since forever (2005) to do it this way. However having said that I guess it is time to review and possibly change our procedures.

Paul
thefoxx wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Spinner »

:) Must be all that 'wet' coast water a little thicker than the east coast stuff :)