3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nir
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KPAO

Arctic Air Condition

Post by Nirbm01 »

Hi All,

Has anyone try to use the Arctic Air Condition, I wanted to get some pirep's on how good it is and if the our 12v connection is sufficient.

Nir
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Re: Arctic Air Condition

Post by trepine »

I have the 38 quart 28 volt version, which works relatively well cooling the cabin. Where am located in the southwest United States, the temperature is often extreme between 107 and a 117 degrees during the summer. Usually I get less than one hour useful runtime from it under these conditions. As an alternative and cheaper option which I find overall more effective, I bought a phase change material cooling vest made by a company called KewlFit. You place this vest in the freezer or even refrigerator, and the material produces a constant 59 degrees Fahrenheit cooling to the chest for approximately 2 to 3 hours even under extreme conditions. The setup is much less hassle than dealing with the cooler and getting it situated properly in the back seat which is angled, and transporting and dealing with the ice. With the vest all I have to do is put it on and go.
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Nirbm01 »

trepine wrote:I have the 38 quart 28 volt version, which works relatively well cooling the cabin. Where am located in the southwest United States, the temperature is often extreme between 107 and a 117 degrees during the summer. Usually I get less than one hour useful runtime from it under these conditions. As an alternative and cheaper option which I find overall more effective, I bought a phase change material cooling vest made by a company called KewlFit. You place this vest in the freezer or even refrigerator, and the material produces a constant 59 degrees Fahrenheit cooling to the chest for approximately 2 to 3 hours even under extreme conditions. The setup is much less hassle than dealing with the cooler and getting it situated properly in the back seat which is angled, and transporting and dealing with the ice. With the vest all I have to do is put it on and go.
How do you get the 28V? I thought that we have only 12V socket?
Thanks,
Nir
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by trepine »

I had it added. I added a 28 next to the 12 on the panel. Then had another 12 added behind the back seat too. I also had the artic air wired in with a switch added on the panel to control the pump and fan. When I put it in I have a 4 prong plug behind the back seat it plugs into that connects it to the switches on the panel.
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Nirbm01 »

trepine wrote:I had it added. I added a 28 next to the 12 on the panel. Then had another 12 added behind the back seat too. I also had the artic air wired in with a switch added on the panel to control the pump and fan. When I put it in I have a 4 prong plug behind the back seat it plugs into that connects it to the switches on the panel.
Quick education for me - who is qualified / will do such work? (Avionic shop / Mechanic shop)?

Thanks,
Nir
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by trepine »

Mine was mechanic shop, Dillons aviation in Greenville South Carolina
Twcostanzo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: N350RJ
Airports: F45

Post by Twcostanzo »

I had air installed on my diamond at Premire in Florida
It was the best investment I have made. I live in south Florida and summers are hot.
The air coming out of over head vents is 47 degrees and the cabin is very cool right from start up
It makes the aircraft a pleasure to fly