5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

New Wing Spar AD

Post by Rick »

It looks like the FAA just issued a new AD for the DA40 wing spars.
AD-2013-24-14 wing spars.pdf
Wing Spar AD
(56.62 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Re: New Wing Spar AD

Post by Tommy »

I just had that AD completed on my 40 during my annual. It's really not that difficult, however, it is time consuming.
The materials alone will cost if my memory serves me right (I can verify later) around $300.00, however, the resin is considered a hazardous material and that premium is around $250.00 for shipping.
The cutting of the carbon fiber to the sizes required and the actual layup will only take about two hours. You just have to be patient and very methodical. There are however several stages of curing that will take all of 24 hrs. We had to build cardboard boxes that contained heat guns that we had to monitor at various temperatures to get a full cure.
In the end I think the full cost was somewhere around $700.00. I will verify and itemize what my costs were later today.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

It looks like this AD must be performed "at the next major structural inspection", but before 2023 - so we have plenty of time to get it done! Presumably we will all have our rear seat pan remove for some reason in the next 9 years - that would seem like a good time to get it done...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: W
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by 41000 »

So correct me here, is at 2000hrs total time since new, or 2000 hrs from now. MSI is what interval, is that chapter 5 items
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

I initially thought this AD was in addition to the previously noted Service Bulletin. :shock:

Thankfully not!
41000 wrote:So correct me here, is at 2000hrs total time since new, or 2000 hrs from now. MSI is what interval, is that chapter 5 items
Here is what I found in the June 2010 AMM:
Section 05-10, page 1 wrote:Major Structural Inspection (MSI)
At 2000 hours since new and every 2000 hour intervals or 12 years, that which comes first.
and
Section 05-20, page 1 wrote:The interval column "time" is used for maintenance items which must be done at certain calendar time intervals, or during a Major Structural Inspection (MSI).
and here is a sample entry from Section 05-28-50, page 19:
MSI interval example.PNG
MSI interval example.PNG (10.65 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
I'll probably get this done at my next annual. It looks straightforward for anybody with layup experience.
At least it doesn't need to be installed from the bottom! :lol:

I'm curious if the super-exotic-requires-HAZMAT-shipping-from-EMEA resin is really any different than a good-quality marine epoxy. The data sheet characteristics look very similar.
But with regulatory agencies involved, presumably the answer doesn't matter... :roll:

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Tommy wrote:There are however several stages of curing that will take all of 24 hrs. We had to build cardboard boxes that contained heat guns that we had to monitor at various temperatures to get a full cure.
Do you think this would be easier in the summer? Or was it important to keep all the temps below ~25C?

Yes, I am lazy. :D

Chris
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

Chris B wrote:
Tommy wrote:There are however several stages of curing that will take all of 24 hrs. We had to build cardboard boxes that contained heat guns that we had to monitor at various temperatures to get a full cure.
Do you think this would be easier in the summer? Or was it important to keep all the temps below ~25C?

Yes, I am lazy. :D

Chris
Your curing temps will vary from 65C to 80C within a 24 hr. period anywhere from 6 to 15 hrs. per stage.We built cardboard boxes to contain and monitor the cure.
http://www.diamond-air.at/fileadmin/upl ... n-spar.pdf
Read paragraph 1.6 of the MSB. The completion of the MSB extends the major structural inspection to 6,000 hrs. since new from 2,000 hrs. since new. Completion on this MSB is clearly a benefit for those owners who have not yet reached the 2,000 time limit.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Airports: HWV

Post by Hans »

So correct me if I am wrong....this has to be done at 2000 hrs or before 2023 ?
Thx
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

Hans wrote:So correct me if I am wrong....this has to be done at 2000 hrs or before 2023 ?
Thx
I.4 Time of Compliance
Within the next 2000 hrs since new or since the last Major Structural Inspection from the date of effectivity, but not later than 31-Dec-2022.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Does anyone know if there was an event to bring on this AD? To my knowledge, there has never been a structural failure on a DA40. Just curious.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076