5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Re: KAP 140 problem

Post by Jean »

Same problem again last Sunday, coming back from La Rochelle (LFBH) , the auto pilot started again to swing left-right at the end of the flight, after almost two years of normal functioning without doing anything to the TC. I tried to turn it off/on several times, reset it with the CB but nothing worked.
I went back to the hangar this morning, it booted normally, I did a flight test and it worked properly again. Quite strange. I will take it to the avionics shop next Monday.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

Jean wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm Same problem again last Sunday, coming back from La Rochelle (LFBH) , the auto pilot started again to swing left-right at the end of the flight, after almost two years of normal functioning without doing anything to the TC. I tried to turn it off/on several times, reset it with the CB but nothing worked.
I went back to the hangar this morning, it booted normally, I did a flight test and it worked properly again. Quite strange. I will take it to the avionics shop next Monday.
Jean, wondering if you ended up replacing your TC right away or if you worked it until it completely failed. And if so, how long did the turn coordinator last from initial symptoms of rocking back and forth to complete failure? Just last week our KAP 140 started rockering in any lateral mode.
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
Gearle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Registration: Private
Airports: KDWH

Post by Gearle »

Thank you all as usual, even four years later, everything you are saying is true - I’m probably replacing my TC this month January 2021.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Add me to the list of KAP 140 turn coordinator failures. This weekend we flew from Southern California to Salt Lake. Everything worked great for the trip up. On the way back it was still working normal, then we stoped in Las Vegas for fuel. It was very hot and we sat on the ground for 45 minutes or so. We departed and the A/P lateral modes did not work. It did a little wing rocking then departed off in the wrong direction. It wasn't following the heading bug at all. I didn't let it go too far so I am not sure what it would have done. The OFF flag was not visible in the TC. I pulled and reset the TC and the A/P but no positive result.

I will go and check it out later this week but my guess is the TC is soft failed.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Lance Murray wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:14 pm Add me to the list of KAP 140 turn coordinator failures. This weekend we flew from Southern California to Salt Lake. Everything worked great for the trip up. On the way back it was still working normal, then we stoped in Las Vegas for fuel. It was very hot and we sat on the ground for 45 minutes or so. We departed and the A/P lateral modes did not work. It did a little wing rocking then departed off in the wrong direction. It wasn't following the heading bug at all. I didn't let it go too far so I am not sure what it would have done. The OFF flag was not visible in the TC. I pulled and reset the TC and the A/P but no positive result.

I will go and check it out later this week but my guess is the TC is soft failed.
Lance, I don't recall. Do you have the KI525 HSI? I had behaviors like this from a connector to it working partly loose. Easy zero-dollar fix in this case.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I have the Aspen flight display.

I downloaded the fault log and it looks like below. Still no idea what the problem is. Does anyone have the Bendix/King KAP140 Flightline Maintenance Manual? I have the install manual but it doesn't address this stuff.
IMG_1520.jpeg
IMG_1525.jpeg
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Lance:

I have that manual on PDF. PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Steve
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

That would be great Steve. PM sent. Thank you
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I did another ground test and test flight. When engaged the ailerons are frozen in place. They don't move at all. I am fairly sure this isn't a turn Coordinator failure. I suspect that the servo has failed.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Anyone have a similar failure where the ailerons remain fixed in both roll mode and HDG/NAV mode?