3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marc
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FCOK
Airports: CYBW

Best iPad DA40 Checklist?

Post by Marc_CYBW »

I have been using ForeFlight Checklist on my iPhone for quick access to emergency procedures. But it is not optimized for iPad and does not reference the G1000 nor the Essential Bus and Backup batteries.

Any recommendations out there?
Thanks
Marc
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Best iPad DA40 Checklist?

Post by CFIDave »

The best checklist available is Diamond's own list published for the DA40-180:

http://www.diamond-air.at/fileadmin/upl ... _15_A4.pdf

Open iTunes on either a Mac or PC, drag the Diamond pdf file above to the "Books" icon (i.e., add it to your Books library). Then after you sync your iPad (or iPhone), you can open and read the checklist file in the iPad's (or iPhone's) free Apple iBooks app.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

My opinion on checklist based on 12,000 or so hours of flying.

Take Off Checklist:

Flaps......Set

Switches.....All On

Levers.......All Forward

Fuel.....Fullest Tank.

Take off Checklist complete

The before landing checklist is the same.

No need for an iPad or even a piece of paper. Put the checklist down and fly. We teach students to rely way too much on checklist. These are checklist and not do lists. Students and rated pilots should learn to do a flow and back it up with a simple checklist that doesn't lower your situational awareness.
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

Blasphemy!!!
But I tend to agree with it.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

But what about elevator trim wheel to T/O (takeoff) position before takeoff? If you forget that you'll probably have some heavier stick forces to deal with when it comes time to rotate.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

My first CFI here in the USA insisted on using visual flows then confirming with a checklist if feasible.
I try to use the printed checklist and always have one, but somehow only tend to use it prepping for checkrides... and then blissfully forget about them during - haven't been failed for that yet.
By "visual flow" I mean taking your hand and kind of moving it about the airplane, versus trying to do CIGAR TIPS or similar.
This is more or less how I do it, YMMV:
Start at the upper left, confirm appropriate lights (and panel lights in off, not minimum), frequencies in the middle section of G1000, appropriate audio panel selection, move over to the right, make sure all the breakers are in, look over engine info on the MFD, info on the PFD (V-speeds etc), from lower left e-bus off, avionics, master on, pitot heat as needed, fuel pump on, fuel tank, trim, safety belts.
Re-check the door (annunciation or not), turn around, check the rear door, good to go.

Now, sometimes I do forget to get the fuel pump on for the landing, and my use of carb heat (40FP here) is rather liberal (was running extremely rich all the time. Borderline unsafe. However found carb heat scat hose rather flimsy around the edges, might have been binding restricting the airflow. Will see) - soooo... not suggesting anything here :)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Moonshine wrote:My first CFI here in the USA insisted on using visual flows then confirming with a checklist if feasible.
FWIW, this is exactly how I have been trained by my CFI. He in turn was trained by the USAF, and - shocking, I know! - they have quite a few aircraft with a bewildering array of annunciators and switches. He wasn't dogmatic about a lot, but this was one thing where he was absolutely relentless (exceeded only by his intolerance for skidding around base to final!).

The beatings continued until I succumbed. ;) The paper checklist was simply the backup for the visual flow.

The same thing was true for the exterior pre-flight. He insisted that I lightly run my hand over the entire perimeter of the aircraft before entering the cockpit, even if we had just stopped for lunch and the engine was still hot.

Chris
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Chris B wrote:
Moonshine wrote: The paper checklist was simply the backup for the visual flow.
Big fan of "Visual Flow".
bcocheran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brad
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N373AM
Airports: KELK

Post by bcocheran »

You people are all heretics!! (but i'm going to try it on my upcoming check ride because I love the thought of it!) If, however, I fail based on this alone, I am really hoping for burger and beer on one of you heretics!
Brad Cocheran (KELK)
N373AM (2005 Diamond DA20)
N951TB (2006 Piper Meridian)
and several others...

Former:
N216DG (G1000) (40.698) - KELK
N108LC (G1000) 2013 SR22T
N835SR (Avidyne) 2006 SR22
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Be careful on your checkride. Most examiners (DPEs) around here will fail you for not using a checklist, and some will bust you for not performing clearing turns prior to maneuvers.

For one real-world example 2 years ago, a local DA40 owner I know was was flying his own aircraft on his CFI initial checkride when the FAA examiner pulled the power at only 1500 feet AGL for a simulated emergency landing. Because the candidate had memorized all the steps for an emergency engine-out landing (and with minimal remaining altitude), the candidate proceeded to quickly explain and execute all the appropriate procedures (This was his own aircraft, so he knew the DA40 very well.)

The examiner failed him because he never pulled out his checklist. Fortunately the pilot was able to re-take the checkride 2 weeks later, passed, and is now a CFI.

P.S: this wasn't me. :D But you can be sure I used checklists when I took my CFI initial checkride with the same examiner a few months later!
Last edited by CFIDave on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI