2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill Armstrong
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N236MA
Airports: KSNA

Re: G1000 - how to update DB

Post by Bill A. »

Found a way to format the drive as FAT16 and then noticed that on Apple, the Disk Utility is simply showing the device capability (I think) - I also found that the standard for SDXC requires at least 4GB, while the SD is from 4MB to 4GB. So there is overlap at the 4GB point, but there shouldn't be at the 2GB point.

hmmm - it maybe a user issue and not a hardware, software problem. Back to MIT.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Bill A. wrote:OMG - I think I need to head back to MIT and see if I can get some continuing education on what flash drive to buy... :scream:
Hi Bill -

I feel your pain.

When I bought my DA40 I tried using generic SD cards without success. But at the suggestion of people here I switched to 2GB SanDisk cards and the problems magically disappeared. Your issue(s) may be completely different, but you might want to give that a try. AFAIK, the OEM Garmin cards are SanDisk.

$14 each at Amazon: link

I bought a lifetime supply. ;)

Chris
Bill A.
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill Armstrong
Aircraft Registration: N236MA
Airports: KSNA

Post by Bill A. »

Thanks Chris - my lifetime supply will be arriving tomorrow.... :thumbsup:
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Bill, once you get your 2GB cards and get them formatted properly, there is only one "trick" to making backups up your lower cards. There are no "hidden" files or other security measures used by Garmin on these cards. The only "trick" is in the 'airframe_info.xml' file, which contains both the System_ID of your G1000, and the 'serial number' of the SD card itself. Finding your System ID is no big deal - it's on the last AUX page on the MFD. But finding the correct serial number of the SD card is more problematic.

The easiest way to do this is to place the newly-formatted, but blank, SD card in the UPPER slot of the MFD, turn on the master for a few seconds, then turn it back off. The MFD will write the correct airframe_info.xml file to the card, along with a new folder called 'data' and the start of a data logging file in that folder. You can then remove the card and delete the 'data' folder, but leave the XML file in place - it will have the correct System ID and card s/n in it. Now you can program the card with all your databases from Garmin and/or Jepp, copy your checklist file, etc. and it should work just fine. I believe Tim outlined the entire procedure earlier in this thread - but getting the correct XML file for each SD card is the one really important step that people often miss - or they replace the XML file by copying one from the card they are backing up! The key is that this XML file is unique for each SD card and must stay with that card.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Bill-

This is the process I used to update the Terrain, Obstacle, Safe Taxi, etc... on new data cards.

Formatted two, SanDisk Class 2, 2 GB SD cards as FAT.

Removed all the cards (upper and lower slots) from the MFD and PFD

Loaded the formatted card in the upper slot of the MFD and powered up the G1000 and avionics master.

After the G1000 booted up, shut it down and repeated the process for the other formatted data card.

Programmed the data cards using Terrain, Obstacles and SafeTaxi using Jeppesen JSUM

Loaded the cards in the lower slots and powered up the G1000 and avionics master.

As Rick said, the blank, formatted data cards must be loaded into the G1000 MFD upper slot prior to loading the Terrian, Obstacle, Safe Taxi, etc... data for the first time. The G1000 writes an airframe file to the cards.

Just to restate the obvious for clarity, the NAV data different from the Terrian, Obstacle, Safe Taxi, etc..

After NAV data is loaded into the G1000 via SD cards the data resides on the G1000 and the NAV card is removed. The Terrian, Obstacle and Safe Taxi data remains on the SD cards and the SD card must remain in the G1000 in order to access Terrian, Obstacle and Safe Taxi.

Tim
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Tim H wrote:As Rick said, the blank, formatted data cards must be loaded into the G1000 MFD upper slot prior to loading the Terrian, Obstacle, Safe Taxi, etc... data for the first time. The G1000 writes an airframe file to the cards.
I think you are making it more complicated than it is, at least for the more recent G1000 S/W versions. I just went through this a couple of months ago, and did *not* bother to load the blank formatted cards into the G1000 prior to loading the databases for the first time. The airframe.xml file doesn't need to be on the cards prior to writing the databases since your Garmin account already contains the system ID for your plane.
Last edited by Chris on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified final sentence
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Chris wrote:
Tim H wrote:As Rick said, the blank, formatted data cards must be loaded into the G1000 MFD upper slot prior to loading the Terrian, Obstacle, Safe Taxi, etc... data for the first time. The G1000 writes an airframe file to the cards.
I think you are making it more complicated than it is, at least for the more recent G1000 S/W versions. I just went through this a couple of months ago, and did *not* bother to load the blank formatted cards into the G1000 prior to loading the databases for the first time. The airframe.xml file doesn't need to be on the cards prior to writing the databases since your Garmin account already contains the system ID for your plane.
At one point - admittedly several years ago, and with a previous, older, DA40 - I was unable to get the backup cards to work in the G1000 without pre-loading the airframe file. I suppose it is possible that now, maybe the result of some software upgrade, this is no longer required - I can't say for sure. I guess I should try the whole process again with my newer DA40 and see how it goes, since I don't really have any current backup SD cards again...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I really don't want to add confusion to this discussion, but I want to make sure that things are clear. Jeppesen puts out software that will run natively on the Mac. It is not called JSUM, it is called Jeppesen Distribution Manager for the Mac (JDM, current version is 3.1). This is what you will use if you want to get the data files from Jeppesen. It works great except:
Whenever you boot the Mac, or run JDM, an "activity" is loaded called jsum and this runs in the background constantly. I have found that if it is left to run it causes the Mac to freeze because it interferes with the USB bus/ports. To prevent the crashes from occurring you have to go into the Activity Monitor and close the jsum activity after you boot the computer and also after you run JDM. This took me many, many hours to figure out why the Mac would crash.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N14PS
Airports: KSUA

Post by PapaSierra »

Wow! Excellent posts all. I believe we truly have a solution to backup cards and I can't wait to try out this process on my DA40. Thanks for the Mac tip Cary - that JDM/JSUM tip is a HUGE tip that actually might lead to a solution to a problem I'm having with other USB devices on my new Mac Pro.
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N14PS
Airports: KSUA

Post by PapaSierra »

carym wrote:I really don't want to add confusion to this discussion, but I want to make sure that things are clear. Jeppesen puts out software that will run natively on the Mac. It is not called JSUM, it is called Jeppesen Distribution Manager for the Mac (JDM, current version is 3.1). This is what you will use if you want to get the data files from Jeppesen. It works great except:
Whenever you boot the Mac, or run JDM, an "activity" is loaded called jsum and this runs in the background constantly. I have found that if it is left to run it causes the Mac to freeze because it interferes with the USB bus/ports. To prevent the crashes from occurring you have to go into the Activity Monitor and close the jsum activity after you boot the computer and also after you run JDM. This took me many, many hours to figure out why the Mac would crash.
OK - CaryM, if you're EVER down in south Florida please look me up because I owe you a steak dinner! I have been having MAJOR issues with my USB ports on my new MacPro and couldn't burn DVD or BluRay discs (in either of my two external burners) for the last several days. I have tried a ton of stuff but had no idea that the JDM/JSUM activity was so buggy. I'm going to write Jeppesen as they really need to fix that. I unloaded the app, rebooted the computer, checked to make sure the background was free of the JSUM app and voila! Drives work beautifully - just as before. You saved me tons of time and enabled me to complete a project on deadline - which is later today (Friday). Wow - I just can't thank you enough. Seriously - steak and your favorite beverage is on me! And, if you ever want to meet me someplace by plane that meal is on me too! :bow