2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N276LH
Airports: KSAV KGZN

Fuel Servo

Post by Mhutton »

Has anyone had to replace there fuel servo? My mechanic is saying that mine should be replaced. My idel is inconsistent, he says eventually it could fail in flight and cause the engine to quit. If this is the case I want to order a replacement tomorrow. I purchased this plane because of its safety and don't want to have any issues.
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Re: Fuel Servo

Post by Jean »

There is an AD for fuel servo but all DA40's are not concerned. Our aircraft was not concerned.
Check SI40-126 on this link. It only applies to engines with AVStar fuel system.
http://www.diamond-air.at/da40-180_si+M52087573ab0.html
Attachments
SA 080311.pdf
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Mhutton
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Mhutton »

Jean, thanks for the response. The AD does not apply to my aircraft though. It is a 2007 DA40XL 40.761. My issue is the idol is fluctuating. We have changed intake baffles, and have made the idol and mixture adjustments, and problem still not corrected. My mechanic is concerned that on short final when I pull the power out that the engine could die. I want to be safe, but do not want a extra expense if not needed.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Mhutton wrote:Jean, thanks for the response. The AD does not apply to my aircraft though. It is a 2007 DA40XL 40.761. My issue is the idol is fluctuating. We have changed intake baffles, and have made the idol and mixture adjustments, and problem still not corrected. My mechanic is concerned that on short final when I pull the power out that the engine could die. I want to be safe, but do not want a extra expense if not needed.
What is an "intake baffle"? I was going to suggest maybe an intake system leak, but these are generally referred to as intake manifolds.

There is also the fuel flow divider on top of the engine. It is field-serviceable. Has that been checked?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Moving to fine wire plugs improved our "low idle" (all the way at the stop) dramatically. The engine now idles smoothly, even when cold at the "low idle stop" (which seems to vary from 550 rpm to 750 rpm).

I agree about checking for intake manifold leaks. A leak will make it's presence known at small throttle openings (such as idle). Your mechanic should already know this.
Mhutton
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Mhutton »

It is the intake manifold I was referring to, sorry about wrong terminology. Not sure about the fuel divider will ask my mechanic.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Matt-

What was the final resolution on this problem? Was it a intake manifold leak and if so, did replacing the gaskets fix the issue?

Tim
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

I suppose it’s possible but have not seen “inconsistent idle” lead to fuel servo replacement. It seems that you would be able to confirm this by attempting to adjust the idle mixture and not being able to dial it in (getting to the max adjustment one way or the other and still not getting a good rigging). And since the servo is the most expensive fix I’d try to rule out everything else first.