2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Artiom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: KAP140 coupled approach question

Post by Artiom »

Rick wrote:
Artiom wrote:Out of curiosity - is this issue specific for KAP140 or GFC700 has the same problem?
This problem is specific to KAP140-equipped DA40's. My current DA40 has the GFC700 and is rock-solid, and the reports from other GFC owners are the same.
Rick, does your current DA40 has the same static port as KAP140 equipped?
Does GFC700 use static port for altitude or it is GPS based?
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Artiom wrote:Rick, does your current DA40 has the same static port as KAP140 equipped?
Does GFC700 use static port for altitude or it is GPS based?
I believe it has the same two static ports, one on each side of the rear fuselage, as my previous (KAP) DA40s. But I don't think the GFC700 has a direct connection to the static lines like the KAP140 does. Instead, it gets its altitude data directly from the GDC74 (which DOES connect to the static lines).
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The GFC has far more input data on which its control algorithms can be based. The KAP140 is essentially operating on partial panel.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tkramer
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N26VB
Airports: KPTK

Post by Tkramer »

Perhaps I can provide some clarification on when you "LOAD" an approach and when you "ACTIVATE" it on the G1000/430/530/650/750. When ATIS or ATC says "EXPECT" xxx approach, you "LOAD" it and review it appended to your flight plan sequenced after your destination airport. At this point remember, your clearance is to the airport so that remains your active waypoint, or you are on an ATC VECTOR in HDG mode. When ATC says you are "CLEARED" for the xxx approach, that is when you "ACTIVATE" the approach on the G1000. Activating the approach changes your next waypoint in your active flight plan from the airport to the IAF you selected when you loaded it. You are usually on an assigned heading in "HDG" mode that should cause you to intercept the final approach course 2 miles outside the FAF. If you selected "vectors" (and I suggest you not do this), the active leg will be the extended course line leading to the FAF. After "activating" the approach is when you should press the APR button to arm autopilot capture of the localizer and glide slope. The annunciations are different on the KAP140 and the G1000/GFC700 autopilots but they both capture the ILS the same way. -- Tim Kramer CFII, G1000 FITS Certified Instructor
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Post by Tim »

Artiom wrote:Not an option for me - I'm renting this DA40 :(
Where are you renting the DA40 in the Bay Area?
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Artiom
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Artiom »

Tim wrote:
Artiom wrote:Not an option for me - I'm renting this DA40 :(
Where are you renting the DA40 in the Bay Area?
California Airways at KHWD. It is quite a drive for me from South Bay Area so I'm looking for another options. Do you guys know of any DA40 partnership in South Bay Area that may have share for sale?
Artiom
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Artiom »

Tkramer wrote:Perhaps I can provide some clarification on when you "LOAD" an approach and when you "ACTIVATE" it on the G1000/430/530/650/750. When ATIS or ATC says "EXPECT" xxx approach, you "LOAD" it and review it appended to your flight plan sequenced after your destination airport. At this point remember, your clearance is to the airport so that remains your active waypoint, or you are on an ATC VECTOR in HDG mode. When ATC says you are "CLEARED" for the xxx approach, that is when you "ACTIVATE" the approach on the G1000. Activating the approach changes your next waypoint in your active flight plan from the airport to the IAF you selected when you loaded it. You are usually on an assigned heading in "HDG" mode that should cause you to intercept the final approach course 2 miles outside the FAF. If you selected "vectors" (and I suggest you not do this), the active leg will be the extended course line leading to the FAF. After "activating" the approach is when you should press the APR button to arm autopilot capture of the localizer and glide slope. The annunciations are different on the KAP140 and the G1000/GFC700 autopilots but they both capture the ILS the same way. -- Tim Kramer CFII, G1000 FITS Certified Instructor
Tim, thanks for the explanation. Will try it next time I fly ILS approach.
nathanda40
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nathan
Aircraft Registration: 98P
Airports: KSMO

Post by nathanda40 »

Marc_CYBW wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 pm Here is what I do:

1. I use NAV and GPS source as matter of course in IFR flights.
2. Load ILS - Vectors Approach into Flight Plan
3. Press HDG on PFD to ensure HDG matches heading being tracked by AP/GPS combo
4. Change AP to HDG and use HDG to respond to vectors from ATC - use pre-planned approach power settings.
5. Activate Approach in FPL
6. Switch data source to ILS and verify correct localizer on PFD display
7. On final vector to intercept, switch from HDG to ROL on KAP140
8. Press APR on KAP140 to arm approach (APR is displayed in lower display line)
9. KAP 140 will capture localizer on 30 degree intercept and turn the plane.
10. KAP 140 will eventually capture glide slope - reduce power to your pre-set power settings (mine are 90 KTS /13", 2400 and TO flaps)
11. Fly on AP to just above minimums and switch off. Continue to landing or missed.

Marc
Marc or others -

What is the purpose of your step #7? Trying to troubleshoot our DA40 which is tricky to get the KAP140 to capture the glideslope.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

Here is what I laminated up when I was getting my IR in the plane (note my planes has 530W but function of KAP-140 is the same)

ILS Approach

1. Load Approach in FPL
2. On vectors, activate leg that you will intercept
3. On own nav or to IAF, activate approach
4. Set CDI to VLOC
5. Set NAV1 to localizer freq (flip-flop)
6. Fly to intercept localizer in HDG and ALT hold mode.
7. Set OBS to localizer heading (final approach crse hdg)
8. On intercept course arm approach mode (push APR button). AP will display “APP armed.” (note: according to KAP-140 manual, you don’t have to arm APP – it will automatically capture and switch to APP mode)
9. As localizer capture occurs, AP will turn onto localizer course and HDG mode will switch to APP.
10. When on localizer course, GS is automatically armed. AP shows “GSarm”
11. When GS is captured, ALT mode is replaced by GS indication on face of KAP-140.

Missed
1. When you fly past MAP, FP sequencing will be automatically suspended.
2. Pitch-up, Power-up, Clean-up, Trim-up.
3. When at least 400 AGL (??) you can reactivate AP in HDG, VS mode and arm the climb-out altitude.
4. Once straight-out altitude specified in plate is attained, you can re-activate sequencing by pressing OBS button. Arm the NAV and you are on you way.
5. Before you reach holding fix, 530W will display entry type. When you reach a holding fix, sequencing will be automatically suspended. Set OBS mode and use HSI OBS knob to set inbound HDG. Fly holding pattern accordingly.

In my experience, the KAP-140 in APR mode has no problems capturing the approach even from a shallow angle or even on the approach crse.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
nathanda40
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nathan
Aircraft Registration: 98P
Airports: KSMO

Post by nathanda40 »

perossichi wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 pm Here is what I laminated up when I was getting my IR in the plane (note my planes has 530W but function of KAP-140 is the same)

ILS Approach

1. Load Approach in FPL
2. On vectors, activate leg that you will intercept
3. On own nav or to IAF, activate approach
4. Set CDI to VLOC
5. Set NAV1 to localizer freq (flip-flop)
6. Fly to intercept localizer in HDG and ALT hold mode.
7. Set OBS to localizer heading (final approach crse hdg)
8. On intercept course arm approach mode (push APR button). AP will display “APP armed.” (note: according to KAP-140 manual, you don’t have to arm APP – it will automatically capture and switch to APP mode)
9. As localizer capture occurs, AP will turn onto localizer course and HDG mode will switch to APP.
10. When on localizer course, GS is automatically armed. AP shows “GSarm”
11. When GS is captured, ALT mode is replaced by GS indication on face of KAP-140.

Missed
1. When you fly past MAP, FP sequencing will be automatically suspended.
2. Pitch-up, Power-up, Clean-up, Trim-up.
3. When at least 400 AGL (??) you can reactivate AP in HDG, VS mode and arm the climb-out altitude.
4. Once straight-out altitude specified in plate is attained, you can re-activate sequencing by pressing OBS button. Arm the NAV and you are on you way.
5. Before you reach holding fix, 530W will display entry type. When you reach a holding fix, sequencing will be automatically suspended. Set OBS mode and use HSI OBS knob to set inbound HDG. Fly holding pattern accordingly.

In my experience, the KAP-140 in APR mode has no problems capturing the approach even from a shallow angle or even on the approach crse.
Awesome, thank you this is very helpful. Any idea on the Marc person's point # 7 which said "7. On final vector to intercept, switch from HDG to ROL on KAP140"?

Trying to figure out the point of switching to ROL from HDG mode as you are about to intercept the glideslope. Is it just so you can also turn your heading bug to the final approach course without the AP turning you?