5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: wing walk replacement

Post by carym »

smoss wrote:For those of you with the new paint on wing walk:
It appears the stripes are painted on pretty far apart. Are you getting lots of scratches and wear in the paint between them, or does it not seem to be a problem?
So far no problem for me either.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
JimP
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KANE

Post by JimP »

While flying at 8,000 feet at minus 22 degrees Celsius (149 Knots TAS) I felt a pull like something hit the airplane and the right wing dropped slightly. My first thought was a bird strike but it was January in northern Minnesota at 8,000 feet. Everything appeared fine so I continued to my destination to find the right wing walk completely gone. The forward 1/4 inch had been loose and apparently that was all it took in the cold weather for enough air to get under it to peel it off. It left very thick adhesive patch on the wing.

I found that the adhesive could be quickly removed using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984. Pour it on, let it sit for a minute or two, and then slide it off with a single edge razor. This product does not damage the paint. Start towards the back where it is relatively level. As it dissolves the adhesive it becomes a thick goop that will not run off the more forward area where the slope is greater.

After removing the adhesive, the paint was left in better condition than that on the rest of the airplane. The whole process took less than 30 minutes.
Jim
2007 DA40
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Referencing the other related thread "Wing Walk upgrade", I replaced my right side wing walk (the gray sandpaper style one) with 2 inch safety tape. I opted for the gray instead of clear as I want my passengers to clearly see where to step. To remove the adhesive after pulling off the old walk, I used duct tape (duck tape brand) which I just taped on, then slowly pulled off. This technique cleanly removed all the stuck on adhesive in about 15 minutes total for the whole area, with no residue left at all. I made a paper template from the old wing walk shape, then measured and marked the template to evenly space the pieces, then marked the individual strips to size per the template, and cut them out. Before applying the strips, I placed blue masking tape around the old zone as a guide (the edges can be seen as small scratches/wear zones in the right light. Using the masked area as a guide, and the measured spacing (1 cm between each strip), I first applied the inboard strip, then worked outward lining them up. The final installation looks very neat and clean (although the pics are a bit blurry from low light ipad pic). I have not tackled the pilot side yet. I imagine the longer strips will definitely be more unwieldy to deal with.
Attachments
wing walk.JPG
wing walk 2.JPG
Steve
DA40 XL
diamond_flyer
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: richard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: n647ds
Airports:

Post by diamond_flyer »

I know this is an older thread, but the duct strip worked flawlessly. Literally had the walk strips removed and adhesive removed in one hour. I ordered some clear walk strip from aircraft spruce. Hope it turns out good.
agmolnar
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arpad
Aircraft Registration: N787PV
Airports: KHWD

Post by agmolnar »

smoss wrote:Referencing the other related thread "Wing Walk upgrade", I replaced my right side wing walk (the gray sandpaper style one) with 2 inch safety tape. I opted for the gray instead of clear as I want my passengers to clearly see where to step. To remove the adhesive after pulling off the old walk, I used duct tape (duck tape brand) which I just taped on, then slowly pulled off. This technique cleanly removed all the stuck on adhesive in about 15 minutes total for the whole area, with no residue left at all. I made a paper template from the old wing walk shape, then measured and marked the template to evenly space the pieces, then marked the individual strips to size per the template, and cut them out. Before applying the strips, I placed blue masking tape around the old zone as a guide (the edges can be seen as small scratches/wear zones in the right light. Using the masked area as a guide, and the measured spacing (1 cm between each strip), I first applied the inboard strip, then worked outward lining them up. The final installation looks very neat and clean (although the pics are a bit blurry from low light ipad pic). I have not tackled the pilot side yet. I imagine the longer strips will definitely be more unwieldy to deal with.
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you for the guide!

So much better than the wing walk diamond sold me for several hundred dollars which lasted maybe 18 months and after two years looked like this:
DA40 wing walk old - 1.jpg
DA40 wing walk - 1.jpg
DA40 wing walk - 2.jpg
N787PV
2007 DA40.695
Oakland, CA
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Awesoeme Arpad! Looks great. Mine is still holding up perfectly from my install over 2 years ago.
Steve
DA40 XL