ihfanjv
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: None
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Da40 purchase

Post by ihfanjv »

Thank you for getting personal. Very helpful.

Anyone who knows the DA40 would agree that there is not an untrue statement in any of my posts. As I noted, my comments set forth the known issues with the DA40 that a prospective owner should know about before purchasing. It is better to go into a transaction with known knowns rather than unknown unknowns.

An informed buyer should be armed with knowledge before entering a transaction. The purpose of this board is to share collective knowledge. I am sure most intelligent people would agree. I am sorry you are offended.
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Hello Hans,

Suggest you operate the plane in Europe.... The Diamond is a excellent plane for personal use. It needs a bit more care due to the composite airframe. That's why the flying clubs tend more to C's and P's. If you using it privatly .. The DA40 is definite the better choice. If you planning to fly more than 100hrs it's worth to look into a Diesel, if less the Lyc is the favorite. I myself rely more of the proven Lyc Power.

Thomas
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

I have a 2007 XL DA40; had it for 4 years now and not had any of the issues mentioned
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Having owned my Star for 10 years, I don't know what the reference to the shaking panel is. There is some vibration, yes, but not unusual for a 4-cylinder engine. And there have been no instrument failures - only one burned out bulb in the panel annunciator and the fluid leaked out of the magnetic compass after 9 years-cheaply fixed.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
cbrinton
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N563DS 40.863
Airports: KHPN

Post by cbrinton »

ihfanjv wrote:I have seen AI failures in newer low-hours DA40s that I suspect is caused by the shaking panel. I have seen problems with G1000 panels that do not seem to occur with G1000 installations in other aircraft. The AI costs thousands to overhaul (not including AOG time). The G1000 swap-outs are not cheap either. This is certainly more of a problem with training aircraft that start up and shut down many times a day, rather than personal use aircraft. But, the first time an experienced pilot sits in a DA40 and sees the panel shaking, rattling, and rolling that pilot will inevitably look at you and say "that can't be normal" (it is normal in a DA40).
I have a 2008XLS and I had to replace my backup AI at about 300hrs and I can believe it was shaking related even though I had the 3 blade composite MT prop at the time. I just replaced it with the 2 blade Hartzell aluminum and Im quite astonished at how much the shaking at shutdown has increased. I'll be trying Kai's technique to reduce the shaking, but I must admit that Im fearfull for the backup AI again. I'll probably go with an Aspen if the mechanical unit has another problem.

Overall, I think that ihfanjv's list is a useful list of things to be watchful for during prebuy across the entire DA40 fleet rather than an expectation of things that are likely to be wrong with a particular DA40.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

My recollection is that the wing spar bonding issue only applied to a limited number of AC. A small percentage of those required the repair, although I don't know the exact number. According to Diamond, the issue did not affect safety of flight.

The other inspections are not bad (except maybe removing the wings at 1000 hours). I have a 2001 model, and it has required very little unscheduled maintenance. I have done all of the annual inspections as owner-assisted, so I know the airplane quite well.

Steve
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Hans

I can only add to Thomas' point of view. It is a great plane to fly, and I have experience with Pipers and Cessnas. I would never look back.
It is however expensive to maintain, especially in Europe.

Considering the very small number built (less than 2000 in all forms), this is very very far from the mature product we have come to expect from say the auto industry. We have to swallow the fact that many items that would fall under the "manufacturer liability" category in the auto industry are here paid for by us, the owners. This is just a fact of life with a certified plane, regardless of the brand.

I have recently increased my annual budget for maintenance and repairs by 50% to CHF 12'000 or approximately $ 12500. From now on, I will have a different mindset as the bills come in.

Safe flying
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Antoine wrote:
Considering the very small number built (less than 2000 in all forms), this is very very far from the mature product we have come to expect from say the auto industry. We have to swallow the fact that many items that would fall under the "manufacturer liability" category in the auto industry are here paid for by us, the owners. This is just a fact of life with a certified plane, regardless of the brand.

I have recently increased my annual budget for maintenance and repairs by 50% to CHF 12'000 or approximately $ 12500. From now on, I will have a different mindset as the bills come in.
Fully agree with Antoine. It is remarkable to see that you spend 10% of a price of a plane on a car, and there are really never surprises on a car. A boat is similar to a plane, I guess. I have also increased my maintenance allowance for the plane. Hey, even spent less last year than my (increased) budget so made some money! Bought myself a nice little christmas present to celebrate :)

Flying is expensive, no way around it. Forgetting amortization and loss-of-interest helps a bit..
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Aart wrote:
Antoine wrote:

Fully agree with Antoine. It is remarkable to see that you spend 10% of a price of a plane on a car, and there are really never surprises on a car. A boat is similar to a plane, I guess. I have also increased my maintenance allowance for the plane. Hey, even spent less last year than my (increased) budget so made some money! Bought myself a nice little christmas present to celebrate :)

Flying is expensive, no way around it. Forgetting amortization and loss-of-interest helps a bit..
Aart you are the man! We need you at the ECB to save us and the Euro. I knew there was a way. :D :D :D
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The tone of this thread has been led by the second post. While each item he listed is a legitimate concern I would have to say that the overall tone of the Diamond being a problem airplane is absolutely false. This is a terrific airplane that has been relatively maintenance free. Diamond does have an item or two in Chapter 4 of the AMM that seem a bit excessive (rudder cable replacement) I have not found in my 5 years of ownership of two airframes that my maintenance bills are excessive.

Like any aircraft if you hand it over to maintenance with a signed blank check then your bills will always be high. If you stay involved with the airplane and are willing to do some of the preventive maintenance yourself and educate yourself on which chapter 5 items are excessive and written by attorneys then your bills will be far lower and your airplane will be safer.

As far as the AD's being expensive? This is false.
As far as the passenger door coming off? If you latch the door before attempting flight then you will keep your door on the airplane.
Cracks in the door hinge...easy to see and usually cosmetic and not actually structural cracks (unless someone tried to fly with the door unlatched).
Wing AD...all airframes should already be inspected.
Shaking of the inst. panel...YEP. Not a big deal and my instruments have been fine.
Blocking of the vents...Use your head and don't block the vents.

Etc, Etc, You get the point. The airplane is a great airplane and I have not found them to be overly expensive in regards to maintenance. You have to use your head and not give the maintenance department a blank check. The list of RECOMMENDATIONS in Chapter 5 is exhaustive. The list of Mandatory items in Chapter 4 is not a big deal. One 5 year item seems excessive but is not that big of a deal.