smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: DIY - Replacing Main Tire and Tube

Post by smoss »

The torque values for the hub bolts are on a sticker in the middle of the rim. You can also get them from the Cleveland website from a big table showing all the values for different wheels.
Steve
DA40 XL
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

smoss wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:56 am Additional suggestion to add to the original post... Breaking the bead on the old tire is truly insanely hard manually, and very frustrating. After learning my lesson the painful way, I invested in a $45 bead breaker from Harbor Freight (after 20% off coupon), and it worked great! Simple and fast. The device has a metal nub on the bottom that will hit the hub of our tires, so I simply put 2 pieces of wood under the wheel to raise it up a bit. Best $45 I've spent on the plane in a while. No clue why a similar device is $200+ at Spruce.
https://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html
Harbor freight is absolutely great when I need a tool once. (And I mean that sincerely) Because they seldom last beyond the single job they were purchased for.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

CBeak wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:39 amHarbor freight is absolutely great when I need a tool once. (And I mean that sincerely) Because they seldom last beyond the single job they were purchased for.
In the past, I've bought some tools and other stuff from Harbor Freight, and have mostly been satisfied. But, lately, I've been making a special effort to avoid purchasing anything made in China. As an example, a Harbor Freight bench vise is less than $100, and would likely been sufficient for my needs (my usage isn't industrial, more like occasional). But, instead, I bought a Yost vise (American made, and > 2X as much) which is really better than I can imagine needing.

My motives, well, you can guess. Not just quality...

Sorry about the thread drift.

Steve