4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: alexanderk
Aircraft Type: DA20
Airports: CYPK

Anyone went from 20 to 40?

Post by alexanderk »

How did you find the transition?

Not in a sense "how it flies", I am curious if it met your expectations, hopes etc? Was it a good step up from the 20? Any second thoughts, etc?

I am starting to look at the market, searching for a suitable XL or XLS. But still figuring out if this is a smart thing to do. The mission is local flying, and x-country. Two people.
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Re: Anyone went from 20 to 40?

Post by Henrik »

Ask yourself *why* you want to upgrade - which specific objectives aren't met by your current DA20?
alexanderk
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by alexanderk »

I am under impression that the 40 is still a passable airplane for the local flights for that "pie". And does better for x-country: more cargo space, more fuel on-board hence somewhat better range. And enables one to work on and fly light-duty IFR.

At the same time all of above for tripple the cost to buy and maintain. Which seems still manageable (given that the 20 has been next to nothing for that).
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

So I reckon you're looking for an overall general aircraft upgrade. The DA40 definitely fits the bill.

But as I've never flown a DA20 myself, I'll let other people comment on the transitional specifics...
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

The single biggest advantage to the upgrade would be the ability to fly ifr. Next would be payload and general comfort. The 40 will do essentially everything the 20 will do except do them better, except for spins. :-D
I would strongly suggest the full boat load xls. (G1000, SVT, GFC700, WAAS, TAS600, XM weather)
The situational awareness that that setup gives you broadens your ifr capabilities. The extended 50 gallon tanks literally take away any threat of fuel exhaustion, at least for me and my wife. Two to three hours flight time is the norm for a leg. After that, we're on the ground for a pee break. Also, in the event the airport you had planned on refueling at has an unplanned fuel pump breakdown, or, some other event that prevents you from getting fuel at the location you had planned, you still have plenty of fuel to go to another airport without sweating bullets wondering how close to empty you will get. In my book, the only time you have to much fuel is when you're on fire and that's pretty much a Cirrus issue. :-D The cg with the 50 gal. tanks is not an issue for me. I never have a problem flying well within the limits and I prefer a light stick.
All the above is just my opinion, but, I'm usually always right, just ask my wife and kids. :D
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

I did my PPL on the 20 and bought a 40 around the time I got my license. I was checked on the 40 after just 2 hours with my instructor and with about 55 hours of total flying experience. I actually found the 40 to be easier to handle than the 20 as turbulence doesn't toss it around as much.

My point is the transition is very easy. The only real difference is the variable pitch prop. Everything else feels very similar.

Happy shopping!
alexanderk
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by alexanderk »

Thank you guys!

Henrik's comment was spot on: I am looking for a general airplane upgrade. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about my 20, but there are things that I also like - glass cockpit, autopilot, IFR, baggage space.

The transition itself does not worry me (I have flown the 40 a couple of times). It flyers very similar, just a bit less "fun" - slower in pitch and roll, little bit less responsive. Stalls 10 knots higher, same top speed, same TO/LDG distances. Easier to fly straight (more stable, and positive stability vs neutral on the 20). Easier to land indeed. My wife will forgive the spins, though i love doing them. Realistically, it does not even require any transition training, we all can fly the 20/40 interchangeably.

I am trying to figure how happy will I be once I do the switch. Purchase anxiety you could say :) So thank you very much on the XLS packaging comment, x-country experience, fuel etc.
alexanderk
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by alexanderk »

Interesting perspective coming from my CFI (class I aerobatic instructor as well). We were practicing canyon turns (70-90 degree bank on the edge of stall) the other day, and his comment was - "now imagine yourself doing it in the DA40. I'd have to muscle it into those turns. Not easy. It is an airliner!"

This was interesting for me. Apparently per this person, the DA40 controls in these maneuvers are heavy, and the roll rate is 2/3 of the DA20 roll rate. He is not a fan of the 40 at all. But he is one of those 8,000h+ airshow low-level aerobatics guys, not exactly transferrable to my level.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

alexanderk wrote:Interesting perspective coming from my CFI (class I aerobatic instructor as well). We were practicing canyon turns (70-90 degree bank on the edge of stall) the other day, and his comment was - "now imagine yourself doing it in the DA40. I'd have to muscle it into those turns. Not easy. It is an airliner!"

This was interesting for me. Apparently per this person, the DA40 controls in these maneuvers are heavy, and the roll rate is 2/3 of the DA20 roll rate. He is not a fan of the 40 at all. But he is one of those 8,000h+ airshow low-level aerobatics guys, not exactly transferrable to my level.
Regarding your CFI; he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. :scratch:
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Define "heavy". I think this is somewhat subjective. The 40 will do a mountain turn like any other plane, but it is not an aerobatics plane.