3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Contract on a 2007 DA40XL

Post by Tim M »

My three partners and I have just signed a contract for a 2007 DA40XL and seek advice on what to look for in the pre-purchase inspection. It just came out of annual in December.

It's non-WAAS nor is the SVT enabled. For those of you who have the SVT, is it worth the $10K price tag?

So if you were going to do it again, what would you look for from a mechanical perspective?
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Re: Contract on a 2007 DA40XL

Post by Tommy »

Tim M wrote:My three partners and I have just signed a contract for a 2007 DA40XL and seek advice on what to look for in the pre-purchase inspection. It just came out of annual in December.

It's non-WAAS nor is the SVT enabled. For those of you who have the SVT, is it worth the $10K price tag?

So if you were going to do it again, what would you look for from a mechanical perspective?
The SVT is definitely worth it and WAAS is going to be more and more of a requirement in the future especially regarding ADS B. I guess it depends on where you fly and how long you plan on having the airplane.
Having SVT and WAAS, I don't know what I would do without it. I makes life so much easier and safer.
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim M »

Tommy wrote:The SVT is definitely worth it and WAAS is going to be more and more of a requirement in the future especially regarding ADS B. I guess it depends on where you fly and how long you plan on having the airplane.
Having SVT and WAAS, I don't know what I would do without it. I makes life so much easier and safer.
Based in Dallas (KRBD). Most of our flights will be in Texas and the surrounding states. We have a "forced sale" clause in our LLC operating agreement that will put the airplane on the market after 3 years unless we unanimously agree to keep it going.
Last edited by Tim M on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Tim M wrote:My three partners and I have just signed a contract for a 2007 DA40XL and seek advice on what to look for in the pre-purchase inspection. It just came out of annual in December.

I haven't gone through this myself so others can probably help more on the pre-inspection items. One item is the rudder cable replacement since you are at the 5 yr mark.

With respect to the WAAS or SVT depends if you are IFR or VFR. For VFR flying I would suggest saving the money since you aren't going to be doing WAAS approaches. If you are IFR, then WAAS will help a lot if you are going to different airports since RNAV LPV approaches are being added in many places and ILS are limited to what is in place now (too expensive to install an ILS). SVT does add more situational awareness on an IFR approach but I am sure you can argue the cost vs benefit to get it or not. I have it on my plane and do like it in IMC but I am not sure I would spend the 10K on it. The G1000 already provides great situational awareness I am mixed on this one. If you are in a high terrrain area, then it might be quite valuable since it displays the terrain elevation around you, and at night or IMC, could make a big difference. If you can go up in a plane with it, that might help you decide.
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim M »

Graham wrote:I haven't gone through this myself so others can probably help more on the pre-inspection items. One item is the rudder cable replacement since you are at the 5 yr mark.
Rudder cables just replaced in December.
Graham wrote: With respect to the WAAS or SVT depends if you are IFR or VFR. For VFR flying I would suggest saving the money since you aren't going to be doing WAAS approaches. If you are IFR, then WAAS will help a lot if you are going to different airports since RNAV LPV approaches are being added in many places and ILS are limited to what is in place now (too expensive to install an ILS). SVT does add more situational awareness on an IFR approach but I am sure you can argue the cost vs benefit to get it or not. I have it on my plane and do like it in IMC but I am not sure I would spend the 10K on it. The G1000 already provides great situational awareness I am mixed on this one. If you are in a high terrrain area, then it might be quite valuable since it displays the terrain elevation around you, and at night or IMC, could make a big difference. If you can go up in a plane with it, that might help you decide.
All four of us are IFR but all of us have higher personal minima than the typical WAAS procedure. I could see where the LPV would be nice to have though, even with my higher minima, just as I do with the typical ILS.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

If there are four partners, then SVT doesn't have to be worth $10K to anybody as long as it is worth $2500 to each of you. That said, we have three partners in an XL and have neither WAAS or SVT yet, although that may change after the third partner finishes his IFR.

For pre-purchase inspections, I'd definitely check the PowerFlow to make sure it has been maintained properly. Also check for signs of delamination on the MT prop if it hasn't already been addressed.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

By the way Tim. Congratulations and welcome to the party.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

I also believe WAAS adds a benefit of being able to claim a GPS approach at your alternate where a non-WAAS you can't (I am in Canada so not completely versed in the US regs). There is also an extra feature in a WAAS GPS that on the missed, it will not auto sequence to the next waypoint if you have to climb before turning.

Another nice feature for GPS (LNAV) approaches with WAAS is a vertical track that you can use down to minimums and then fly at those minimums to the MAP. It stops the drive and drop approach and allows you to do a stabilized approach to the min alt. Not all airport LNAV have it but it is increasing.
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Hello Tim,
We own a 2004 G1000 DA40 since 2009 (two shares). We unlocked SVT which was 10K Euros, so, quite expensive but we don't regret. It's useful wether IFR or VFR. You might consider a portable device like Aera 795, iPad or equivallent. But having SVT on your PFD which, by definition, is your primary intrument is very comfortable.
Inspect the passenger door hinges. They are prone to cracks. We had to replace them short after buying. Expensive. We did not check them on pre-purchase inspection.
Otherwise no bad surprise with our DA40. We are very happy with her !
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim M »

Great suggestions. Please keep them coming. Our pre-purchase inspection is scheduled for this Friday, 2/24. I am flying (commercial) to meet the mechanic we have contracted to do the inspection at the airport where the airplane is currently based. If all goes well we have to plan a long xc ferry from south Florida to Dallas where our new baby has a comfortable hangar waiting for her arrival.