5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

DA40 directional gyro

Post by Charles »

The DG in my steam gauge DA40 has failed (again) and I want to replace it this time around instead of trying to fix it again. The original one is an AIM 205-1BLD which seems to be unique to the DA40. In fact I suspect the D in the model number stands for Diamond. I can easily find AIM 205-1BL in stock at some avionics shops, but no one carries the 205-1BLD.

Anyone know what the difference between the 205-1BLD and the 205-1BL is? Would it be legal to replace the original DG with any other TSOd electric DG?

Charles
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA40 directional gyro

Post by Steve »

Don't know about your specific question, but have you thought about installing a HSI?

Steve
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

I had the same some time ago, "Heading Flag" on. I was doing some t/s and finally found only the plug to the HSI loose. No problem since then. Did you check that out.
thomas
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

After overhauling the unit last year, the motor has now failed and two attempts to repair it have proven unsuccessful and I've had it with it. I can confirm it is getting power, but it's just not spinning.

As for putting in an HSI, I just don't see the need given that I don't have an AP. I'm looking at a $1400 exchange cost for a 205-1BL DG. Putting in an HSI with the compass would be well over $5k. If I can just confirm that the 205-1BL would be legal and would work in the DA40, that would be the best solution.

Next best thing is to replace the DG by another brand altogether. A TSOd RC Allen can be bought for about $2500 brand new. A brand new AIM 205-1BLD goes for $5300 which is just ridiculous for a non-slaved DG without so much as a heading bug.

That's one of the pains of the steam gauge version of the DA40, but I don't regret my choice at all (I'll go post something in that thread about the DA40 vs. DA20).
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Have you called Diamond directly? I have found them to be very helpful.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

My HSI went bad a week after I got a 3 year old DA40 so I sent it in to have it repaired. I think it cost about 2k to have it"overhauled", whatever that means. You might consider upgrading to an Aspen avionics PFD if you have the cash.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

Diamond referred us to a dealer who referred us to Mid Continent. I called them and they said the "D" model seems to have a different connector but is identical in all other respects. Their quote to overhaul the unit is $1975 (you could buy two brand new vacuum gyros for that price!) and they have an exchange unit in stock.

Speaking of the connector, one of our avionics techs here believes the problems might be due to a faulty connection so we'll give that a try before ordering the exchange unit. Will pirep. Thanks for all the advice.