5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Re: Garmin 796

Post by Gary »

Lance Murray wrote: I could go on and on about the pros and cons of the two. But my third DA-40 if I completely lose my mind will be like this:

Buy a steam gage DA40. Add the G-500 and the new Garmin touch screen stack with the integrated stuff (weather, transponder and really cool audio panel). Live with the less capable KAP-140, add the larger rudder, add the 4-way baggage, add the Hartzell two blade prop and the gross weight increase. Maybe add the Supercharger if that works out. In the end I may spend as much as a G-1000 plane but I think it will be the best DA-40 flying. The only loss with this setup is not having the extended tanks. That is a big deal but maybe there is a way of getting them installed.

I will likely do this setup in something a bit faster and longer legged. I have always wanted an Aerostar so maybe some day I will build one up. Unfortunately a very experience Fed-Ex pilot just crashed his Aerostar 700P after takeoff. That took a little wind out of my sails for the airplane though.
:D I agree but it looks like I will need to trade in the 530W/430W for the GTN-750/650. I have a 2003 steam gauge upgraded to the G500 and love it. The panel is a hodge podge of various things but it is very intuitive and when things go bad it is easier to know the source of the trouble. My earlier DA40 has a very good useful load, check out the W&B section of the wiki. Here is the link to the gallery photo of my panel: http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/ga ... &sd=d&st=0
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Lance, suggest you are flying a EFIS -400 Jumbo or is it a classic. (It was called classic these days). Steam or G1000 DA40; I had also to make this decision 3 years ago. A friend of mine, retired MD11 Cmdr gave me the good advice to go for a low hour steam one. I am so happy now, anyway in the European weather with a non-deicing plane, only VFR flying is announced. And now unfortunately, due to my job, I find not enough time to fly more than 50 hrs./year. It’s much easier to have the kind of equipment you are used to it since the beginning. Despite I am a bit older than you (56) this is a bit different with us than with the new generation of our fellow pilots. They grow up with screens in front, from phones to flight instruments. But anyway I am looking forward to the time in a few years when I am harvesting the now invested time (and money) … and spending it in my, maybe G500 or what is then the best equipment, cockpit in my then still modern DA40 airframe. Thomas
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

I knew I was forgetting something!
Here's the picture of my installation. Next thing on the list is to hardwire this thing.
Attachments
DSC_0403.jpg
DSC_0403.jpg (113.54 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Thomas,

I am flying the 747-400. I have learned to truly love the glass. Previously i was on the 767.

I find myself the owner of both a G-1000 and also a semi-steam gage WAAS DA40 with the Aspen display and Avidyne traffic. I change my mind every other day as to which one I will sell. I think my decision will ultimately be made on which fits my mission for the least cost. The Older plane carries more weight and just seems to feel better. The newer one with the glass is very nice but overkill for my mission. Maybe I will put them both up for sale and see which one sells first.

Lance

Thomas wrote:Lance, suggest you are flying a EFIS -400 Jumbo or is it a classic. (It was called classic these days). Steam or G1000 DA40; I had also to make this decision 3 years ago. A friend of mine, retired MD11 Cmdr gave me the good advice to go for a low hour steam one. I am so happy now, anyway in the European weather with a non-deicing plane, only VFR flying is announced. And now unfortunately, due to my job, I find not enough time to fly more than 50 hrs./year. It’s much easier to have the kind of equipment you are used to it since the beginning. Despite I am a bit older than you (56) this is a bit different with us than with the new generation of our fellow pilots. They grow up with screens in front, from phones to flight instruments. But anyway I am looking forward to the time in a few years when I am harvesting the now invested time (and money) … and spending it in my, maybe G500 or what is then the best equipment, cockpit in my then still modern DA40 airframe. Thomas
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Moonshine wrote:I knew I was forgetting something!
Here's the picture of my installation. Next thing on the list is to hardwire this thing.
Very nice spot.
Did you need a sign up for fixing that Ram mount ?
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

alexanderk wrote:"Has anyone come up with a clean solution for mounting a 796. Other than a stick mount I mean."

Guys, do you see any problem with mounting the 796 on the stick? I re-read the original question, thought "why not", ran to the hangar to try and it actually appears to be a semi-decent way to do it.

Anyone tried? Or are there any reasons this is not a great idea?
I use it this way. Have for years. Puts the charts and other info right in front of you, almost like it's part of the panel. But you can not be of Pillsbury dough-boy build, as you would then lose stick authority.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Post by Moonshine »

Jean wrote:Very nice spot.
Did you need a sign up for fixing that Ram mount ?
Nope, nothing to sign, since there's no modification to the aircraft - same thing as if you put on the yoke mount or a stick-on CO detector.
From what I've gathered, hardwiring will require an A&P entry in the logbook and if I was to panel-mount it (like with an AirGizmo dock) that might require a field approval/337 (depending on the FSDO).
Since I'm not modifying anything to mount the GPS, no sign-off is required (pretty sure I wouldn't need one even if I had to drill a couple of holes to bolt the ball on), and I will get the logbook entry when I hook it up to the audio panel and power supply.
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: gsontheimer
Aircraft Registration: N937DS
Airports: EDHL

Post by gsontheimer »

My new 796.
Attachments
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG (237.49 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Gerhard

N937DS: DA40.992 (2008 XLS)
FAA: ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI
EASA: CPL(A)-IR, FI(A), IRI, FE(A), IRE(A)
Cirrus TCI