3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Re: Lithium Backup Battery Pack

Post by Kurt h »

They are in Kentucky, 270-826-6000 and ask for the parts dept. The parts guy I worked with in the past left, but the new guy was very helpful recently as well.

They can do all the DA-40 parts I have needed over the years. Be ready with the Diamond part number from the online catalog.
Kurt
2004 DA40.391
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

Thanks Kurt.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

I used Don Davis aviation for my new pack on my 12 XLS. They had one on the shelf. Price was comparatively reasonable and they were great people to work with.
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Does anyone have an expired D41-2560-93-00 (12 cell) backup battery pack that they are willing to give up? If so, please PM me.

Sandy
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

In my ongoing research relating to changing out Li-ion cells in various devices (including the popular Tile "item locators"), it appears that the issue is that it can be quite dangerous to simply solder to a cell, as the heat from the soldering iron can do (really) bad things when applied. Accordingly, I found that the proper way to make permanent connections to such cells involves the use of a battery spot welder, which uses a two point probe to spot weld a metal strip to the cell. As I have a number of Tiles (attached to various key rings, etc.), and as they use commonly available CR2032 cells, that are "permanently" within the sealed plastic Tile unit, I am considering the acquisition of a battery spot welder, with which I believe that I would be able to properly "service" the backup battery, or at least replace the CR2032's in my numerous Tiles.

Sandy
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

Looks as though you can get a spot welder on ebay for about $120. Guess it would pay for itself first time out. Wish I had some other applications for it. Let us know your progress.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Sandy, You raise a very important point in the risks of soldering. However, if you have the right equipment (in this case a high wattage, not a low wattage iron, preferably a gun) and are proficient in temperature management techniques, I do not see a risk. I have soldered heat sensitive components since I built my first home brew receiver at age five and have been creating batteries from Li-Ion cells since they have been on the market. With the right techniques, you will generate low internal cell heat with less risk of a faulty connection than you will experience with a manual micro spot weld. I have not had a failure among the hundreds of cells I have soldered. Anyone can do as well with a little practice.