1 Diamond Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N431DE
Airports: KSGJ

Re: Autopilot

Post by ScottF »

Thanks, enjoying the board.

All would be good on the A/P then at about 15-20 minutes into the flight it would just stop working and usually bank to the left. The problem is the a/p would not show any faults or warnings. Just acted as if all was ok. If in IMC could be a real issue as no warmings.

After spending +2k to replace T&B and checking my HSI (2002 steam) Honeywell said it sounds like the SB will fix my issue. They are going to replace the top cover of the autopilot. They say the top cover is blocked by the mounting assembly (as you slide it in) and the pins aren't seated properly. They also mentioned you can tell if you have the s/b completed by pulling the unit out and if the top cover isn't slanted at the back then it needs to be done. The unit must be sent back to them for the s/b as the unit must be recertified after. Also supposed to be a no charge repair. Will advise when back. Thanks
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I will be MOST INTERESTED in hearing your feedback when you get your unit back. I can see where the KC140 not seating properly could cause any of these issues, and then some! This is certainly a new wrinkle to an old SB that I had never heard before...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
ScottF
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N431DE
Airports: KSGJ

Post by ScottF »

Received my a/p back from Honeywell and happy to report all appears to be good. They did the mentioned s/b and checked the unit for me with no other repairs needed. I've flown approx 3 hours, put it through the paces and is working 100%.

Will add i see no visual difference in the cover. Also noted that before the repair I could hear the servo's through the audio, now i hear nothing. Honeywell claims this happens when the pins aren't seating properly.

I encourage all to explore the s/b as a possible cure to a/p issues in the 40. Total cost of the repair including overnight return shipping $300.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

That's great news, Scott. I hope that solves your AP problems for good.

The mechanic was sure it was our pitch servo and sent it off for a rebuild. They sent it back and said there was nothing wrong with it. So... this SB sounds like the next logical step to me. I will forward this info to the owner.

Thanks!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

Not sure if Scott is still around; Rick, what was the impact of having this SB completed on your autopilot? I have the exact issue Scott reported. A certain amount of time into the flight, AP gets the leans to the left.
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

LTek1 wrote:Not sure if Scott is still around; Rick, what was the impact of having this SB completed on your autopilot? I have the exact issue Scott reported. A certain amount of time into the flight, AP gets the leans to the left.
Lee, I don't think the new owner sent the KC140 unit back for the SB. They found the problem - a firmware update to the pitch servo completely eliminated this problem. The new owner's avionics shop seemed to be aware of this problem and the solution. Something to do with the revision number of the servo firmware...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
nathanda40
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nathan
Aircraft Registration: 98P
Airports: KSMO

Post by nathanda40 »

ScottF wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:03 pm Received my a/p back from Honeywell and happy to report all appears to be good. They did the mentioned s/b and checked the unit for me with no other repairs needed. I've flown approx 3 hours, put it through the paces and is working 100%.

Will add i see no visual difference in the cover. Also noted that before the repair I could hear the servo's through the audio, now i hear nothing. Honeywell claims this happens when the pins aren't seating properly.

I encourage all to explore the s/b as a possible cure to a/p issues in the 40. Total cost of the repair including overnight return shipping $300.
our 2002 DA40 is having an issue where it makes uncommanded turns to the left. it used to happen on essentially every single flight, perhaps 5-20 minutes into using the AP. i had the turn coordinator replaced and it flew 2x 2.5 hour legs on hdg mode without issue. then the other day, in some light turbulence, it began making uncomannded left turns again

i am sending the hsi for a bench test and reached out to honeywell/bendix/king regarding the SB 140-22-102. they assured me this has nothing to do with sudden turns, but i don't know if i am convinced given the response i see here from scott...