3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: HWV

Re: Low fuel pressure... again

Post by Hans »

Hey Guys,

is this a problem everyone is having or on certain models/ years ? Just brought a 2004 with 165tt and love it, but will be watching this one close. Since it fluctuates it really sounds like Diamonds explanation is right on, although I personally think it needs a remedy....is it an alarm or a "pop up" on the G 1000 screen?
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Hans,

Vapour may be a general issue, but I don't think that is what is causing my current issue, as one would expect some variation (at least some of the time) in the fuel flow, but this isn't happening.
Also there is no reason that a vapour issue would suddenly start occurring, when it has not happened at all in the past 4 years with the aircraft.
It is a red alarm pop-up on the G1000, bouncing from zero to normal and anywhere in between.

I'll let you all know when I have checked out the sensor and wiring.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Airports: HWV

Post by Hans »

Thanks, alot of pilots should be watching this one, even if the problem has not happened to them, yet.
Harry Range
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Harry
Aircraft Registration: C-FRTY
Airports: CYBW

Post by Harry Range »

Folks, I have not reported back on this topic in a while. If you go back to page 4 of this thread you will see I had a very similar issue with fuel pressure warnings. They increased in regularity until I finally replaced the sensor at my last annual. I am happy to report that I have had no warnings in 70 hours of flying since that time.
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Re: Low fuel pressure... schematics

Post by ThomasD »

Hi All,

I am about to delve into the low fuel pressure warnings I am getting, but it would help a lot to have the schematic diagrams of the electrical wiring.
I have a photocopy of a drawing no. D4-9231-60-06, sheet 4/8 but it is too small to read the text.
I am pretty sure that this drawing has on it the wiring for the GEA 71, fuel sensors and fuel pressure sensor - does anyone have an electronic copy? (In any format - I can deal with most.)

I am happy to interpret the drawing (I am an electronics engineers); the drawing would assist me to trace the wiring and work out how many connectors there are between the fuel pressure transducer and the GEA 71.

Thanks in advance
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

ThomasD wrote:Hi All,

I am about to delve into the low fuel pressure warnings I am getting, but it would help a lot to have the schematic diagrams of the electrical wiring.
I have a photocopy of a drawing no. D4-9231-60-06, sheet 4/8 but it is too small to read the text.
I am pretty sure that this drawing has on it the wiring for the GEA 71, fuel sensors and fuel pressure sensor - does anyone have an electronic copy? (In any format - I can deal with most.)

I am happy to interpret the drawing (I am an electronics engineers); the drawing would assist me to trace the wiring and work out how many connectors there are between the fuel pressure transducer and the GEA 71.

Thanks in advance
Thomas, check your PMs.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ThomasD wrote:Hi All,

Thanks in advance
I have a current maintenance manual with all kinds of wiring schematics but they all seem to be incomplete with respect to showing all connectors. They don't show them all.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ThomasD »

Thanks to all,

Had a good look at the wiring; could not see any problems (but really hard to see - wiring soon goes into a big fat bundle, so impossible to tell...
But
- definitely seems to be the fuel pressure sensor - absolutely no changes in fuel flow or engine problems
- disconnecting and re-connecting the bayonet connector made no difference.

Some points to note regarding the fuel pressure sensor:

1) the parts & maintenance manuals show the sensor connected via a 90degree elbow directly on the back of the fuel unit, but this is not the case [at least on my DA40 s/n 40.829]. Instead, the 90degree elbow is there, but there is then a brown fuel pipe coming out of this, maybe 9" long, horizontal, pointing to the left side of the engine. The fuel pressure sensor is then attached to this fuel pipe, and held by a P-clip to the bottom of the engine crankcase. (My guess is that the fuel pressure sensor was moved to this position as it was impossible to get to if there was a problem, without major dismanting of the engine.)

2) the parts & maintenance manuals also show that the connector is a two pin push in automotive style - this is also incorrect. It is a round 4-pin bayonet military style connector.

~~~~~~~

It did not look too hard to replace the sensor myself, but I have decided to let Diamond deal with it (I get the servicing done by Diamond UK who are excellent in my experience).
So I will update when the sensor has been replaced.
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ThomasD »

Well, not replaced the sensor - just been given the price of US $1,200 for the sensor alone !! (also has to be shipped from Diamond Canada to the UK)
Plus fitting cost - although I would guess probably not more than two hours work, so not so bad on this.

Does anyone have the correct part number & supplier for the fuel pressure transducer (for the G1000 version DA40 180-XL)?

The IPC just lists it as Part number "3010017" but Aircraft Spruce has nothing that matches this number.
Also, the IPC (p. 550) is incorrect as it shows a Tee fitting which is not there [as far as I can see - there is just a 90degree elbow out of the back of the fuel unit], and does not show an extra run of fuel pipe going to the fuel pressure sensor (which is there) so I have little confidence that the part number is the right one anyway in the IPC version I have (Doc # 6.03.01 Rev 3) - and the online IPC lists the same (and shows the same incorrect diagram with Tee fitting..

Thanks
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

switch the oil pressure and fuel pressure sensors and see if the problem follows. It is the same part number. For some reason this cured my issue.