5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Re: Synthetic Vision (SVT) upgrade for older G1000

Post by Gary »

Erik wrote:Hi Gary,

Have you considered one of the portable ADS-B solutions? I understand that the box that works with WingX on iPad or iPod works well.

I was really keen on ADS-B but I think I am in a rural coverage area where I wouldn't get it until above 5000ft which is the soonest I currently have voice to ATC as well.
The coverage is already pretty good in my part of the country. I expect to wait a year or two to see how this all plays out.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Gary wrote:
Erik wrote:Hi Gary,

Have you considered one of the portable ADS-B solutions? I understand that the box that works with WingX on iPad or iPod works well.

I was really keen on ADS-B but I think I am in a rural coverage area where I wouldn't get it until above 5000ft which is the soonest I currently have voice to ATC as well.
The coverage is already pretty good in my part of the country. I expect to wait a year or two to see how this all plays out.
I am pretty tepid myself about the concept of investing in hardware with the idea of access to ADS-B when so much seems in turmoil regarding the FAA. This week they have announced possible charging for charts data bases that were free on the internet until now. With user fees always around the corner, I think the ADS-B possibility is a big unknown too.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

carym wrote:Lance,
I would certainly be willing to join in for the SVT upgrade to my DA42 (at a cost that should be considerably less than the $10,000 they are asking).

Cary
The problem is that nobody actually ever asked the people from Diamond.

Different approach: share unblock cards
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

I’m fairly new here and not well versed in how Diamond runs things. Thought I had heard they have new ownership. Any chance they give us an affordable option to upgrade an older G1000 for SVT? I can get it on ForeFlight, but it would be nice to have it right there on the PFD.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Welcome Mike!

My suggestion would be to hold tight until DAI releases news in two stages regarding their legacy G1000 fleet. One will likely be in mid-April at the German Air Show and the second more major development will be made public around Oshkosh.

Regarding new ownership at Diamond, here's a press release by DAI from January of 2018:
https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/abou ... ointments/

And in speaking recently with Garmin's OEM manager to DAI, he indicated that newly appointed CEO Scott McFadzean is very much committed to improving customer service for existing owners and asked the DAN forum for our continued patience.

In the meantime, keep using your cost effective synthetic vision on your iPad on every flight and at a minimum scan this forum thread – so as to get a feel for the evolution of this project / legacy G1000 concerns. Then keep an eye out for any breaking news - it also helps to post a reply to any thread you're interested in following, so as to receive automatic email alerts for all new thread activity:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6643

Also, please consider adding your DA40 to the G1000 petition list by clicking on this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

If you have any further questions - either now or in the future, you should always feel free to send me a PM.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

My understanding is that SVT can still be added to any G1000 DA40, including those without WAAS.

The latest list price is $11,440, installed by any Garmin dealer (who may price it differently).

Installation is about a 15 minute job, since it involves using only a software unlock SDcard. An exception would be if an older DA40 wasn't running at least 9 arc-second terrain databases on its SDcards, in which case the card databases would need to be updated as part of a standard Garmin G1000 subscription (some early DA40s might need larger SDcards to hold the larger terrain database file).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

ScottSutton wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:25 am... it also helps to post a reply to any thread you're interested in following, so as to receive automatic email alerts for all new thread activity ...
Rather than posting something to a thread just to get update notifications, an easier way is to click on the wrench icon next to the "Post Reply" button a the top left of the thread you are viewing, and select "Subscribe Topic". You will then get an email any time someone posts an update to that thread. Of course, if you have something to say, by all means post a reply! :)
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
AVDB
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Anatolii
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: URIDD
Airports: IEV

Post by AVDB »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 pm My understanding is that SVT can still be added to any G1000 DA40, including those without WAAS.

The latest list price is $11,440, installed by any Garmin dealer (who may price it differently).

Installation is about a 15 minute job, since it involves using only a software unlock SDcard. An exception would be if an older DA40 wasn't running at least 9 arc-second terrain databases on its SDcards, in which case the card databases would need to be updated as part of a standard Garmin G1000 subscription (some early DA40s might need larger SDcards to hold the larger terrain database file).
$11,440 sounds impressive!
I paid $7,000 for Synthetic Unlock Card and $600 for two new SUPP DATA Cards with latest databases from Garmin Dealer in Ukraine.
I have been using it about half a year and I think it is worth this sum.
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Just doing a database update and had a brain fart. In my DA40 with 321.23 software, what is the correct Terrain database to use, 9 sec arc, 30 sec arc, or can you use the 4.9 sec arc? I'm also just using small SD cards, but If I can use the 9 sec or 4.9 sec, I'll get bigger cards.

Thank you,
Curt
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

All DA40s with SVT will need to use the 9 arc second version of the terrain databases. You'll need at least the "-43" SDCards since the earlier cards aren't big enough to hold the bigger terrain file. (You can always substitute off-the-shelf 8 Gbyte SDcards if you're not worried about them being TSO'ed Garmin cards.)

(30 arc second terrain isn't detailed enough for SVT. 4.9 arc second terrain works with newer GDU Version 15 legacy G1000 software that's available for DA42NG/-VI or DA62 aircraft, or for aircraft with NXi, but not Lycoming DA40s.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI