3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-GVFX
Airports: CYTZ, CNK4, KOLE, N56

Re: Synthetic Vision (SVT) upgrade for older G1000

Post by Nigel »

Cschobel wrote:I would prefer to spend $10,000 on the Garmin Active Traffic. But Alas, Diamond has not approved it. It would be a great safety addition
Now that Diamond North America has new Investor/Owners one can only hope that some development money can be shifted to ongoing improvements/STC's to the DA40.
Nigel McGrath
C-GVFX DA40-180 SN 40.585 (2005) SOLD in 2013, now based somewhere in California.
I'm STILL in a state of serious withdrawal.

Cell.416-560-0603
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Lance Murray wrote:Gary,

I just picked up a DA40XL. Although I do like the G-1000 with the Garmin autopilot I really do think that a steam gage airplane with all the upgrades is a better airplane. The only real downside to the steam gage plane is the engine monitor, and that could be changed.

Also I am not convinced that the newer XL is any faster than my 2002 without power flow or slicker wheel fairings. I just flew it across the country and never saw any speeds greater than 140kts at 8,000' My 2002 will do that just fine.
I will admit that the engine monitor is not optimal primarily due to the lousy monochrome display but it does the trick. I am very happy with my G500 set up.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Nope, no difference at all. If anything my 2002 runs smoother at LOP than the 2007. Try doing the GAMI lean test and see how your balance is. Maybe you just need to clean your injectors or send them out for balancing.
Tim wrote:
Lance Murray wrote:The engine monitor is sure a lot nicer but it leans the same. The VMS monitor is just very slow response so you have to spend 3 times the amount of time looking at it. The G-1000 makes it really easy to understand and easy to find the LAST cylinder to peak. The VMS only shows the FIRST cylinder to peak so you have to watch it closely.
So no difference in LOP performance from your '02 to your '07?

In my '04, hard to get more than 10-15° LOP before it starts to sound rough. I'd heard that the Powerflow engines ran smoother and leaner than non powerflow.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Nigel wrote: Now that Diamond North America has new Investor/Owners one can only hope that some development money can be shifted to ongoing improvements/STC's to the DA40.
I agree! It would be nice to have some development possibilities or see the DA50 finally move forward. Eventually I would like to have something a bit more capable (TKS would be nice) but I really don't like cirrus or the corvalis so options start getting limited.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Graham wrote:
Nigel wrote: Now that Diamond North America has new Investor/Owners one can only hope that some development money can be shifted to ongoing improvements/STC's to the DA40.
I agree! It would be nice to have some development possibilities or see the DA50 finally move forward. Eventually I would like to have something a bit more capable (TKS would be nice) but I really don't like cirrus or the corvalis so options start getting limited.
Graham, you could always "step up" to a DA42 which will give you FIKI and a little bit more speed (at altitude). And, I happen to know just where you could get a very nice FIKI DA42 that is just barely broken in :)

Cary
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

As a side note I just got the Aspen Avionics Synthetic Vision installed on my 2002 DA40. After one flight I would say that this isn't really a must-have. Hopefully I will grow to like it more but I sure am glad that this didn't cost me 10 Large like the Garmin would cost.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Graham »

Lance Murray wrote:After one flight I would say that this isn't really a must-have. Hopefully I will grow to like it more but I sure am glad that this didn't cost me 10 Large like the Garmin would cost.
Based on my experience and it might have been mentioned earlier, active traffic is a better option than SVT and I find I use that several times a flight. Amazing how many aircraft are around you that you never knew were there.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Graham »

carym wrote:Graham, you could always "step up" to a DA42 which will give you FIKI and a little bit more speed (at altitude). And, I happen to know just where you could get a very nice FIKI DA42 that is just barely broken in :)
Thanks for the offer Cary but I had to rule that one out for several reasons :(
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Graham wrote:
Lance Murray wrote:After one flight I would say that this isn't really a must-have. Hopefully I will grow to like it more but I sure am glad that this didn't cost me 10 Large like the Garmin would cost.
Based on my experience and it might have been mentioned earlier, active traffic is a better option than SVT and I find I use that several times a flight. Amazing how many aircraft are around you that you never knew were there.
I like having SVT. It makes flying approaches, especially at an unfamiliar airport or near hilly terrain a lot less stressful. It is much easier to hand fly approaches by placing the green ring on the end of the runway. Hopefully, I will be able to get ADS-B in a few years for traffic.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Hi Gary,

Have you considered one of the portable ADS-B solutions? I understand that the box that works with WingX on iPad or iPod works well.

I was really keen on ADS-B but I think I am in a rural coverage area where I wouldn't get it until above 5000ft which is the soonest I currently have voice to ATC as well.