2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N605US
Airports: KPAE

Hairline crack at wing root

Post by neongoby »

Just noticed a hairline crack on the upper surface of the left wing at the trailing edge of wing root. I estimate to be about 10inches long.

My mechanic looked at it and said that it is not through the thickness (yet), and that that's what I can expect from composite airframe. He didn't think it is a airworthiness issue. I tend to agree with him, but would also like a second opinion.

I suspect it may be due to stepping too close to the trailing edge.

Secondly, is there a procedure to stop the crack from continuing to propagate?
Attachments
Hairline crack at trailing edge of left wing root.  It appears to initiate from the trailing edge and propagating inward.
Hairline crack at trailing edge of left wing root. It appears to initiate from the trailing edge and propagating inward.
IMAG0242.jpg (137.48 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Re: Hairline crack at wing root

Post by BlackMammoth »

neongoby wrote:My mechanic looked at it and said that it is not through the thickness (yet), and that that's what I can expect from composite airframe.
Through what thickness? Is this in the paint, in the outer surface of the laminate? I believe that all DA40s are painted with LPU paint and NOT with Gel Coat (which sometimes suffers surface cracks).

We don't have any cracks in our DA40 and I disagree with your mechanic's opinion on "this is what you can expect".
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I've had one like this in the same place for years, though it is shorter. It hasn't grown any larger. It's just in the paint. Like you, I suspect some not-particularly-svelt individual mounting/dismounting the wing by stepping on the trailing edge causing the structure to flex and the paint cracked. I know this improper operation has occurred when the telltale black streak appears on said trailing edge. There is no such crack on the right-side wing.

A similar thing happened when my seriously overweight son dismounted heavily onto the passenger step. The composite flexed and the paint cracked all around it. In this case, Diamond repaired it and thickened up the structure in the area.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I have a similar crack. It is a non-structural area and the crack is likely only in the body filler used to fare in the area to the fuselage. No big deal, it is just a cosmetic area.

The only problem I see here is that might be challenging to get a good blend in the paint when you fix it. It might not be too noticeable since the area often has a shadow in that area.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I am not sure what LPU means but the airplane is not "gel coated" and it is standard aircraft paint. There is an anti-static paint coating above the filler and below the primer.
BlackMammoth wrote:
neongoby wrote:My mechanic looked at it and said that it is not through the thickness (yet), and that that's what I can expect from composite airframe.
Through what thickness? Is this in the paint, in the outer surface of the laminate? I believe that all DA40s are painted with LPU paint and NOT with Gel Coat (which sometimes suffers surface cracks).

We don't have any cracks in our DA40 and I disagree with your mechanic's opinion on "this is what you can expect".
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

My aircraft has one of these (pilot side only). It has been there for 9 years with no change. It is in the paint coat only (you can actually inspect the underside of the faired wing root). When it initially appeared I sent some pictures to the factory and they said it was not a problem. Apparently, they were correct...

Steve
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

I have the same thing, about 4-6 inches long at the trailing edge on the pilot's side. Diamond Service Center mechanic had a look at it and deemed it superficial and inconsequential.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I have it on the passenger side of my wing root. Sent pictures to the factory and they thought it was just in the paint and not significant. It is being looked at more carefully now as it is in annual.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Post by Tim »

I had a crack found in my 2000 hour inspection that had to be ground out, new composite applied and painted. It was in the wing root also.
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410