Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: High CHTs

Post by Lance Murray »

For those of you that haven't read these articles take a good read of these.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182179-1.html
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Looks like p/n D41-7166-11-00_2 is $522.85 from my mechanic.

Don't know about the labor for install yet...
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Phil - When the new part initially came out (2003), Diamond provided the improved part at no cost. All you had to do was return the original part. If by some oversight, your airplane wasn't modified (say, it lived in Maine and never felt summer heat), I would expect Diamond to honor the same deal. Labor is another issue, but it took only an hour to do the job for me.

Steve
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I don't know about that. When I called them they had no memory of the Arizona Baffle or any change.
Steve wrote:Phil - When the new part initially came out (2003), Diamond provided the improved part at no cost. All you had to do was return the original part. If by some oversight, your airplane wasn't modified (say, it lived in Maine and never felt summer heat), I would expect Diamond to honor the same deal. Labor is another issue, but it took only an hour to do the job for me.

Steve
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

That sounds high. I think I paid significantly less than that. Like 2 or 3 hundred.
BlackMammoth wrote:Looks like p/n D41-7166-11-00_2 is $522.85 from my mechanic.

Don't know about the labor for install yet...
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Lance Murray wrote:I don't know about that. When I called them they had no memory of the Arizona Baffle or any change.
Steve wrote:Phil - When the new part initially came out (2003), Diamond provided the improved part at no cost. All you had to do was return the original part. If by some oversight, your airplane wasn't modified (say, it lived in Maine and never felt summer heat), I would expect Diamond to honor the same deal. Labor is another issue, but it took only an hour to do the job for me.

Steve
Well, Lance, I'm looking at the emails and part return credit form right now and my statement is accurate. The two Diamond personnel involved were Bill Scott and Kent Billingham and this occurred in September of 2003. It was handled as a warranty repair, even though the aircraft was out of warranty. Perhaps they no longer worked for Diamond when you enquired.

At any rate, this was a major issue for the early Diamonds (pre-mid-2003), and a topic for discussion on the precursor to the other forum. As I mentioned earlier, there is an engineering change: D41-7166-11-00/2a which folks can reference. I don't know if Customer Service will honor the 2003 arrangement, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if, for some reason, the mod was not performed. The worst they can say is - No.

Steve
Last edited by Steve on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Lance Murray wrote:I don't know about that. When I called them they had no memory of the Arizona Baffle or any change.

Steve
This is absolutely true. Seems as if "institutional memory" at Diamond has failed. But it was a long time ago. When we ferried our plane back from the factory in May 2002, we learned that we had to run what we considered high fuel flow settings at cruise to keep #1 cylinder head temperature under control and a pretty wide range between the hottest and coolest CHTs. We informed the factory and and nagged them from time to time (I used to converse rather regularly with Peter Maurer). In 2003, they released (at no parts charge) the "Arizona baffle" and it was installed in our plane in April of that year. According to my aircraft logbook, the mod kit was P/N 400950. It had two effects. It not only greatly improved the CHT situation in the #1 cylinder, it brought all 4 cylinder temperatures down and resulted in much less variation among them. It remains so to this day.

Contrary to the above post, this is a right-side baffle modification, not left. I remembered it as being such and the logbook entries confirm it.

BTW, our plane has never been to Arizona. In fact it's never been further South than perhaps the 39th parallel. All DA40's that have the old baffle system need this mod, which became the standard somewhere along the way. It may be that the kit to do the modification is no longer be an easily assembled item. I believe it was more than just the inlet piece.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

When I installed the baffle, it was a simple remove and replace the existing baffle, cut the cowl opening to fit with a sanding drum on a Dremel tool. Put a new rubber seal on the baffle. Put the cowl back on and have my mechanic that was supervising make a minor alteration entry into the logbook. I would say that this is realistically a one hour upgrade. Your mechanic may charge two including the research and paperwork.

I wouldn't say that it made a huge difference but there was a difference.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Wow, this place is a fantastic source of information. Thanks to all who posted in the thread, I'll follow up on the baffle thing and pirep.

Charles
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Steve wrote: At any rate, this was a major issue for the early Diamonds (pre-mid-2003), and a topic for discussion on the precursor to the other forum. As I mentioned earlier, there is an engineering change: D41-7166-11-00/2a which folks can reference. I don't know if Customer Service will honor the 2003 arrangement, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if, for some reason, the mod was not performed. The worst they can say is - No.

Steve
"No" is what they said, claiming that it's not a defect because the old baffle is a certified configuration, and that my plane is way past warranty anyway (I have a 2003). It wouldn't be so frustrating if others hadn't gotten the part for free and if it didn't cost the $523 I was quoted for it...

Got a nice drawing out of those discussions though: