4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Re: High CHTs

Post by Tim »

Lance Murray wrote:... FYI my engine has almost 2100 hrs on it and compressions are 78 or better on all cylinders. The cylinders are all original with no issues since new. I was told by Bart Lalond of Aerosport Power that the cylinders start going bad at around 430 if you operate there for sustained periods. Lycoming's limit is 500 with a caveat to run below 400 for extended service life. Lycoming also has no objection to run at peak EGT in cruise below 65% power.
Lance, my engine is also around 2000 TT and running great (touch wood).

What parameters are you using to decide when to overhaul? The oil analysis on 5JP is consistently clean and gives good compressions, similar to yours. Is there anything else that you look for?

PS. I've been flying at or below 380 CHT and will likely relax that slightly to 390-395 after your comments above. Peak EGT below 65% power is interesting as much of my cruise is at altitudes at or above 8000'
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Lance, that's great info, thanks. I'll compare the size of the opening to that of a newer DA40 that's parked right next to mine.

I haven't been successful at lowering the temps by changing the RPM.

Charles
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Charles wrote:I haven't been successful at lowering the temps by changing the RPM.
I noticed a similar thing on mine. RPM had very little effect on temp where as the MP setting had more. I testing out the TAS vs power setting on the weekend and noticed at 22.3/2400 (65% for my Density Alt) my temps were around 340-350. I have also noticed a higher alt helps a lot with keeping the engine cooler (probably due to lower temps and power output).
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

While working on my machine (for the SuperCharger) FAT uncovered several significant leaks in the baffles. The biggest ones were at the top rubber that seals to the upper cowl. Take a look to see if it is wavy. If so look at the under side of your upper cowl to see the contact points. It's likely there are touches with gaps, it will be noticeable. The solution is to fill in the low spots of the wave with RTV so that you can lay a ruler along the top and have one smooth line across the top.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Lance Murray wrote: I just noticed that you have a 2003. Check the size of your intake scoop at cylinder 2. There is an updated part number for the baffle at cylinder 2
I would be very interested in this part # info if someone has it.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

BlackMammoth wrote:
Lance Murray wrote: I just noticed that you have a 2003. Check the size of your intake scoop at cylinder 2. There is an updated part number for the baffle at cylinder 2
I would be very interested in this part # info if someone has it.
I have it at home, will post tonight...

Steve
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The part number for the "Arizona" baffle is: D41-7166-11-00/2. The Engineering reference is: Drawing number D41-7166-11-00/2a.

Steve
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Thanks for the part # and the reference info. I don't live in Arizona, but might as well from a climate perspective.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

This would be a good post to make sticky. When I dealt with Diamond customer support they didn't know anything about this. I just took a chance and ordered the new part. I am not sure when this part became standard but I suspect it was after 2003.
Steve wrote:The part number for the "Arizona" baffle is: D41-7166-11-00/2. The Engineering reference is: Drawing number D41-7166-11-00/2a.

Steve
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I am doing 25 hour/4month oil changes. I do compression checks every 25 hours, I do oil analysis every 50 hours. I do oil filter analysis myself every oil change. I was also thinking about purchasing a borescope to look inside the cylinders per the TCM service bulletin.

Here is the dilemma that I have though:

My engine is running great and I am guessing I can run it for another 1,000 hours. I see no reason at all and evidence doesn't support euthanizing a perfectly good engine however I am not so sure about the accessories. I replaced the brushes on my alternator. I just replaced both magnetos with new mags. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump a couple of hundred hours ago. My prop governor for some reason has always limited my rpm to 2600 rpm despite it being set to maximum rpm. So I may just replace it. My fuel servo works perfectly also but should I replace this just to be sure? A factory remanufactured engine comes with all new accessories. When I look at the price of replacing all of my accessories and maybe a cylinder or two in the next 1000 hours or 10 years how much money am I actually saving? I surely am saving a significant amount of money but I am not sure just how much. At this point I am just going to keep running the engine until something tells me to change it (oil leaks, crack in the case, sloppy gear train, metal in the oil etc.)

I think an overhauled fuel servo is about $3,000. Not sure about the prop governor. Fuel and oil hoses shouldn't be all that expensive.
Tim wrote:
Lance Murray wrote:... FYI my engine has almost 2100 hrs on it and compressions are 78 or better on all cylinders. The cylinders are all original with no issues since new. I was told by Bart Lalond of Aerosport Power that the cylinders start going bad at around 430 if you operate there for sustained periods. Lycoming's limit is 500 with a caveat to run below 400 for extended service life. Lycoming also has no objection to run at peak EGT in cruise below 65% power.
Lance, my engine is also around 2000 TT and running great (touch wood).

What parameters are you using to decide when to overhaul? The oil analysis on 5JP is consistently clean and gives good compressions, similar to yours. Is there anything else that you look for?

PS. I've been flying at or below 380 CHT and will likely relax that slightly to 390-395 after your comments above. Peak EGT below 65% power is interesting as much of my cruise is at altitudes at or above 8000'