4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

G1000 Engine "Tach" Time Reset

Post by Tim H »

I am currently running ver .22. However, when the G1000 was previously updated to ver .19, the engine time was reset to zero (inadvertantly or not, I do not know as I did not own the airplane at that time). There is a logbook entry that states that the software was updated to ver .19 at xxx hrs. So now, I have to add xxx hrs to the current time shown on the G1000.

I called Garmin and they said the G1000 "tach time" time cannot be changed. My Garmin dealer called (when I upgraded to ver .22) and was told the same thing.

If what Garmin is telling me is correct, it seems to me that every G1000 DA40 that was upgraded to ver .19 would have this issue?

Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,

Tim
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: G1000 Engine "Tach" Time Reset

Post by Rick »

I know our '04' DA40 was upgraded from .08 to .12 to .19 to .22 without any changes to the G1000 "Total Time in Service" (tach time) value. I'm guessing somebody screwed up the s/w upgrade... Seems like Garmin could write a tool to "fix" the value if they wanted to, but I've never seen any such tool.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Rick wrote:I know our '04' DA40 was upgraded from .08 to .12 to .19 to .22 without any changes to the G1000 "Total Time in Service" (tach time) value. I'm guessing somebody screwed up the s/w upgrade... Seems like Garmin could write a tool to "fix" the value if they wanted to, but I've never seen any such tool.
Ditto.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Nigel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: C-GVFX
Airports: CYTZ, CNK4, KOLE, N56

Post by Nigel »

Tim H wrote: If what Garmin is telling me is correct, it seems to me that every G1000 DA40 that was upgraded to ver .19 would have this issue?

Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks, Tim
Tim, the exact same thing happened to me. But in my case it involved a swap of the MFD/PFD. Diamond and Garmin can fix it although it is an arduous process. Your fuel sender will have to be re-calibrated too. Send me a PM and I will send you the entire e-mail thread including the contact names at Diamond. Jeff Owen was very helpful in getting me the correct info to start the ball rolling.

Nigel.
Nigel McGrath
C-GVFX DA40-180 SN 40.585 (2005) SOLD in 2013, now based somewhere in California.
I'm STILL in a state of serious withdrawal.

Cell.416-560-0603
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Has anyone else who experienced this been able to get it fixed? We ran into this after replacing the MFD in 2019. I reached out to Nigel but it seems he's no longer active on the forum. I'm going to SouthTec next week but Glenn isn't too sure whether or not he can do anything about it. I'd love to provide him with pointers if possible.
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

The tach shouldn’t have reset, there was apparently a glitch during the update. More annoyingly, I once replaced a display because the old one burned up and when the new display went it suddenly the tach jumped by thousands of hours, so we had to estimate the total time and subtract an arbitrary number from then on.

There is a software card that tries to recover a lost tach time from the display/config module. IIRC it’s a five minute process. I don’t think it’s guaranteed to work though, I guess it depends on exactly how it was “lost”
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Wow, that does sound frustrating. Tach time resets on the VM-1000 are a piece of cake, taking 2 minutes max.