5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Starter problem - AOG

Post by Chris B »

Gary wrote:I have decided to replace my 12 year 1,400 hour old starter to avoid getting stranded. What are the options and the advantages of the different available starters? Cost is not an issue.
Hi Gary -

There is an excellent article on starters in the latest Aviation Consumer magazine.

Apparently the vast majority of issues are due to exceeding the duty-cycle limits. This is very easy to do when hot-starting fuel-injected aircraft engines.

Without quoting the entire article, here are two key snips:
1: Aviation Consumer wrote:For all Sky-Tec starters, the rest time after a 10-second start attempt is 20 seconds. The start/rest cycle can be repeated a maximum of six times.
And then you wait at least 30 minutes to let the starter cool, or risk buying a new starter. :cry:
2: Aviation Consumer wrote:Sky-Tec recommends, not requires, rebuild at 2700 hours - according to GM Rich Chaffee, they should go longer.
With permanent magnets, there are no brushes to wear out.

Sky-Tec GM Rich Chaffee is also quoted as wanting to get calls from customers!: 817-573-2250. I'd suggest giving Rich a call and asking for recommendations. Sky-Tec makes heavier models that presumably are more tolerant of abuse. But if you have 1400 hrs on yours, then you probably are very good at hot starts and should offer tips! :thumbsup:

Chris
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I believe that the 149-24LS is the stock starter Gary. You can see Sky-Tec's replacement chart here. http://www.skytecair.com/fit_guide.pdf

For what its worth, I elected to replace my fried starter with the same model. It was easier at the time and I was in a jamb. If I had it to do over, I would try to find a heavier duty starter that does not have the cranking restrictions of the 149-24LS. In part, this is because I have the aft CG problem and I can use the extra pound or two but, also, I do not like how sensitive this starter is to overheating. I'm usually the only one who starts my aircraft and, so far, the longest start I have had since replacing the 149-24LS is about four seconds. We'll see if this replacement ends up lasting longer than the original. Too soon to tell.

If you fly to remote areas where there are no services, I would recommend looking for a more rugged starter (and always flying with a great battery). I believe that there are others (models and brands) approved for the IO-360. Some of the other DAN members are better disposed to say how that plays out with the DA40 approval.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

rwtucker wrote:I believe that the 149-24LS is the stock starter Gary. You can see Sky-Tec's replacement chart here. http://www.skytecair.com/fit_guide.pdf

For what its worth, I elected to replace my fried starter with the same model. It was easier at the time and I was in a jamb. If I had it to do over, I would try to find a heavier duty starter that does not have the cranking restrictions of the 149-24LS. In part, this is because I have the aft CG problem and I can use the extra pound or two but, also, I do not like how sensitive this starter is to overheating. I'm usually the only one who starts my aircraft and, so far, the longest start I have had since replacing the 149-24LS is about four seconds. We'll see if this replacement ends up lasting longer than the original. Too soon to tell.

If you fly to remote areas where there are no services, I would recommend looking for a more rugged starter (and always flying with a great battery). I believe that there are others (models and brands) approved for the IO-360. Some of the other DAN members are better disposed to say how that plays out with the DA40 approval.
What is the standard model? The problem is that I don't know how to determine what other starters are approved.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

For my aircraft, 149-24LS is the standard model. This is Sky-Tecs PMA listing for the LS model starters.

http://skytecair.com/images/PMA/PMASupplement1.pdf

If you want go go that way, I would recommend contacting Sky-Tec and discussing you situation. Send your Sky-Tec serial number with your email (it is a little hard to get at but you can read it with an extension mirror if you have one in your toolbox or can borrow one). It might be in your Diamond documentation; not sure about that. My initial contact was Rich Chiappe <richc@skytecair.com>. He was very helpful.

If you are interested in a heavier duty starter, you might ask Sky-Tec and get some equivalency numbers. You could also call Aircraft Spruce and get some expert advice.

Again, I'm thinking about the engine and electrical circuit. I'm not sure how Diamond fits into the picture with respect to substitutes. One of the other DAN members probably has the answer to this question.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

rwtucker wrote:For my aircraft, 149-24LS is the standard model. This is Sky-Tecs PMA listing for the LS model starters.

http://skytecair.com/images/PMA/PMASupplement1.pdf

If you want go go that way, I would recommend contacting Sky-Tec and discussing you situation. Send your Sky-Tec serial number with your email (it is a little hard to get at but you can read it with an extension mirror if you have one in your toolbox or can borrow one). It might be in your Diamond documentation; not sure about that. My initial contact was Rich Chiappe <richc@skytecair.com>. He was very helpful.

If you are interested in a heavier duty starter, you might ask Sky-Tec and get some equivalency numbers. You could also call Aircraft Spruce and get some expert advice.

Again, I'm thinking about the engine and electrical circuit. I'm not sure how Diamond fits into the picture with respect to substitutes. One of the other DAN members probably has the answer to this question.
What I really meant to ask is what model starter is original equipment for the DA40? I called that number for Sky-Tec and all they did was to tell me that 149-24LS is the only approved model for our airplane. It would be helpful if I which starters from all manufacturers were approved so I could compare all my options.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

Gary,

My original starter was a 149-24LS. Sky-Tec disassembled, inspected, rebuilt, and returned it to me in a couple of days. That is why I know the insides were, in their words, "charred and melted."

One thought is that if your IO-360 always starts in +/- 5 seconds and you don't have or don't care about aft CG issues, have them rebuild your starter (I'm assuming that is the problem). If you want to poke around a little, you could call the representatives of the other major starter manufacturers (I think only three are relevant) and see if they have approved models or if they have a path to approval. They would have the greatest incentive to find a suitable and legal alternative.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... terlyc.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ter-hz.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... xDrive.php

I did a little looking around for you and noticed that Hartzell's (X-Drive) SRB-9021 is a direct equivalent for the Sky-Tec 149-24LS. This said, it is even lighter than Sky-Tec. It may or may not be more durable but they do list it for the DA40. Interestingly, they show the DA40 OEM starter as an MHB-4018, and also list their ERB-8011 as an approved heavier duty starter. (See: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... TER_08.pdf). Seems worth a phone call to explore the differences with them.

If you find a more rugged alternative, I know some of us aft CG owners will follow in your path. A pound or two that far forward is a measurable difference.