2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N505WT
Airports: KLHM

Re: Ground handling help needed

Post by Bob B »

Hi Everyone,
I've been using a Bogert and manually pushing my DA-40 back through the 42 foot hangar door. Recent lower lumbar problems (double lumbar stenosis) now prevent me from using this old school method, so I'm looking for an electric power tug that works well with a DA-40. Has anyone had good luck with the commercially sold tugs?
Your thoughts appreciated.

Bob Butera
KLHM
N505WT
Tal
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tal
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KFDK

Post by Tal »

Bob,
I can't be more enthusiastic about the electric winch method mentioned previously in this thread.
It works without strain on the plane or on your back! Wireless control a bonus.
Tal
Bob B
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bob B »

Thanks for the reply Tal. From where on the airplane is it pulled (point of connection) I would be concerned about stress if pulled from tail tie down point. Pushing fron the front gear has worked up until the back gave out.
Thanks again,
Bob
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Bob, I was worried about the strain on the tail tie-down point, too, so before I bought a winch I actually ran an experiment, pulling the plane backward with a spring scale and a rope attached to the tail. I found it took about 35 lbs of force to begin moving the plane, and then 10-15 to keep it rolling. Then I thought about how much force must be placed on that point when the plane is actually tied down during a moderate storm with the tail generating lift, or the vertical stab and rudder being pushed sideways, and I decided to stop worrying about it and just install the winch!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

FWIW, I've never pulled mine with the tail "strake" piece but did have it tied down outside for about 5 years. At one annual the shop found it was not damaged but had become loose. So it's worth checking on preflight, at least occasionally.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Bob B
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bob B »

Rick,
Sounds like you did a good test as to the force needed to initiate and continue roll. I wonder if Diamond has any test data as to maximum force the tail strake can handle. If it was designed to handle the potential weather forces during tie down, it should handle a controlled pulling force.
Thanks Rick for the info. This may be the solution I'm looking for.
Bob B
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bob B »

Hi Rich,
The jerking motion or force during tie down in wind can be pretty severe, and over several years, I would imagine could take a toll on the strake attachment. I'm wondering if a controlled force would have the same effect. My guess is problem not, but would like to see what it was designed to handle.
Thanks Rich.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

My DA40's have always sat out on a tie-down until this year when I finally made it to the top of the hangar list. My DA40 survived a tornado in Ohio in 2010, and the Derecho in 2012 here in Roanoke, both sitting on tie-downs. It gets pretty windy here frequently at the Roanoke airport, and so far, no issues with the tail strake coming loose. I can't imagine the winch puts anywhere near the stress on it that it received sitting on the tie-down. We always give it a good check at each annual, though, so we'll see how it fairs this year...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

If you are concerned about strain on the skeg, insert a cosmetic (i.e. weak!) carabiner in line with the winch cable as a mechanical "fuse." Also ensure tension is only in-line with the aircraft centerline. The skeg is much weaker if pulled from the side.

FWIW, I previously used a winch when my hangar had a noticeable lip, but my current hangar entry is essentially flat. So instead I temporarily place 20 lbs of ankle weights on the boom just forward of the vertical stabilizer. This makes it easy to balance the aircraft on the main gear while pulling on the vertical stabilizer, so I no longer need the winch.

Chris
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Bob,
I use an electric TugMaxxe for the D40 since 8 years. It's an easy and rugged German design. it's available in the US now from TNA.
http://www.tna-aviation.com/light-aircr ... del-lineup
Let me know if you need more informations.
See it in action at my DA in Switzerland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx13DALRCs4&sns=em
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland