5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Boost Pump

Post by Antoine »

Darn! today my pump wouldn't go on during engine start. I started the engine without it ( pieçe of cake !!!) and after a couple of minutes it finally came alive. Looks like the end is near :(

Mine has 450 hours. somebody mentionned 2 weeks turnaround for a rebuild at Dukes? can you post the address please? thanks
rhoab
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N285DS
Airports: KJYO, KAOO

Post by rhoab »

Too bad. My AP tells me the revision "c" is not available until after the new year as I have my backup on order. So... if you order now you'll have to go with a B version.
Eric N
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Registration: N192DS
Airports: KGON

Post by Eric N »

Antoine, was your engine warm when you started without the boost pump? I'd love to know if you have a trick for starting from cold without the pump. Frankly, I consider failure of the electric pump a "safety of flight" issue and would not elect to fly without it.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Eric N wrote:Antoine, was your engine warm when you started without the boost pump? I'd love to know if you have a trick for starting from cold without the pump. Frankly, I consider failure of the electric pump a "safety of flight" issue and would not elect to fly without it.
Eric, the engine was very cold, and the pump did not draw any current. I started the engine by cranking it and going immediately to full rich while throttle was about half inch open. It started right away.
My intention was to just taxi around and warm up the engine, load the battery etc... but after a while I made a second try and the pump worked. I did not have time to fly to my maintenance shop and land-travel back, but that's my intention at the next opportunity.

Brian: too bad revision C is not yet available and thanks for the info.

Can someone explain how to order a refurbish without going through Diamond?

Thanks
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Dukes quoted us over a month turn around for a rebuild :(

We ended up ordering a Rev B pump from Diamond (just North of $1k).
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

BlackMammoth wrote:Dukes quoted us over a month turn around for a rebuild :(

We ended up ordering a Rev B pump from Diamond (just North of $1k).
Ouch!! :shock:
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

That is not good news. I have just spent over $ 12'000 (!) on the 400/hour / annual / IFR recert and now the pump, this is really gettting way out of the planned maintenance budget...

If it flies, floats or ... RENT IT!
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Hi Antoine. Did you do the maintenance in GRE with Pius and Renè? Sounds high for the 400h annual etc.
About the pump, checked the maint manual, there is in fact no relay between the switch and the pump, it was either the CB or Switch with a bad contact ....or then yes the pump itself.
Considering the cold, it could have been a factor.

By the way, you know we are used to cold WX ops. My Tip.. Do not just taxi and ground run in winter. Go flying at least with normal warm/high OIL temp. Only then the moisture and the ugly stuff in the oil will be burnt. To do only a short warm up... It's worse than nothing... The cooling afterwards will accumulate again condens water and unburnt fuel acids in the oil.
The battery I will charge from time to time with a charger.

Regards Thomas.
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Antoine wrote:That is not good news. I have just spent over $ 12'000 (!) on the 400/hour / annual / IFR recert and now the pump, this is really gettting way out of the planned maintenance budget...

If it flies, floats or ... RENT IT!
That's pretty much!
We paid 2080 € (Included 21% VAT) for the last annual. We still need to have the transponder and altimeter check done though. The RH Strobe is worn and will probably need replacing. Cracks on rear door hinges again (replaced in 2010) but only on the gel coat so far. RH Pilot seat to fix (broken back rest shell).

We are still on our first fuel pump (770 TACH). I am thinking to buy a spare one.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Thomas wrote:Hi Antoine. Did you do the maintenance in GRE with Pius and Renè? Sounds high for the 400h annual etc.
About the pump, checked the maint manual, there is in fact no relay between the switch and the pump, it was either the CB or Switch with a bad contact ....or then yes the pump itself.
Considering the cold, it could have been a factor.

By the way, you know we are used to cold WX ops. My Tip.. Do not just taxi and ground run in winter. Go flying at least with normal warm/high OIL temp. Only then the moisture and the ugly stuff in the oil will be burnt. To do only a short warm up... It's worse than nothing... The cooling afterwards will accumulate again condens water and unburnt fuel acids in the oil.
The battery I will charge from time to time with a charger.

Regards Thomas.

Hi Thomas thank you for taking the time to investigate. Yes, the maintenance shop is Pius/Rene. I am quite upset as you can imagine and we still have to discuss this bill.
Regarding the pump, i did cycle the CB, but I believe the pump itself is showing signs of wear.
I tried again today it worked normally, so I hope to keep it running until Rev C is available.
As to avoiding doing warmups only, I agree, but I had no other option that day: the battery was almost empty, and I do not have access to ground power. I was planning on spending a lot of time on the ground, until oil warms up, to minimize the nasty effects you mentionned,