3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KMMK

Re: Boost Pump

Post by Fred »

My IA called Dukes and they now have a revision "c" to the 5100-00-9 pump that as discussed here is imporved over the "B" revision to address excessive wear. I'm trying to this swapped out under warrenty since this is my 4th in 795 tach hours.

Has anyone filed a 337 and installed a Weldon pump? My IA would like to try the high quality Weldon Pump and said if anyone else has done this a copy of your 337 form would help us move quicker.

Anyone with experience with the "C" revision of the Dukes pump, or using the Weldon pump let me know.

thank you, Fred
Fred F.
Home Airport: KMMK
ASEL IFR
DA40 XLS, Various other Pistons
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

We have also replaced two boost pumps. The first one was replaced under warranty at about 320 Tach hours and the second one broke at 440 Tach hours less than 10 months after the first. The second one was replaced with a rebuilt unit "B" model. The part cost was $1074.00. New versions were quoted at $1600.00 from Diamond. So far all is working as advertised. We only use the pump for TO and landings like Fred.
Eric N
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Registration: N192DS
Airports: KGON

Post by Eric N »

I'm now on our 4th boost pump; the first one failed on what I recall was the second fam. flight while still at the factory. The most recent unit was put in 02/08, just over 300 (system) hrs ago. The log entry does not specify which revision was installed, but the unit was a rebuilt one obtained directly from Diamond. This is the longest any of these things has lasted and I'm cautiously hopeful. Like most everyone else, we have restricted use of the pump to starting from cold, landing & takeoff.
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

Our boost pump died on Sunday 900ish hours tach time. Sounds like it is no longer connected to the impeller, or the impeller is lacking in blades (very high speed motor whirr, no fuel flow). Awaiting replacement from Diamond (shipped from Canada) since Dukes quoted a 15 day turn around for a rebuild.
rhoab
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: N285DS
Airports: KJYO, KAOO

Post by rhoab »

1835hrs and my 2003 is on the second pump. 500 hours on the second and considering a backup to carry with me. Somehow I feel like my pump will fail just because I'm thinking about buying an insurance unit.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

looking at the logs of a da40-XL from 2007 it has had 4 pumps installed inside of 1300 hours.
Bob C
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N633DS
Airports: KFLD

Post by Bob C »

I just had to replace my boost pump at 350 tach hours. $1200 for a rebuilt pump. Like most others, I only use it for take-offs and landings.
Bob C.
2006 DA40
KFLD Wisconsin
Kurt h
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Post by Kurt h »

Rebuilt pump installed at 450 hrs, now at 1150 with no problems. Only use for 5 sec prime before start, takeoff (when taking the runway and up to 500'), and landing unless its a calm day on a 10,000 ft runway.
Kurt
2004 DA40.391
hookem80
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trey
Aircraft Registration: N22QQ
Airports: KFTW, KGDJ

Post by hookem80 »

At the risk of jinxing my boost pump, we have 720hrs on the original pump and it is still running fine... I only use it on takeoff, never to switch tanks or on landing. In the event of a go around it is one of my mental checklist items. I have never seen the slightest problem with switching tanks without the boost pump running...

My IA says he has not seen any problem with these pumps (Diamond Service center in Denton TX). His only advice is never run them dry (i.e. don't empty a tank with the boost pump running). I doubt any of you guys do that as a matter of practice

Regards

Trey
N22QQ
KFTW Ft Worth, TX
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Just to add some more data points...
My first DA40, an '04, is nearing 2000 hours, still on the original pump, I believe (right, Tim?).

The DA40 I've been flying now, an '05 with just over 400 hours, is in for its annual as I write this. The pump failed after the last flight, keeping the mechanic from starting it to move it to the hangar for the annual! The mechanic said the brushes were shot in the pump motor.

I only ever use the pump before starting the engine. But I am mentally primed to hit that switch at the first sign of any engine trouble! I have only seen minor variations in fuel pressure at altitude (usually 8,000-11,000 for me) and never any alarms.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)