2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-GSPB
Airports: CNU4

Re: Boost Pump

Post by David B »

Sorry...can you help me with what WOT is? In terms of fuel flow my though is that rpm on a constant speed does not matter but manifold pressure or power setting would? That being said, a high power setting would require a higher fuel flow and thus compared to how I use my plane it may explain why Charles is experiencing this issue? Although, at 10K altitude itself naturally limits the fuel flow.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Sorry, I picket WOT up from Antonie. Wide open throttle. At the altitudes I typically fly, that is usually from 19-21 inches.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

New member and owner here... purchased a wonderful '08 and hoping to finish up my instrument rating in the next few months. Anyhow, are there any typical warning signs that the pump may be on its way out? I typically switch it off at about 500ft agl then on final.
David B
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: C-GSPB
Airports: CNU4

Post by David B »

Welcome to the forum Andrew!!

Although this thead is 15 pages long the short answer to your question is that the most common sign of iminent failure begins with radio static...a sort of whining sound...in your headset while the pump is on. If the pump is off the sound goes away. From my recollection of this thread...which is a few years old...is that this is the primary complaint prior to failure.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Excellent, thanks for your help David.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

No, they will just quit working.
AndrewM wrote:New member and owner here... purchased a wonderful '08 and hoping to finish up my instrument rating in the next few months. Anyhow, are there any typical warning signs that the pump may be on its way out? I typically switch it off at about 500ft agl then on final.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I installed the new alternate brand pump. It makes a lot of radio noise when on. It only makes noise on certain frequencies and only on COM 1. It's gong to have to go to the radio shop to solve it.
David B wrote:Welcome to the forum Andrew!!

Although this thead is 15 pages long the short answer to your question is that the most common sign of iminent failure begins with radio static...a sort of whining sound...in your headset while the pump is on. If the pump is off the sound goes away. From my recollection of this thread...which is a few years old...is that this is the primary complaint prior to failure.
Gearle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Registration: Private
Airports: KDWH

Post by Gearle »

AndrewM wrote:New member and owner here... purchased a wonderful '08 and hoping to finish up my instrument rating in the next few months. Anyhow, are there any typical warning signs that the pump may be on its way out? I typically switch it off at about 500ft agl then on final.
I have a 2003 DA40 with I believe a rebuilt Duke pump. For the two years I've owned it, it's not been a very quiet pump, but not having heard any others, I can't say whether the noise was abnormal or not.

This has been my failure mode process: within the last four months during flight while the pump was on, the fuel pump circuit breaker popped out. I pushed it back in, turned off the pump, waited a little while, then turned the pump back on and landed. It was hot that day (I live in Texas) and attributed it to that. It happened similar to that again. Then for a while nothing happened, but I also became much more aware of impending fragileness, and tried to use it very sparingly as people have outlined here.
Then a couple of weeks ago, I was at an event flying kids around in a traffic pattern.
I was judiciously priming ( using the pump ), starting, flying the pattern, coming back, turning off the engine, priming, starting engine, taking off, and so on. Probably a total of eight times.
Some days after that, I went back to the plane and was going to take a trip and noticed that the circuit breaker had popped. Pushed it back in; but now the pump would not come on at all.
I now am in the process of replacing the pump with a Weldon 18002 model.