3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Re: ForcedAeroMotive: SuperCharged DA40

Post by trepine »

Any updates. Been looking forward to this for a while.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

UPDATE: SuperCharged DA40

Post by BRS »

Sure, I'll be glad to offer an update.

I started saying over two years ago "we are getting close" I'm tired of those words so I won't say them. But really we are ... (I didn't say them).

In the past two weeks I have had two important (and telling) files in front of me for proof reading. First the TIR (Type Inspection Report) which provides the results of our tests to the FAA. The second is the AFMS (Airplane Flight Manual Supplement) which as you are probably familiar with, that basically supersedes parts of the AFM once the STC is installed. So basically we are at the point where everything is coming together and will soon be submitted to the FAA. The plane just finished up a Condition Inspection (experimental language for Annual) and I think they also updated the Experimental Airworthiness Certificate. I'll not miss having to do that. There is one minor (so I'm told) test left. We are required to do a noise :scream: test. Hopefully this will be more of a formality than anything (except the expense) as we are still not making more than 180 hp and the noise signature should not have changed.

So, as you can see, we are making progress. Soon, hopefully, we will run out of items on the checklist and there will be nothing to do but submit our stack of paper.

Bye for now.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Post by trepine »

Thanks for the update...and yes we all feel your frustration with the FAA STC process. It seems like this is has been one step away from release for 2 or 3 years now.

Thanks for all your work on this.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

I was mentioning your project to Jeff Owen at Premier and he said he was interested in catching up on your progress. Have you considered partnering with Premier?
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

A Dopo wrote:I was mentioning your project to Jeff Owen at Premier and he said he was interested in catching up on your progress. Have you considered partnering with Premier?
Why do we need another partner? We are almost done. Still waiting on the noise test though.
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Robfarthing
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: C-GYCM
Airports: CYBW

Post by Robfarthing »

Just wanted to chime in and offer verbal support for your project and hopefully soon approval. I recently read the lengthy forum discussion on Cirruspilots.org (COPA) about FAT's supercharged Cirrus stc. Surprisingly there were a lot of nay sayers and negativity towards the product from Cirrus turbo drivers. Rod Sage was extemely professional in responding to these, answering questions, and providing information to Turbo cirrus owners that werent even likey customers - to me spoke volumes about Rod and FAT; and a big reason why i'm seriously considering installing one of his SC's on my SR22 when budget allows.
Now there are a lot of rave reviews for the SuperCirrus and is considered to be a great upgrade/product.
I'm sure this will be the case for the da40 as well, and will have been worth the wait. I'm sure it will be a game changer.
Best of luck down the home stretch.
Rob
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Thanks for the words Rob.

Here is the latest update from Rod...
Hello everyone,

We are still waiting on approval of the noise test plan that I spoke of in my last update. In a phone conversation yesterday the FAA indicated they might get the approval out this week. The actual test will take a weekend (in Texas) and if all goes well 10 flights over the microphone will do it.

With the exception of the noise test, all the test reports have been submitted for approval as have the maintenance documents (ICAs) and although the flight manual supplement is waiting on the results of the noise test it was agreed yesterday that it could also be submitted for preliminary approval.

I am pushing hard to get this completed before the holidays when the FAA will have less time to work on this project.

Rod
Fly and EAB Sportsman
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

UPDATE: SuperCharged DA40

Post by BRS »

Greetings All,
The following is an update from Rod. It's unclear to me why they are now requiring a new TIA but we will keep pressing forward. "Should" not set us back too much. But then "should" is a word i reserve for what is normal and expected.
-brs
====
Hello everyone,

The noise test plan has been approved, but the FAA will not allow us to do it under the current Type Inspection Authorization (TIA). The TIA is the document that locks the modification in place and authorizes final testing for that modification. That is what has been used for all prior testing. Although there have been no changes under the current TIA they requested a new one be submitted.

It has been submitted and I await their signatures.

With the submittlal of the noise test report all the requested data should be complete. The STC File Checklist, or Project Closure Checklist, or whatever the individual ACO labels it, is now three, 3 inch binders with every document produced in this project. It is the FAA’s job to assemble this document but I have done it for them in hopes of speeding things up and getting some brownie points. All that is left to put in it is the noise test data.

Thanks again for all your support and patience.

Rod
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

It is going to be so exciting when you get to peel "EXPERIMENTAL" off your plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Colin wrote:It is going to be so exciting when you get to peel "EXPERIMENTAL" off your plane.
Colin, I believe mine must be the lowest time 2006 DA40 in the fleet. Yes it will be very exciting to put it back in normal category and start putting out kits and getting feedback.

Until then it's ....... :bow FAA
Fly and EAB Sportsman