4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Re: ForcedAeroMotive: SuperCharged DA40

Post by BRS »

Hi Joey,
Not yet but still working on it. We seem to have gotten past our last huge hurtle and now it's just paper work. Currently we are waiting for a final draft related the "hurtle" to be reviewed by our DER. He is very busy and as a result we have been delayed.

Don't give up asking about this project as each day brings us closer to completion.
Regards.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I just read through this for the first time. Great work to Brock and Rod. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this STC could be installed in a Canadian registered plane, or would additional approvals be required? I have no experience or knowledge with these things. Thanks.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Hi Lou (et all),
I just got off the phone with Rod from Forced Aeromotive to ask him your question, just to be sure. The answer is YES. So Canada and the USA have a reciprocal agreement concerning STC's.

While I'm at it (typing on the forum) I'll give you a short update....

As you may recall, we were held up due to a costly test the FAA was asking for which we disagreed with. Finally, we (FAA & SBARS) agreed upon an alternate method of compliance. The paperwork for this had a month long delay as we waited for outside personnel (a DER) to review our documents. As of this week, I'm happy to report, that the ball is now again rolling and hope to see the pace towards completion to pick up.

Thanks for your patience and support.

-brs
Fly and EAB Sportsman
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

UPDATE: SuperCharged

Post by BRS »

After many many weeks with no movement we finally have some progress. Below is a short note (update) from Rod at Forced-Aeromotive.
Hello everyone,

We are now waiting for the FAA to bless the document we have all been working on for months now. Hopefully everyone will get what they want from it.

I expect the two individuals trying to help us get this done will conference with the others back east and if everyone is happy we can proceed to the STC.

As soon as I hear from the FAA I will send another update.

Thanks,

Rod
Fly and EAB Sportsman
TodWulff
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tod
Aircraft Registration: N252AX
Airports: KMQY

Post by TodWulff »

BRS, in a different thread about starters, wrote: We used the inline NL starter for the supercharger installation as we needed the extra side clearance. I believe it was some fuel lines to the servo that get in the way but that was an easy change. I've the original starter (less than 300 hours) sitting on the shelf. Probably should list-it as I doubt I'll be using it.
Are those of us, who are looking at Rod's SC solution, to understand that the inline NL starter is necessary, for FAT SC compatibility?

Please advise. TIA.

-t
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Are those of us, who are looking at Rod's SC solution, to understand that the inline NL starter is necessary, for FAT SC compatibility?
Short answer - Yes
Longer answer - My statement quoted above was incorrect for the "reason". The reason is the SC mount interferes with the stock starter. However, nothing is written in stone until the STC is certified. Even then, we have come up with a few design changes that we may choose to apply once the STC is granted. However, if you are in need of a starter, and are planning on adding the SC STC to your aircraft, it makes sense to use the inline starter.
Fly and EAB Sportsman
TodWulff
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tod
Aircraft Registration: N252AX
Airports: KMQY

Post by TodWulff »

Coo. Thank you for the clarification, kind sir. Much appreciated.

-t
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

BRS wrote:However, if you are in need of a starter, and are planning on adding the SC STC to your aircraft, it makes sense to use the inline starter.
Hi Brock -

Just to clarify, AFAIK the inline ("NL") starter does not fit in the stock DA40. So if you need a replacement starter now, the inline starter won't work.

See this thread: link.

Chris
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

As this project seems to be really close to completion, I have 3 questions Brock:

- Has Rod set a price for people who have not contributed a downpayment ?
- Did you produce performance data as part of the STC documentation?
- Have you given the choice of propeller a thought? I know you tested with the metal 2 blade Hartzell, just wondering if any calculations were done regarding the suitability of the different props.

The additional power (at altitude), higher cruise speed and lower air density constitute a news set of parameters. The prop's operating point is correspondingly shifted, and one could find out that one prop benefits by moving into a higher efficiency domain whereas the other slips out of its sweet spot?

If it turns out that one of the composite props is better adapted, then people who have the metal prop and install the SC would have another reason for swapping props apart from the weight issue.

This is a really exciting time. Thanks and congratulations to both of you for pushing this through. Hopefully the interest of the community will turn into many orders!
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

UPDATE: ForcedAeroMotive: SuperCharged DA40

Post by BRS »

This just in from Rod...
Hello everyone,
I just received a call from the Los Angeles ACO. The FAA has accepted our documentation and the issue of endurance testing is over.

We will now proceed with submitting our test reports, draft ICAs, draft AFMS, etc, all the stuff we planned on doing 4 years ago.

Thank you again to everyone for your continued encouragement.

Rod
Antoine,
I don't know the final pricing though we have discussed it.
Yes we have done performance testing but the official stuff was just boring faa required conformity data. The good stuff, like 1000 fpm to 16K' and cruise at 165 TAS was unofficial flying done on my own flying alone. It will be fun to see what real world numbers the first few installation yield.
We've not done any other prop calculations than what was required.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING (to those of you in the USA, the rest of you can be thankful that we continue to make progress.)
Fly and EAB Sportsman