3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Re: ForcedAeroMotive: SuperCharged DA40

Post by Star57 »

Chris wrote:
Star57 wrote:....sure it burns an additional 5 gallons per hour, but 30K buys a lot of 5 gallon jugs of 100LL, @ $5.00 per gallon, it would be like 6.000 jugs or 6000 hours, not adjusted for inflation.
:scratch: I think you mean 1200 hours since 5 gallons (1 hour in your example) would be $25.
I do wish them a lot of sucess in their STC, and please dont take my cynical comments personally :)
I also wish them much success. I might still consider this STC at $30k installed since we do a fair amount of mountain flying, and I'd prefer to keep the DA40XL over switching to an older Bonanza or 182T.
I stand corrected....what was I thinking :?: if you need it for mountain flying, it may be justified....
Cheers
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

First, my apologies to all of you who are subscribed to this thread and quickly logged-in hoping that this was "the announcement" that we are all waiting to hear. DAMHIKT ;)

But I placed a deposit for this supercharger today, and thought that other people might want to know the latest ordering situation. I certainly did! Rod confirmed that he is OK if I let everyone here know that he is still accepting refundable $10k deposits to lock-in his original $24.5k target price (plus shipping & installation).

Separately - and explicitly *without* announcing anything, as this is not my decision!:
IMO this $24.5k pricing will probably expire once they announce the STC completion. I think it is reasonable to assume that the lengthy delays have added to the "I" part of their ROI calculations. Forced Aeromotive's costs are probably almost completely dominated by R&D, not the material costs for the supercharger/hoses/cowling, etc. So if you are seriously interested, you may want to give Rod a shout RealSoonNow(tm).

I know that there are a wide range of opinions on whether $25k is good value. Like any pricing consideration, only a buyer can make this decision. In my case, my most popular destinations are probably going to be in or around the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Lake Tahoe is gorgeous in the summer. >10k DA on a warm summer afternoon, not so much. :thumbsd:

While I would obviously prefer a price closer to zero, the prospect of near-sea level climb rates out of Tahoe is *definitely* worth $25k to me! :thumbsup: I feel so strongly about this that I seriously considered getting a 182T instead of the DA40, but the prospect of sliding this supercharger into the nose was very attractive. And after hearing my parents moan about the repair bills for my Dad's turbo-normalized flat-six (with complicated waste-gate, etc), I *really* like the simplicity and elegance of this solution.

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

I've exchanged a few additional emails with Rod since yesterday. He sent me some new pics of the cowling both before and after installation and is OK if I post them here. Everything will be painted properly, but any stripe work is the owner's responsibility.

For my 2008, the front edge of the decorative trim will need to be redone.

I also plan to plaster a nice "Supercharged" notation on the cowl. :D

Chris
Bottom cowl - prior to installation.JPG
Bottom cowl - prior to installation.JPG (61.41 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Cowl installed - front-right quarter view.JPG
Cowl installed - front-right quarter view.JPG (75.19 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Cowl installed - left profile view.JPG
Cowl installed - left profile view.JPG (80.84 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

This may be a dumb question but will this system work with out having the power-flow and keeping the old metal two blade prop? I'm guessing it will and just maintain my current horsepower up higher.
Second question, could I upgrade the prop and exhaust later with out further mods?

Jeff
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

Gasser wrote:This may be a dumb question but will this system work with out having the power-flow and keeping the old metal two blade prop? I'm guessing it will and just maintain my current horsepower up higher.
Second question, could I upgrade the prop and exhaust later with out further mods?

Jeff
Not dumb at all. These are great questions! Unfortunately Rod is really the only guy that can answer them.

In the US, call (720) 348-0622. :)

Chris
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Chris B wrote:
Gasser wrote:This may be a dumb question but will this system work with out having the power-flow and keeping the old metal two blade prop? I'm guessing it will and just maintain my current horsepower up higher.

Jeff
Not dumb at all. These are great questions! Unfortunately Rod is really the only guy that can answer them.

In the US, call (720) 348-0622. :)

Chris
Well here is the deal, the prop and exhaust would cost prob 20k after install if I go composite like I want. Do charger for a tad more and add those later if the charger doesn't give the performance I want. Upgrade the prop when I have too.

Ill give him a call.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Just got the plane back from Troutdale Aircraft Services (TAS). I had them split the cowl to make removing the lower cowl easier. Before, I had to remove the spinner, which I considered unacceptable. I've not yet removed it but I think now it is going to be quite simple.
Brock what happened to the 3 part cowling? The pics above seem to imply it is gone? Were you dissatisfied or what?
Rod Sage
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rod
Airports: KAPA

Post by Rod Sage »

Hello Everyone,

I’d like to apologize for not being more active in the forums, but I will try to answer some questions.

The two blade metal prop is OK for the supercharger.
The stock exhaust is fine also.
We are working with Power Flow Systems to offer a supercharger/exhaust package.
If the supercharge is added to an aircraft with the composite prop, the metal plates on the front of the engine will be removed so that the total aircraft weight increase for the installation will be 4.6 ounces.
Additional complexity and structural issues have dictated a return to the one piece lower cowl. It is best to remove the spinner when installing the cowl. We see lots of dinged up spinners and a few extra minutes can prevent all those scratches.

What did I miss?

Rod
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Ok. On a serious note now.
Yesterday, after several conversations with Rod Sage over the past couple of days I did happily and enthusiastically send him my 10k deposit for a supercharger. How did I come to this conclusion especially since if anything I had been mostly opposed to the supercharger. Well, it happened like this.

First, foremost, for my wife, myself, soon to be newest member of the family (Portuguese Water Doggy) the Diamond 40 has always been in so many ways the perfect plane for our defined missions which is basically frequent trips of 50 to 500 miles with a trip or two to Florida or somewhere way down South for the winter and a trip out West into the Rockies somewhere at least once a year.

last Wednesday, January23rd, Chris B posted on this thread in which he placed a down payment on a supercharger which prompted me to basically review the entire history of acquiring an stc for a supercharger, its development and where it stands today as pretty much an end product. All I'll say is, until you have reviewed the entire history of this project it's pretty difficult to see all of the challenges and changes that have taken place which have progressively improved the final product.

That being said, everyone has there reasons for wanting a supercharger, turbocharger etc. We all want to go faster and pretty much use "speed" as a measuring stick to justify whether or not it's worth the expense.
After reviewing all of the posts and talking to Rod, I view the supercharger more as a performance enhancing tool that does a whole lot more than just make one go faster. Speed is only one of its attributes.

While everyone has there reasons why they will or will not add a supercharger to their aircraft, I have listed below the reasons why I have as follows:

1.) Simplicity of design. Unlike some of the other installations, (Cirrus Cessna) it weighs about half and takes up about a quarter of the space which in turn by its very nature increases efficiency. Less parts and pieces to break and maintain.

2.) Its very conservative design which limits its performance by its very nature eliminates excessive wear and tear on the engine. While not entirely impossible it's unlikely one would over boost the engine.

3.) Essentially I'm carrying my current sea level performance all the way up to 7,000' da and then performance bleeds off the same way from there on up in just the same way as it would from sea level prior to supercharger installation with the exception that I am now flying in thinner air and going faster as a result. I can fly my airplane lop with rpms exactly where I want as I did pre-supercharger. Really, the only thing different about my airplane after I have the supercharger installed is my plane will always be thinking it's flying at sea level until approx. 7,000' da. It's so simple it's scary.

4.) Although I'm a flat lander and we don't have the Rockies here to cross everyday, we do have the Great Lakes that I like to go over on a regular basis. Anyone who lives anywhere near the Great Lakes knows how cold the water is when it's not frozen. Depending on how long I plan on being over the water, I like to get as high above the water as I can reasonably get. The supercharger will make the climb much easier.

5.) My wife and I went out to Aspen and Telluride for the first time ever last year. Long story short, it was incredible. While that trip can be done in a non-aspirated airplane, a supercharged plane makes it that much easier.

6.) When you look at what is costs to super charge the DA40 compared to other comparable aircraft, in my opinion, even after stc, it's a bargain.

So, how did I sell my wife on the supercharger? Like Chris, I started out telling my wife how much safer the supercharger would make our trips over lakes and over mountains. Superchargers are great I said. My wife thought I was talking about a new NFL football team.
Then I tried explaining "density altitude" and how much better the plane would fly at various levels. My wife thought "density altitude" was a new reality tv show and wanted to know what channel it was on.
Finally, I told her we could easily fly to Aspen and Telluride every year, bring our new puppy with us, not have to worry about keeping our combined luggage under 25 lbs. and stay there for weeks on end if we wanted to. That worked. We had sex all night and the next morning I wrote Rod a check for 10g and the rest is history. :mrgreen:
A big thanks to Brock, Rod and any other unknowns who have persisted in the development of this product.
I personally think this is a game changer for the DA40.
bcocheran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brad
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N373AM
Airports: KELK

Post by bcocheran »

Hey guys!

A few questions here.

When is the supercharger available?
What are the concerns or considerations of the extra torque and other stresses on the composite airframe (if any)?
How much will the supercharger increase the RPM range (if any)?
What are our 3 blade systems readed for?

Thanks for reading...Brad
Brad Cocheran (KELK)
N373AM (2005 Diamond DA20)
N951TB (2006 Piper Meridian)
and several others...

Former:
N216DG (G1000) (40.698) - KELK
N108LC (G1000) 2013 SR22T
N835SR (Avidyne) 2006 SR22