5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Steam gauge DA-40 with Aspen or Garmin retrofit glass pa

Post by Lance Murray »

Gary,

With experience you just learn to split the difference. :)

That is an old photo from when I was having issues. That seems to be solved now.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The Aspen is good now. I think the problems that they were having were due to several factors that seem to be ok now.

Take a good look at cost. The Aspen will take about 40 hours labor to install. I suspect the G-500 is more. Overall I think that I would rather have the Garmin but the Aspen is good if you are price sensitive.

Aspen themselves are not really too sure about the SVT upgrade. They are working on it but don't know what the final product will be. I bet it is not out till next year if ever.

My work airplane is a 767-300ER Freighter.
Erik wrote:That looks really nice Lance. Is the Aspen stable now? A friend has one in a P210 and it seems really nice. I also read they are coming out with a SVT upgrade which is just a software upgrade for about $2500 due to release this year.

What airplane model is that you drive at work?
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Lance Murray wrote:Gary,

With experience you just learn to split the difference. :)

That is an old photo from when I was having issues. That seems to be solved now.
I am not surprised that Aspen was able to work out the bugs since it has been out for a while. I agree that it would be a more cost effective solution for glass in a DA40 than Garmin. I still prefer Garmin but paid a premium price. I probably should have purchased a G1000 DA40 but I am pleased with the higher gross weight of my earlier model.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Gary wrote:I am not surprised that Aspen was able to work out the bugs since it has been out for a while. I agree that it would be a more cost effective solution for glass in a DA40 than Garmin. I still prefer Garmin but paid a premium price. I probably should have purchased a G1000 DA40 but I am pleased with the higher gross weight of my earlier model.
The lower useful load in my G1000 DA40 is the only thing I don't like, wish I had a few more lbs.
tomb
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: tomb
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N289HF
Airports: TE01

Post by tomb »

What would be the approximate useful load differential between a steam gauge and a G-1000 DA-40?
My reason for asking, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 DA-40 with steam gauges (including HSI) for a nice price. My concern is resale in a few years, especially since Garmin announced their new units yesterday. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Tom
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

tomb wrote:What would be the approximate useful load differential between a steam gauge and a G-1000 DA-40?
My reason for asking, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 DA-40 with steam gauges (including HSI) for a nice price. My concern is resale in a few years, especially since Garmin announced their new units yesterday. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Tom
My 2010XLS has a useful load of 811lbs as a reference.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Early G1000 DA40s typically have an empty weight of around 1740 and newer G1000 DA40s can get up to about 1840. Not all of the early DA40s have the gross weight increase option. A 2002 would need new main landing gear that runs around $4,000? installed before you can have the gross weight increase done for a few hundred bucksmore. The G500 did not change the W&B significantly. Does the 2002 have an autopilot? An AP can't be installed at a reasonable price.

My 2003 DA40 with gross weight increase has a useful load of 934 lbs and a full fuel payload of 694 lbs. The DA40s with 40 gal tanks have a wider CG range than the long range 50 gal tanks.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

tomb wrote:What would be the approximate useful load differential between a steam gauge and a G-1000 DA-40?

Thanks,

Tom
My 2002 has an empty weight of 1710. This is about 9 pounds heavier than the delivered weight, due to retrofit of the larger baggage compartment and a couple of other minor things. Powerflow is a really good option to look for. I haven't done the GW increase, but may next winter. This will bump my MTOW to 2646 lb, Max Landing Weight to 2535, and give us a useful load at takeoff of 936 lb.

BTW, the GW increase introduces a max zero fuel weight of 2535 lbs.

Lots to consider.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Lance! You are brilliant. I never thought of putting my backup 396 GPS there. Do you feel like you loose any comfort for having it between your legs? My guess is that you don't even notice it since your legs are split apart there anyway because of the center stick.

Wow - I want to put my 396 there.

How did you mount it? I would very much appreciate if you have any pictures with the actual 396 removed but just showing the mount and how you placed it onto the airplane. Are there screws? Did you end up modifying a RAAM mount or something?
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Erik wrote:Lance! You are brilliant. I never thought of putting my backup 396 GPS there. Do you feel like you loose any comfort for having it between your legs? My guess is that you don't even notice it since your legs are split apart there anyway because of the center stick.

Wow - I want to put my 396 there.

How did you mount it? I would very much appreciate if you have any pictures with the actual 396 removed but just showing the mount and how you placed it onto the airplane. Are there screws? Did you end up modifying a RAAM mount or something?
Ditto !
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal