5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

ACK 406 MHz ELT Update

Post by Rick »

For those of you still waiting for the ACK E-04 replacement ELT kit, I see ACK posted the following update on their web site last week:

Our engineer returned home last Friday (11/19/2010) from the military lab. All re-testing was fully completed the following Monday. As predicted the E-04 again passed all tests. We are now waiting for what will be report #8 to be sent to COSPAS. This should happen around the 25th of this month. From there it's up to COSPAS to process the final approval. The E-04 has passed every test, and re-test, required. We cannot foresee them having any more issues.

Not that I actually expect to receive an ELT any time soon, but I thought I'd at least open this thread so we can follow it on the DAN...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Re: ACK 406 MHz ELT Update

Post by Rick »

It looks like the ACK E-04 replacement ELT kit has finally been approved! ACK posted the following update on their web site a few days ago:

January 26th 2011

Wow, I wondered when/if we would ever be able to say it....but we are fully approved! Today we received the official certificate. We are doing all of the final ordering this week, and we need to program the ELT's with our certification numbers we just received. The ELT's should be shipping by mid/late February. Thanks for your patience.

The last time I spoke with Jarrett Haffner at ACK, he said our orders were still active, but he would be contacting us before shipping anything once they were approved (for those of us who "pre-ordered" back in 2009). I will try to contact him this week and see where we stand now, and report back here.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

I have the ACK-01 121.5MHz ELT and would like to replace it with a 406MHz unit
Having seen OSB40-062 (installation of Artex 406MHz ELT) and also pre-info about the ACK-01 direct replacement, I asked Diamond Canada several months ago if they would be issuing an SB for the ACK direct replacement - the answer was "no plans".
So my questions:

a) anyone know any different i.e. if there is an SB 'coming along' from Diamond for the ACK 406MHz unit - should be MUCH simpler than the SB for the Artex unit [I was quoted ~$1,100 just for fitting the Artex unit here in the UK: fitting the replacement ACK would be way cheaper and quicker]

b) without the SB how can you fit the ACK unit? (Excuse my ignorance, I am in the UK so not so familar with FAA etc. rules)

Thanks
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ThomasD wrote:I have the ACK-01 121.5MHz ELT and would like to replace it with a 406MHz unit
Having seen OSB40-062 (installation of Artex 406MHz ELT) and also pre-info about the ACK-01 direct replacement, I asked Diamond Canada several months ago if they would be issuing an SB for the ACK direct replacement - the answer was "no plans".
So my questions:

a) anyone know any different i.e. if there is an SB 'coming along' from Diamond for the ACK 406MHz unit - should be MUCH simpler than the SB for the Artex unit [I was quoted ~$1,100 just for fitting the Artex unit here in the UK: fitting the replacement ACK would be way cheaper and quicker]

b) without the SB how can you fit the ACK unit? (Excuse my ignorance, I am in the UK so not so familar with FAA etc. rules)

Thanks
ACK Technology posted today on their website that they are fully approved in Canada:

http://www.ackavionics.com/406%20Page.html
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mosierjr
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: J.R.
Aircraft Registration: N525ST
Airports: 5TX0

Post by mosierjr »

Hi All,
My ACK E04 finally arrives tomorrow! Has anyone installed yet? Suggestions for antenna? How about the GPS hookup? ----- Any info would help. ----------- Thanks, J.R. Mosier
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP

Post by Tim »

Paid my money but not seen the unit yet ....
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

mosierjr wrote:Hi All,
My ACK E04 finally arrives tomorrow! Has anyone installed yet? Suggestions for antenna? How about the GPS hookup? ----- Any info would help. ----------- Thanks, J.R. Mosier
I'm assuming you have the installation instructions already, but here is a link, just in case:

http://www.ackavionics.com/pdf/E-04_Ins ... ev_1.5.pdf

The unit is supposed to come with an antenna, according to the documentation. The GPS hookup sounds pretty straight-forward from the docs, assuming you already have a G1000, and the existing panel-mounted ELT interface is supposed to work with the new ELT. All this is speculation from what I've read - I still haven't seen or installed one yet!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
mosierjr
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by mosierjr »

After looking through the box and reading the instructions I had a couple questions for ACK. FYI, here's what they said. ---------- J.R. Mosier

They mistakenly included the remote in the first few retrofit units we shipped. You can use the old remote and keep that one as a spare. It is up to the installer to determine what is required to comply with FAA regulations. Most IA’s and A&P just enter it as a log book maintenance entry. If you go to our website and go to Tech Support there is a guide to filling out Form 337 at the bottom is a reference to an AC which deals with replacing TSO appliances with like TSO appliances which can be done as maintenance.

Mike Akatiff

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 9:02 AM
To: info@ackavionics.com
Subject: 406 ELT

ACK,
I just received your ACK 406 through American Avionics and have some questions.

1. Your web page says it can use the remote panel, wiring and tray from the E01, which I have. The retrofit kit description does not include a remote panel even listed as the full kit does. However my kit included a new panel. Can you use the old one or not? What is the difference from the one on my 2005 ACK E01 and the new one?

2. Your marketing states it’s a direct replacement. The cover of your install manual says installation must be approved by the administrator?? Are you implying a 337 process is required? Why would you need one for a radio replacement? If it is required you should state so clearly. What is the real requirement?

Thank you ------------- J.R. Mosier
Brian
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: N224BS
Airports: KPIA

Post by Brian »

Mike,

Have you installed your E04 yet? Did you need a 337? I was reading the instructions and you are supposed to have a 48" ground plane centered around the antennae--which we certainly don't have since the antennae is mounted in the side of the fuselage. Also I had to remove the antennae mounting bracket and bend it slightly so that the new antennae doesn't interfere with the extended baggage insert.

There is a lot of shielding on the top of the fuselage around the comm 1 antennae-I wonder if this would block a lot of the ELT's signal???

Thanks,
Brian
mosierjr
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by mosierjr »

I have installed it. The instructions and ACK on the phone say its up to the installer to determine if installation is adequate or paperwork needed, but that generally Tso'd for equivalent Tso'd is considered maintenance, so I logged the swap that way. I didn't need to bend the bracket, with the antenna in the original clip expoxied to the fuselage on mine it gave me 2" clearance to the tube.

I relied on the existing, ground plane foil and just made sure the antenna was not hitting the upper grounded foil.

My only test besides the red LED test for the GPS signal was to have someone listen in a block away on a handheld on 121.5 while my plane was still in a metal hangar. Picked it up just fine. Don't have a way to test 406. ------------------- J.R.
Attachments
P1000824.JPG
P1000824.JPG (206.83 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
P1000804.JPG
P1000804.JPG (197.98 KiB) Viewed 5602 times