3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

MTOW Increase Need Trim Adjustment Template

Post by Tom-B »

I am pursuing the MTOW increase for my 2002 DA40 which requires compliance to OSB 40-057 and OSB 40-025 (upgrading the landing gear and adjusting the trim).

Coordinating with Diamond and my A&P we learned that we need to secure a particular Diamond Template to make this trim adjustment. Seems Diamond informed my A&P that we will need to purchase this single use template for $1,000.

I am wondering if anyone has access to this travel checking template (D60-5520-00-PL) as I would be happy to rent the template from you.

As always, I greatly appreciate the support of this Forum.

Tom
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Re: MTOW Increase Need Trim Adjustment Template

Post by Tom-B »

[album][/album]
Attachments
Image 4-16-21 at 11.35 AM.jpeg
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I had mine done at a nearby Diamond Service Center. It was a few years back but I know I was not charged for this gizmo. I don't know if they already had one or if there's an alternate means of compliance for confirming elevator travel limits. The AMM refers to using a commercially available deflection gauge to measure control surface ranges.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Tom-B »

Rich - Thanks so much for your perspective. I will reach out to Diamond and ask them about the possibility of using a deflection gauge.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I am disappointed that Diamond wouldn't let you borrow one of theirs. Why not just ask for a $1K deposit and then refund $800 when you return it? Are they trying to chase away loyal owners? Unconscionable.

I don't have one to lend, and haven't done the upgrade on my airplane. But if you ever need to pull the wings, I do have the special Diamond tool to pull the wing attach bolts...
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Tom-B »

My wife suggested if we need to buy this template, we could always make it available to others who might need it.
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Tom-B »

Good news. Using Rich’s advice I reached to Diamond Technical Support, to ask whether I could use a tool other than the Diamond template.

The Diamond team quickly got back to me and said an inclinometer could be used instead of the template to set the required travel of the elevator. The template specified in the OSB was merely a Diamond suggested practice to achieve the needed result.

The new struts just arrived . . . So hopefully my Diamond will shortly have a nicely improved useful load.

Thanks Rich.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Tom-B wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 pm Good news. Using Rich’s advice I reached to Diamond Technical Support, to ask whether I could use a tool other than the Diamond template.

The Diamond team quickly got back to me and said an inclinometer could be used instead of the template to set the required travel of the elevator. The template specified in the OSB was merely a Diamond suggested practice to achieve the needed result.

The new struts just arrived . . . So hopefully my Diamond will shortly have a nicely improved useful load.

Thanks Rich.
Assuming you chose the thinner 18mm struts there are also a few pounds of empty weight trimmed off. Enjoy :thumbsup:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5