4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: Lean of peak

Post by Lou »

I retract TO flaps 300-400agl after positive rates are confirmed. Then rpm, and fuel pump.

I was a passenger in a Pipistrel Viper last year and the pilot, who is the dealer, had a different technique. He would take off, stay in ground effect and retract flaps. Then the aircraft would accelerate in ground effect before commencing an aggressive climb. It was really fun.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Airports: HWV

Post by Hans »

Always use performance chart.....1800...3Kft....21.8MP....burns around 5.0-4.8 per hour....between 95-105 knots....CHT... are around 310 depending upon season...never in a rush
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Hi Hans,

If practical, I like to climb at 100 kts. Doing so helps keep my CHTs below 400 on hot days.

I have never had my prop down to 1800 RPM; 2200 is the lowest speed that seems to work for me.

I have standard injectors and fine-wire plugs. I can fly LOP very smoothly but not at all RPM and MP settings. I love to fly that way when I have the time (which seems almost never). My CHTs drop to the 200/300 border, fuel flow drops into the 6-7 GPH range, and I generally pay only a 15-20 kt. penalty. The engine is also spooky quiet.

I'll take any extra knots you don't give Antoine.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Hans »

That's great info....will try 2200 with the MP 'by the book" then lean from there.....is this all altitudes ?
Thx
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I don't know anything about low altitudes Hans. The lowest I fly is 7,500 and usually 8,500-11,500. At 7,500 MSL, 2250 at 21-22 MP is an area that you might start with. I often end up with a odd combination of numbers because I find that a difference of 10 or 20 RPM or a fraction of an inch of MP can make a difference in smoothness. I also run a little richer than the leanest I can get away with. It seems less sensitive to minor changes in atmospherics that way.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Hans »

OK...will do thanks for the great info. love to hear other pilots "idea, or favorite settings"...

Hans
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

I'm just finishing up my transition training with a Diamond factory-certified CFI, so have factory-fresh recommendations for planes of my vintage (2007/8).

His recommendation is that the prop be pulled back to 2400 before leaving the pattern; and that this should be the default setting for everything not involving pattern work. When in doubt, put it there. If you don't have a good reason to change it, leave it there.

Flaps should come up at about 100' AGL (sometime before reaching the end of a middling-sized runway, in other words). I love the feeling when they come up: suddenly, we're in bat-out-of-hell climb mode, which is a lot of fun.

His recommended lean settings are about 1400 ROP, which typically gives me 9-10gph standard cruise.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

There was a harmonic vibration introduced into the exhaust risers at 2400rpm. It was solved with some additional pieces, I think, but my hand still won't ever put it at 2400. The prop goes from max back to 2350.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

I'll try it. Thanks.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

BlueYonder wrote:I'm just finishing up my transition training with a Diamond factory-certified CFI, so have factory-fresh recommendations for planes of my vintage (2007/8).

His recommendation is that the prop be pulled back to 2400 before leaving the pattern; and that this should be the default setting for everything not involving pattern work. When in doubt, put it there. If you don't have a good reason to change it, leave it there.

Flaps should come up at about 100' AGL (sometime before reaching the end of a middling-sized runway, in other words). I love the feeling when they come up: suddenly, we're in bat-out-of-hell climb mode, which is a lot of fun.

His recommended lean settings are about 1400 ROP, which typically gives me 9-10gph standard cruise.
This is quite amazing. I am not a CFI and have no claim to teaching flying, but I do not like the recommendations above.
I would never touch the flaps at 100 feet AGL. In fact I would not change anything to the configuration of an aircraft unless necessary (Go Around) that low. Imagine what can happen: a flap symmetry failure, a bump while you hit the switch and you end up with full flaps and simply a bank induced by reaching for the flap switch. And did I mention engine failure?
Get to 500 feet safely and then start fiddling is my personal rule.

Pulling back to 2400 RPM before the climb is doing it "by the book" - only the old book before the addendum that removes this limitation. It castrates the DA40's climb rate and, as Colin said, puts the engine/prop in an RPM band that I don't like. Is your CFI an engineer or "just" a CFI?

Since this forum is read by many people, I felt that it was necessary to object to the above "factory blessed" ideas. Nothing personal - just wanted to share my experience which is VERY different. Let people choose their comfort zone