4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

SureFly is Certified and installed on my DA-20 - first impressions

Post by RMarkSampson »

On a previous post I alluded to installing a SureFly on my DA-20 - a result of an accidental frying of my Shower of Sparks system. I researched a replacement Shower of Sparks and a Slick Start option. Both would have been a cheaper path to follow. However, I had been also looking at the SureFly. Last December, it was time to IRAN my magnetos so I investigated SureFly but their STC was still "pending" so I IRANed both mags and reinstalled them. However, that pending status changed in March and it was now an third option to consider.

Doing my research - I asked some questions to include why their system was better. The Slick Start guy said "May want to let SureFly percolate for a while as I’ve heard of issues…" No hard evidence, just conjecture. SureFly provided a more thoughtful and honest responses in my opinion. Here are a few Q&As that sold me.

Q: My Tach Pickup is on my left Slick magneto with retard points. It is an electronic pickup which drives my JPI EDM-900 tachometer. Is this something I can transfer to the SureFly or should I look to move the tach pickup to the left mag?

A: Yes - you would move tach sensor to the remaining magneto. (During a following phone conversation the technician spoke about a method they have for generating a RPM tach signal square wave for the JPI, but recommend against doing it at this time. In a 'one-SureFly design' you would not get a tach reading during the mag check when you turn off the SureFly to check the other magneto.)

Q: Before I saw the update on the DA-20 STC no longer "pending" on the AML, I asked Champion about their SLICKstart. I mentioned to them my other option was a SureFly - and they said "believe SureFly is having issues" - is this just an attempt to sway me back to their product - or are there issues I need to be aware of? ...was interested in knowing if there were any problems with other DA-20 installs?

A: We have in fact seen some odd issues on a few DA40’s. In at least one case, it was isolated to operator leaning (over-leaning) procedures. Two others are pending additional customer feedback, and in another case the customer decided to remove our SIM rather than troubleshoot further. In all of these cases, one of the reported issues was intermittent roughness or “stumbles” especially on power (MP) reduction. We have also isolated a problem that appears on a small percentage of 24 Volt airplanes (mostly late model C-172’s and 182’s and a few Bonanzas). These airplane electrical systems periodically exhibit relatively high (over 35 Volt) spikes. The SIM internal over-voltage protection trips at 35 Volts and this can lead to intermittent “stumbles” in flight. For airplanes that exhibit these over-voltage spikes and subsequent intermittent SIM issues, we have identified an interim fix using a TSOd 24/12V down convertor. A hardened SIM design that will withstand much higher (over 50V) electrical system spikes is pending FAA approval for manufacture. We have learned the root causes of these spikes vary. In some cases, we have been unable to isolate the source. In others, it can be something like an air-conditioning blower motor or other onboard appliance that causes the spikes.

SureFly's honesty and customer support sold me so I now have a SureFly installed on my DA-20. Initially I still had a problem starting the engine but I replaced the battery and she fired right up. Believe the battery was suffering low voltage (8.5V) while cranking the engine and it might have caused the SureFly from operating properly when the starter was turning.

Once running properly - there was no new "procedures" to know for flying. The electronic ignition system and new battery provides for very positive and energetic starts. There is a slight "bump" during mag checks when you check the right magneto. It takes a fraction of a second for the SureFly to reboot itself and you can feel that momentary pause as the switch goes from "right only" to "left only" before going back to "both." I am noticing the hotter spark more easily increases CHTs. Best way I can put it is the engine has a different temperament - especially in the leaning EGT/CHT world. There is nothing wrong, but you will find yourself adjusting to her new temperament as I have found in managing EGTs and CHTs in flight. I recommend keeping an eye on CHTs during climbs. I believe that energetic SureFly spark is providing more power, but it does increase CHTs more easily. Red line is 450F but I like to keep CHTs below 360F by reducing climb rate, richening the mixture, or take brief pauses in a climb to allow the cylinders to cool.

One final comment. When you time a magneto - you must ensure you are on the compression stroke. Otherwise the magneto fires in between the exhaust and intake stroke vice at the top of the compression stroke and the engine does not run. However, when speaking to the SureFly technician about how the timing light blinks off on both strokes, and how I know it is timed to the correct stroke - he confirmed that the SureFly fires on both strokes. i.e. they called it a "wasted spark" as it does nothing when it fires in between the exhaust and intake stroke. So you really cannot mis-time the SureFly to the wrong stroke.

I have 15 hours on the SureFly now - first impression: no complaints...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: SureFly is Certified and installed on my DA-20 - first impressions

Post by Rich »

There's a lengthy thread in the Lycoming forum on SF. What we have found is the SIM isn't reliably happy with 28 V systems. The additional stuff seems to quiet the problem. I and a C210 owner based here on the field are slated to receive the upgraded version when available. With 12V systems I have heard of no such issues. SF has been forthcoming in resolving this problem.

And the higher CHTs are an acknowledged outcome. As long as they're not excessive it's not a problem. I find that CHTs now seem to follow OAT much closer than I can ever remember. EGT's are clearly down.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5