1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: richard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: n647ds
Airports:

ADSB options

Post by diamond_flyer »

What are my adsb options for a DA20? It has a 530 non-waas and a gtx330.
plynkus
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N838US
Airports: KBVS

Re: ADSB options

Post by plynkus »

Mine was similarly equipped. Swapped the GTX330 for a 335, which included a separate WAAS antenna that the shop mounted so as to mirror the existing bracketing for / placement of the original GPS antenna (in the empennage aft of the primary cargo shell).

The original altitude encoder was left orphaned up front with the newer one added elsewhere behind the panel.

No ADS-B in with the 335, of course, but the setup at least retains the TIS traffic that was there before. I'll do ADS-B in with one of the portable devices, eventually.

Overall a clean install. Had I been paying attention to the 530 -> 530W upgrade path that's available when it was far cheaper than it is now, I might have done that and paired it with a 330 -> 330ES upgrade (or a 345 if ambitious). Alas.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I did the Garmin GDL-84 with a Flight Stream 110. The GDL-84 sits under the copilot seat, the Flight Stream is under the instrument cover. Best part of that install solution is the aural call outs of traffic. I do see traffic on my iPad so I can start looking in the right direction but on many occasions my DA-20 sees traffic before I do - and tells me about it in my headset.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

We have been looking at this system for the Da20's. With a quick check it would fit where the current 327 transponder lives. I am surprised that Diamond wouldn't consider this or any other mod as a service instruction.

https://www.l3harris.com/all-capabiliti ... lay-system
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Diamond really does not get into the avionics upgrades for the DA-20 once it leaves the factory. Only see on Service Bulletin on and it is only applicable to three aircraft that just left their factory. Something that needed fixing...

For new avionics in the DA-20 you really need to enter into the wild wild west of possibilities - something that I have been doing for several years now. I did my GDL-84 upgrade first which included the internal WAAS GPS - I had two GNS 430's (non-WAAS) at the time. Transponder remains a GTX-327 so traffic is not seen on that unit, but the iPad shows traffic fine. I'm really sold on the aural traffic call-outs by the GDL-84 in my headset. That feature in my opinion is really much better than any icons seen on the panel (iPad, transponder or otherwise). It is like having an extra ATC in the control room watching out specifically for my tail number.

After having ADS-B for a couple of years, I upgraded my eHSI (a hard-to see in the sunlight Sandel 3308) to the Garmin G5. In that effort I upgraded one of my GNS-430 to WAAS so it could do its GPSS thing. However, I did not upgrade my other 430, another $3,500 out-of-pocket if I wanted to do both units. So the only downside is my GNS-430s don't talk to each other and there is no cross-fill function. Gotta punch in two destinations/flight plans if you want both GPS units to display the same purple line...