3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

DA-20 prices high, no inventory????

Post by soarer20 »

Does anyone know whats up with DA-20 values lately? It seems like there isn't much for sale and what is for sale is between 30 and 50% higher than it was less than a year ago.

Anyone know whats up with no DA-20's for sale? Is the DA-20 production line shut down?

Should I increase my insurance value for my DA-20 A1? If I had to replace it I would be paying a 20-30k premium over what I paid just 2 years ago...
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Re: DA-20 prices high, no inventory????

Post by okent »

I can't explain the prices on Controller. I've got a subscription to aircraft bluebook and for a if those numbers are to be trusted the ones listed in the US are way off. I wish them luck but I'd imagine they will be for sale quite a while.
PeterK
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by PeterK »

I asked a similar question a while back about DA40s. I think it's all supply and demand -- I saw one D20 for CAD ~150K/USD $113K, but the latest DA20 bunch on controller (all seem form the same seller) baffles me.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

Supply and Demand: Diamond has no room in their foreseeable production schedule to build the DA-20's because they are 100% full supplying higher margin 62's and 42's. Plus the DA-20 is being recognized more and more as the best / most efficient trainer vs 172's and 152's. So flight schools and some private guys are snapping up all they can on the used market. Its tempting for me to upgrade to a bigger plane but then again I love my DA-20: fun, easy on the pocket book, simple, safest thing out there by far (statistically 3x's safer than a Cirrus or a Mirage, for example). A 3x's better chance of living through an accident is a good thing :)
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Da20s are a great value. Mine is probably worth at leadt twice what I paid for it three years ago. But it is also in better shape than it was when I bought it.
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by okent »

I still think of making another run at the mothballed DA20 that's here in town but after putting 40 hours on my CTLS I believe I made the right decision to pass. My cost of entry was half the price of what's out there of the same vintage plus parachute/no mixture/modern avionics/autopilot/service...
The DA20 was more fun to fly but not that much more. I don't think I could go back to a plane without autopilot.