4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

DA-20 Autopilot

Post by RMarkSampson »

I'm going to populate this topic over the next month or so. Flight schools did not need them but I have read several times where other DA-20 owners have lamented over their desire to have an autopilot - most recently on the "how to value a DA-20" blog. 20 years ago, DAI made a brief attempt at building a bling DA-20 which included an autopilot. I was lucky that I was in the market when one of those aircraft came up for sale. But it pains me to know that many of my fellow DA-20 owners can't get the same. So I'm going to try and help.

Call me naïve, but from what I can see, it is not a major effort to install a STEC-30 autopilot in a DA-20. DAI already built the path to do so. You can see that path by looking at the Integrated Parts Catalog (IPC), Chapter 22. The challenge as I see it is to dig into chapter 22 without needing to file Chapter 11 (bankruptcy). I saw a STEC-30 for sale used on eBay for about $5K. I'm guessing they are reasonable available and reasonably priced due to other upgrades to other aircraft where they are tossing a STEC-30 to the back of their hangar. I'm inclined to think that many DA-20 owners would elect to make this upgrade if they could see one that has been installed by DAI. So I will attempt to photograph the guts of my aircraft (under the seat pants and behind the panel) to show my DA-20 brethren how it was done. My next annual is not until next year so some pictures might wait until then, but most pictures are doable without a major disassembly.

More to follow...
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: DA-20 Autopilot

Post by Pascal »

Thanks Mark. I’m interested.
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by okent »

Me too, thanks Mark.
C-1Pilot
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Johnny
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N517JT
Airports: KLDJ

Post by C-1Pilot »

RMarkSampson wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:18 pm I'm going to populate this topic over the next month or so. Flight schools did not need them but I have read several times where other DA-20 owners have lamented over their desire to have an autopilot - most recently on the "how to value a DA-20" blog. 20 years ago, DAI made a brief attempt at building a bling DA-20 which included an autopilot. I was lucky that I was in the market when one of those aircraft came up for sale. But it pains me to know that many of my fellow DA-20 owners can't get the same. So I'm going to try and help.

Call me naïve, but from what I can see, it is not a major effort to install a STEC-30 autopilot in a DA-20. DAI already built the path to do so. You can see that path by looking at the Integrated Parts Catalog (IPC), Chapter 22. The challenge as I see it is to dig into chapter 22 without needing to file Chapter 11 (bankruptcy). I saw a STEC-30 for sale used on eBay for about $5K. I'm guessing they are reasonable available and reasonably priced due to other upgrades to other aircraft where they are tossing a STEC-30 to the back of their hangar. I'm inclined to think that many DA-20 owners would elect to make this upgrade if they could see one that has been installed by DAI. So I will attempt to photograph the guts of my aircraft (under the seat pants and behind the panel) to show my DA-20 brethren how it was done. My next annual is not until next year so some pictures might wait until then, but most pictures are doable without a major disassembly.

More to follow...
Hi Mark,

I’m new to the forum and just came across this thread. I ordered my DA20 C1 and took delivery at the factory, June of 2004. I was one of the first DA20’s, new from the factory with the STEC 30, w/GPSS steering installed by Diamond. It was coupled to a Garmin 530. I built mine towards more of a cross country aircraft, rather than a trainer. Of course it had leather interior. I was downsizing, having previously partnered in a Grumman Twin and before that a Tiger.

Sadly, I sold my DA20, late 2009, as I felt I wasn’t putting enough hours on her the last year and saw the bleak fiscal times we were headed towards. I got out, figuring I could get back in, which I did recently with an LSA. Again, sadly, I found out my prized DA20, met its fait, in September of this year. I’m still trying to find out more, thankfully there were no fatalities, but it appears it won’t fly again.

More to the point, the STEC 30, as installed in the -20, w/GPSS, is a great tool. Coupled with a good navigator, it flys approaches and all you do is manage speed. I highly recommend this combination. Although our planes are not IFR certifiable, I do wish I had ordered a heated pitot, which at the time was only installed on the personal DA20, of Christian Dries, Diamonds owner, but was told they could install it. I declined.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I've been through two annuals at a Diamond Service Center - alas, that means I don't get to spend as much time doing the owner assist thing anymore. My original plan of mapping out my entire STEC-30 autopilot has fallen to the side. It was a STC install by the factory before delivery to the original owner. My STEC-30 is still a great feature - sadly not very common in the DA-20 fleet. I recently added a G5, replacing a SANDEL 3308 Electronic HSI. It now provides GPSS and my DA-20 now can fly an automated lateral approach. Autopilot can hold altitude but cannot fly a glideslope by itself. Needed to change one of my two GNS-430s to a 430W to make it compatible but it now has LPV capability. While she is VMC only - she can get you out of IFR if you get trapped above. Inexpensive IFR trainer in VMC too...
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

Very nice! An autopilot would be a great addition for longer x country flights.