Difference in DA20 C1 Katana vs Eclipse vs Evolution?

Any DA20 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Difference in DA20 C1 Katana vs Eclipse vs Evolution?

Post by okent »

I understand that all 3 have the Continental IO-240B motor but is there any other major difference except for the rear windows?
I've read the differences listed on the wiki page but if anyone has any other info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: Difference in DA20 C1 Katana vs Eclipse vs Evolution?

Post by Pascal »

All DA20 models are referred to as Katanas by ATC as far as I can tell. Similar to all Cessna 172s being referred to as Skyhawks, even though the name originally referred to a trim level introduced in the late 60s.

I own an Evolution (no rear windows). I don't miss the rear windows as the luggage area behind me is usually full of stuff anyway. The Evolution in my model year (1999) has a basic VFR panel with one VOR (no ILS) and a VFR only GPS. The seats are also spartan. Perhaps the Eclipse would have better seats and avionics. My airplane did not come with wheel fairings and came with a white nose cone, not the shiny chromed one.
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by okent »

Thanks Pascal.
I was flying a 2000 Eclipse which was essentially your aircraft. I'm looking at another 2000 Eclipse but it has the Katana DA20 C1 graphic on the outside(have not seen in person yet). From what I've read on wiki some planes came from the factory with this badging but are the same as any other Eclipse.
Just wondering if there's any functional difference not listed on wiki that I need to be aware of.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

okent wrote:Just wondering if there's any functional difference not listed on wiki that I need to be aware of.
Any difference would be insignificant compared to the differences in upkeep between various used airplanes on sale. All DA20-C1s fly at the same speed, provided they have the MT propeller and wheel pants.

One thing I miss from the 2001 DA20-C1s is the elevator trim control on the stick. On the 1999 models, the trim is on the center console, which means I need to rub against my passenger's leg when doing trim adjustments. Minor annoyance, but annoyance nonetheless.

Also, newer models have a tinted bubble canopy, which supposedly helps when the sun is simmering hot.

My DA20-C1's instruments were not backlighted. I had a strip of led lights installed under the glare shield for night flying, and I had the six pack ligthed using these: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in ... erlite.php
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Occasionally, I will notice something "different" with my aircraft like when I ordered a fuel tank dip stick from Diamond only to find out that it could not fit down the extra bend in the fuel tank fill hose. I ended up making my own $2 dip stick vice the $100 stick Diamond wanted to sell me. None of these differences would make it to Wiki. However, you can discern some of the differences if you dig into the Integrated Parts Catalog (IPC) for the DA-20. In there are differences identified based on the Serial Number of the plane. You can see where Diamond did specific upgrades throughout time which is identified by serial number.

When I was shopping for my DA-20 I was lucky enough to acquire one of four DA-20-C1 Eclipses that were "blinged out" back around 1999 with autopilot, two GNS-430s, an Sandel electronic HSI, the Microvision Engine Management System and electric trim commonly seen in the DA-40s of that era. I later learned this from a Diamond factory guy attending a Fly-In. Ultimately all DA-20s fly the same - and are all covered under the same FAA certification. If I want to not confuse ATC, I need to say "Katana" or "DV-20" vice "Eclipse" or "DA-20." From what I understand, their computer only has one entry based on the original FAA certification.

DA-20s don't have much useful load to start with. My DA-20 keeps me on a diet since lugging around all the extra avionics does decrease my useful load - and it remains a VFR-only aircraft even though I have more IFR capability in the avionics than many pre-2000 IFR aircraft. All for the lack of some static discharge wicks. Someone bond my wings please!

I digress...