First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: DA 20 owner/fan love flying it.. stories

Post by Pascal »

thefoxx wrote:
Pascal wrote:
YCCA wrote:My CHT and oil temp is exactly the same. I’m buying the winterization kit now
Another option would be to move to Arizona. But I am not ready to retire just yet.
Move to Arizona then there would be no summer flying - too hot!

Pascal, do you have the winter kit?
I do and it helps but I still find the oil oressure in particular to be too high. I use Aeroshell 15W50 now as it is ubiquitous in Canada. I might switch to something thinner this winter.
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

RMarkSampson wrote:How did we get from the love of flying a DA-20 to frigid winters in the NE?!?

I had the electric engine heater piece of it - not any baffles. The plug was mounted next to the oil cap for easy access to plug in. My A&P removed it when we rewired the engine for the EDM-900. It might be in the corner of the hanagar or I might have chunked it - can’t remember. The wires looked like they had done some heavy duty heating from the previous owner’s Nebraska winters. In Florida, I think I plugged it in once just to see if it worked and didn’t pop a circuit breaker.
No - I meant the baffles that block the airflow through the cowl air inlets, and the outlet at the bottom.

I recommend getting that Tanis back hooked up (that is what is in there, isn;t it?) - you will not regret it

You definitely will need to get the baffles though - without it, you are going to have some pretty low oil temps - at least that was my experience! Expensive from Diamond, but they are quick and easy to install and remove a required.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

My oil temp comes up fairly quickly from ambient to 110’ish by the time I am ready to takeoff - then 175’ish with normal operations. I don’t consider that low. The occasional time I fly north I don’t remember it being an issue even with using the heater to warm up the cockpit.

I’ll guess keep that Tanis around but quite frankly I don’t see me putting it back on as I won’t be moving north where it becomes necessary.