3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: winch or powered tow bar?

Post by Pascal »

My 1999 DA20-C1 is tied down for the moment being. I am in the process of upgrading the airplane, so I prefer spending the money on an MT propeller and other goodies (G5s, ADSB-out, etc) than on a hangar for now. I don`t know where I would store a powered towbar at this moment so I`ll make do without it.

My cheap Diamond towbar is badly bent and I needed herculean efforts to move the airplane around. At least the airplane is now parked in a flat, paved area, better than the gravel it used to be on.

My mechanic tells me the airplane is significantly harder than other DA20s to move, so he is replacing the ball bearings and the grease in the wheels. Hopefully that will help.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Pascal wrote:My mechanic tells me the airplane is significantly harder than other DA20s to move, so he is replacing the ball bearings and the grease in the wheels. Hopefully that will help.
Not to mention, shortening your takeoff roll... ;)
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Pascal,
I replaced the bearings on my MLG on my '99 DA-20-C1 a couple years ago. I recall also replaced the races that the ball bearing fit into on the wheel assembly. The IPC does not show them as an individual part number - maybe Diamond considers them part of what they call the inner and outer wheel half assembly. But as I recall, they are metal press fittings that go into the wheel assembly that the bearings rotate within. I do remember picking them up at a local shop - not through Diamond. Anyway if I am remembering correct, might consider that too.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Pascal wrote:
My mechanic tells me the airplane is significantly harder than other DA20s to move, so he is replacing the ball bearings and the grease in the wheels. Hopefully that will help.
I would also check the alignment of the gear. If the toe in is out of spec, it is fairly easy to adjust with the tapered shims sold by Diamond. P/N 20-3210-00-16 . Shim, Axle, 0.063 In. Thick, 1 Degree Shim and
20-3210-00-17 . Shim, Axle, 0.100 In. Thick, 2 Degree Shim.

If the toe-in/out is proper, it will help with moving the airplane (and reduce tire wear too).
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

I use a winch on the DA40 as many others do. “Recommended” by Diamond or not, you gotta get the plane in the hangar somehow.
elmanzah
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hisham
Aircraft Registration: N908DS
Airports: KXLL

Post by elmanzah »

I found it very difficult to use a powered tug to push my plane int the hangar. I’m using a winch now and am very happy with that solution. I don’t even look at the wings as they clear the hangar edges.
1911Tex
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Larry
Aircraft Registration: N389DC
Airports: KGTU

Post by 1911Tex »

Pascal: Add 5# from recommended on mains and nose tires. Makes a world of difference in all respects. I cannot tell of any abnormal wear on the treads after years of added air in current or previous planes. In fact if you chalk your treads with the extra #'s, it make no difference.
Ohjymy
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Registration: N322DC
Airports: KFHB

Post by Ohjymy »

Based on replies on this Forum - Winch Vs. Power tow, I bought a Minimax Elec Tug for my DA 20 C1 late December 2018. My problem is getting the C1 back in the hanger due to obstacles like door guides, uneven drainage channels, and narrow hanger width. Towing out is not so difficult. Anyway the electric tug works just fine, and I am getting used to maneuvering the C1 with it. I recommend getting the additional wheel attachments otherwise you can only travel at the speed of the Milwaukee drill which is not fast. For the C1 you have the option of a DeWalt which is recommended for the lighter load of the C1 or the Milwaukee. DeWalt is faster speed so Greg at Minimax said. You’ll like the folks at Minimax too, I think.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

A case for a tug: Getting the plane out of the hangar in the winter. This is yesterday - I could not get the plane moving just pulling on the tow bar, as I wound up standing on this ice while trying. I have an ice sheet as a chronic condition this time of year - usually much more widespread and nasty black ice. I have little problem from the standpoint of hangar width, bring blessed with a 44' hangar. But dealing with this semi-permanent ice sheet is much more manageable with, in my case, a PowerTow. BTW, one feature of the PT is leverage. That is, the tire slipped on the ice (as I did), but you can lean down on the handle and the mechanical advantage to the tire produces enough traction to pull the plane out easily.
Ice.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Thaddeus M
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Thaddeus
Aircraft Registration: N585BW
Airports: N14

Post by Thaddeus M »

Rich, would you be able to roll out a rubber mat/runner over the ice or do you think it would create another problem....