3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Re: Dual Garmin G5 install Questions

Post by YCCA »

Pascal wrote:As of now I would go for a Garmin GDL 82 as an affordable adsb out solution.

Once certified, this baby will become the most affordable adsb out solution as it will be presumably competitively priced with the Garmin but will also be installed in minutes, thereby saving lots of money in labour:

https://www.uavionix.com/news/uavionix- ... -solution/
This does not have a rear facing position light, so I don’t think it’s going to work on Diamond aircraft unfortunately
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

6CA6E9CB-D700-4649-872A-7D15918CEE2F.jpeg
056757F3-F2A9-4B5B-B8B3-97B1D6EBA669.jpeg
Finally got the Aspen installed.. $4500 for the unit and $3500 install
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

YCCA wrote:Finally got the Aspen installed.. $4500 for the unit and $3500 install
Sweet !
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

Finished my Dual G5 upgrade (also GTN 650). Maybe a little overkill for the DA20-A1, but the existing GPS 150 was dead and I wanted to be able to practice instrument approaches. Wasn't too expensive as I was able to sell the AI, DG, King KX125, KI-208, and INS 429 I had for decent prices. I'm surprised how much used avionics / instruments go for. :)
Attachments
20181126_194143.jpg
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

JohnE,
I have a growing box of used avionics sitting in my garage. KG-102, Sandel 3308, KmT112, Microvision 1000. The stuff I pulled out all worked... How did you turn yours into cash?

You have a very nice panel going - but that top right covered hole is just begging for JPI’s EDM-900 Engine Management System. ;) Then you can remove those analog engine gauges and turn it into an iPad mount area. Digital engine data logging is a really nice way to monitor the health of that hunk iron under the cowl...
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

Thanks Mark. Does JPI make an engine mgt for Rotax? Mine is an A1, not C1. Do they have an STC so that I can remove the analog engine gauges? I'd love to free up that space.

I turned my "trash" into treasure on barnstormers. I used their free ads which only allows I think 100 characters of text. I priced them right and then emailed any prospective people pictures and description. The KX125 was probably easiest to sell. I'm surprised anyone would want the KI-208 as it was only VOR/LOC, no GS. I think all the buyers were replacing their broken units.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Copy the B-stormer path to cash. Thanks! Would also be nice to get these units to someone in need.

The EDM-900 is STC/certified for primary engine monitoring - i.e. you can pull all your analog gauges out. They have a EDM-830 which is "secondary monitoring" which is NOT what you want. I don't think there is much difference between hooking the EDM-900 to a Continental or Rotax but JPI customer service would be the ones to ask. Engine management units are pretty universal. They need your POH engine specs so they can program the unit for your engine prior to sending it to you. I'm sure they would also supply the correct sensors needed for monitoring RPM etc. The EDM-900 is customizable on four or six cylinder engines. EGT and CHT are just temperature probes. Four small holes drilled into the exhaust system give you EGT - and Rotax likely has locations/fittings on each cylinder to mount the CHT probes. Very easy to manage ROP and LOP operation. I really like the way this instrument brings all the engine data inside the pilot's instrument scan zone vice being all the way over on the co-pilot side of the panel.

The fuel flow meter is a very accurate way to measure how much fuel has been removed during flight. Programmed correctly it confirms exactly how much fuel is remaining independent of the fuel tank sensor. I just had an issue and replaced my fuel pump - I had engine data going back two years and was able to track differences that confirmed that replacing the pump was the best way ahead. I did not need to wait until the engine had heart failure. It records every four seconds (or programmable to other intervals). It warns you of cold shocking the engine during descent. I also had it hooked up to a serial port on one of my GPS units - I can now see aircraft performance vs engine performance (altitude, ground speed) to include mapping out the flight path using Google Earth or other geodetic software program.

I'm not a JPI salesman - just a happy customer...