1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: C-GYCM
Airports: CYBW

Re: C1 - Engine quits on roll-out after landing

Post by Robfarthing »

Hi folks, i sold my 20 back in 2012 so its been a while, but i do remember experiencing the engine quit after landing issue on mine as well...
For me the solution was to lean after landing and keep fuel pump on.
I now fly an SR22 and it experiences the same issue on warm days after landing if fuel pump not on.
Was told by my AME that the fuel can vapourize in lines after landing from the big hot engine and warm ambient temps so need fuel pump to maintain fuel pressure above Pvap.
If fuel pump on doesnt solve issue then i agree with other suggestions of ensuring it is set up correctly.
Best,
Rob (former C1 s/n 006 owner)
Richadir
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Richard
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N168DC
Airports: 5B2

Post by Richadir »

I contacted both Diamond and Continental concerning engine quitting on roll-out. The fuel mixture adjustment is very precise.

Diamond indicated checklist require fuel pump on at all times except cruise. I asked why? One tech said, "We don't want our planes to quit at any time".
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

Well, after consultation with Diamond - we adjusted the idle to 1000RPM and that seems to have solved the issue (well, at least it hasn't died on me during the roll out since). As well, their advice of leaving the fuel pump on during any operation (AFAIK) under 1400RPM.
Diamond indicated checklist require fuel pump on at all times except cruise. I asked why? One tech said, "We don't want our planes to quit at any time".
Heh... Good answer - technically correct I suppose!
hogster50
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Darren
Aircraft Registration: N441Z
Airports: KSCH

Post by hogster50 »

I had same issue. Took it to Diamond service center and they tuned induction system, fuel setup with proper gauges. Never had an issue again and didn't have to anything to throttle or mixture once at idle for landing roll..
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I previously had the same issue. I noticed that the regulated fuel pressure from my engine-driven fuel pump would sometimes goes down to 3.4 psi when the engine was at idle. Per the POM, 3.5 psi is the alarm minimum that flashes on my EDM-900. On startup, run-ups, and full power the fuel pressure was right on target - no issues. However, normally seen on landings, the fuel pressure would drop to 3.4 psi on final if I pulled the throttle back to it's idle stop - and if I didn't have the electric fuel pump on, the engine would want to quit once the ground speed dropped to where the prop did not get some wind-milling help. If the electric fuel pump was on she would continue to run fine - even with low fuel pressure being indicated - so I got into the habit of leaving the electric fuel pump on until I departed the runway. Also, as soon as I added throttle, the engine would respond and the fuel pressure would rise back up to normal. So I also habitually was adding throttle during roll-out even though I wanted to slow down.

There is supposedly an adjustment to increase the low-end idle fuel pressure. However when I started digging into the issue, I noticed 100LL staining on the engine-driven fuel pump - just around the small hole that is suppose to only let air through. Likely a small leak in the internal diaphragm. Stray 100LL in the engine compartment is not a good thing - so I had the pump replaced and the new pump calibrated to Continental's specs. Now I don't experience any of the "engine quits on roll-out" tendencies previously seen. The idle fuel pressure is still around the 3.5 minimum but she idles solidly, with or without the electric fuel pump on. Idle speed at Full Rich is 750'ish, leaning for max idle, she idles around 850'ish. Either way she idles solidly. I don't see increasing idle to 1000 rpm as the correct solution.

So my advice is to continue to troubleshoot if your engine is quitting on roll-out - something is not right. I'm not an advocate of the electric fuel pump solution being used to "resolve" that issue - it is not, it is only masking a problem. The engine should continue to run without the electric pump. Same with adding throttle to keep the engine running - it should not be a solution.
Attachments
fuel pump pic-small.jpg