HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

2011 DA40-XLS sold looking to move into a DA20

Post by HPNAviator »

Sold our 2011 DA40-XLS in December 2016 as one of my two partners decided to move up to a SR22 partnership. With the flying season staring again in Match my remaining partner and I are seriously considering a DA20 as an alternative. Would greatly appreciate any advice on what to look for and what to be aware of when looking for a used DA20 i.e. do all of the C1 models have a gross weigh of 1,764 lbs or do the empty weight vary by much. Also if anybody knows of one for sale that is not currently advertised in the usual places please let me know. With 334 C1 models currently on the US register I would imagine there are always a few for sale.

Thank you all in advance.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: 2011 DA40-XLS sold looking to move into a DA20

Post by RMarkSampson »

Stephen,
Did you find a DA-20? Unfortunately you can only count on 333 C1's being for sale in the US as I am steadfast loving my DA-20. Coming from a DA-40, I think you will find the useful load and VFR-only being the biggest limiting factors in my opinion - but the fuel economy can't be beat especially if you never fly with more than two people. Finding one with some "bling" in the panel might be a challenge - to include an autopilot. Most were built with flight schools in mind - not with regional cross-country flying as a primary mission. I was speaking to a factory guy at Sun'nFun a year ago. According to him, there are only a few that were built with all the bells and whistles found in most standard DA-40's.
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

Post by HPNAviator »

Have an accepted offer on a 2003 Grumman Tiger that is in pre-buy inspection right now. The seller also owned a DA40 prior to the Tiger. Many similarities and many differences between the two planes.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I had a friend that was a quarter partner in a Tiger. They are great little planes. Really similar to a DA40 in how they handle and land. There are some *very* painful maintenance items (something to do with rudder cables, I think?) because it was designed as a disposable trainer and they thought more about putting it together in a hurry than being able to carefully take it apart for the long-period maintenance items.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)