Can't pass a medical - thanks for a great time of sharing

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N14PS
Airports: KSUA

Re: Can't pass a medical - thanks for a great time of sharin

Post by PapaSierra »

Thanks Cary & Robert (and all!),

I failed to mention a "possible TIA" I had way back in 2007 and I mentioned that on my FAA MedExpress form. I was honest, and it cost me. That's why they've asked for the cardiologist and a neuro eval. The real stickler is the neuro eval has to be done by either a physician with board certified in BOTH Psychology and Neurology, OR a Neurosurgeon. That's been very tough to organize.

I am going to sell the plane, regardless, as I know remedies will take quite some time to resolve. Also, being a large guy, and as I just got engaged and will now have a family of 5 by next spring, when I do get my health issues resolved I'm going to be looking for a larger single piston that can easily carry all of us with "some" luggage. I realize that's a tall order - I wish Diamond wasn't abandoning the DA50 (or had a DA60 in the future)... I don't want a twin - just a reliable and powerful single.

I have spent a lot of time researching ischemia and found a website of which I would truly appreciate your educated feedback!

http://www.liveto110.com/naturally-reve ... -arteries/

What do you think guys?

Thanks all!
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100
WAAS, TAWS-B, SVT, Jepp ChartView, SafeTaxi,
GFC700 w/VNAV, GTX33 Mode S, & Avidyne TAS600 Active Traffic
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Post by trepine »

Just out of curiosity. If you have a PPL already and were unable to pass a medical in the future, can you step down to sport license and do lsa
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Gilman,

My understanding is that if you fail your third class, you are not eligible to fall back to LSA. However, if you anticipate that you will fail but do not take the exam, you are LSA so long as your pilot's license is not revoked. It can get more complicated, however, in cases where you are already on the FAA's radar with respect to a medical issue. In some cases where they think (rightly or wrongly) that you should not be flying, they will revoke your medical before it expires to the same effect as if you had failed it. I saw this happen to a fellow who had cancer and passed his third class on a special issue. (He was healthy; no real medical risk in the near term.) About 60 days before he was going to let his medical slide, the FAA contacted him with special diagnostic requests that would have been exorbitantly expensive and necessitated traveling to a Class I cancer center. His oncologist said the request was unjustified. The last sentence in his notification was that if they did not receive the test results before his medical expired, it would be revoked.
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

I had an episode of A fib after getting very dehydrated racing cars. Had to do an ETT and an echo. This as yours showed an EKG change consistent with ischemia and a small defect in my atria. I was heart broken and concerned. I did as you at first and just gave up mentally. Then I contacted Warren Silberman in OKC. We decided to get more tests and that included a HOLTER monitor and a left and right heart cath. Turned out my atrial septal defect was not significant, and my coronaries were perfect. Not one lesion in them. After all that I'm cleared to fly and only require a HOLTER once a year to prove no rhythm problems.
So what I'm saying, it can seem hopeless but it's all fixable with some good care and time. It's worth it. Get yourself taken care of, get a good AME that knows what there doing and get it done.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by PapaSierra »

Jeff, your message is very encouraging, as are so many that have replied both privately and on this thread. I spoke to the FAA today and I will be submitting all my tests to them by the end of next week. Since the DA40 won't meet my mission requirements of my new larger family, I'm going to sell her and work on my health - I will beat this! Then I'll find a plane that can comfortable fly 5.

Thanks again!
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Post by trepine »

Look at the new Sr22 g5. They just got the new 200lb weight increase
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Your welcome. I did the same thing. I sold my Diamond and went back with a cirrus once I got my medical back 6 months later. My cirrus caries more fuel, more payload and speed. It's been great.
Sounds like you will need more seats so your gonna need a bigger machine for sure.

Also I had a buddy that needed a bypass this year. He got taken care of and now has his medical back. The important thing is to take care of yourself for your family. The flying will be the benefit! Good luck and keep us up to date. Come back here to participate. I still do even though I've not had my beloved da40 for a year.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by PapaSierra »

I'll be around for sure Jeff! No other source of info or people has been as resourceful and enjoyable as this forum. I like your plan! Works for me!
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100
Charbie
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charbel
Aircraft Registration: GLXL
Airports: CZBA

Post by Charbie »

Paul, as a recent private pilot I learned lots during your emails. Appreciated it, good luck with your journey and your upcoming changes and looking forward to seeing you on the forum.
2007 DA40 XL , CZBA, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by PapaSierra »

Hi all,

I got a really fast reply from Oklahoma City - They accepted all that I sent and replied within ONE DAY of getting my submitted reports - they just need some data from my stress test! This is HUGE news!!! They didn't say no and frankly I'm blown away :D

I received their response this morning and obtained the data and FedEx'd it back to them this afternoon. I'm hoping that by early next week I'll have a decision - one way or the other this long medical road is ending. AMEN.

So I needed to travel to Atlanta to see a nephew that is facing some pretty tough brain surgery for a cancer that has reoccurred with a vengeance. My new instructor, Fred Simonds (the author that routinely publishes in the IFR newsletter and magazine) said "Sure" and off we flew to Atlanta this past Monday. Three hours 20 minutes - wow. 10,000 ft. Wow... best time I've ever had in an airplane. We flew IFR both ways. All systems worked perfectly and when I got the call from ATC that traffic was at 11 o'clock 1,000 ft above at 3 miles... then saw it was a Southwest Airlines jet as it passed by us - that was just... cool. The DA40 saved me at least 2 hours off the total trip time if I had flown commercial - each way. This is why I bought a plane.

We flew back the next morning. Easy. My first experience with clouds and rain, but the skies opened up over Stuart airport as we arrived and we had a beautiful VFR landing.

I love my Diamond. I sure wish they would make a DA60 so I wouldn't have to buy a competitor's aircraft to meet my mission... A powerful single turbo with seating for 5 200 lb. adults plus 100 lbs of luggage. That's the Rx for me.

FAA - Please let me have my medical... This truly is the ONLY way to fly. :)
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100