Can't pass a medical - thanks for a great time of sharing

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N14PS
Airports: KSUA

Can't pass a medical - thanks for a great time of sharing

Post by PapaSierra »

Hi all,

A tiny nothing on an EKG for my Class 3 medical turned up and my cardiologist recommended a stress test. I passed the FAA required version of the stress test, but the data from that test showed I have an ischemia. Doc said that's a no-go for the FAA. I went to the FAA web site and found concurrence.

I left my doc's office yesterday very sad... I was so close to my license. Now it's not to be. Sure I can do a variety of things to correct this, some surgical, some not. Some even holistic which I'm far more inclined to do as I know well the trap that the FDA and medicine uses to create annuities out of their patients. They don't want to cure you, nope, they want you on their meds for the rest of your life. Regardless of what I choose, results from such efforts are years away.

Code: Select all

{post edited, no sales, please. /admin} 
I raise my glass to the Diamond aviators of this forum. A great bunch indeed!

To your health and mine,
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100
WAAS, TAWS-B, SVT, Jepp ChartView, SafeTaxi,
GFC700 w/VNAV, GTX33 Mode S, & Avidyne TAS600 Active Traffic
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Re: Can't pass a medical - thanks for a great time of sharin

Post by Gnomad »

Paul,

I am very sad to have read your post and what you have gone through. I had a medical scare during my PP training, so I can relate. Thought it was all for naught a few weeks before my checkride. :(

I don't want to give you false hope, but want to highly recommend you run this by Dr. Bruce Chien before throwing in the towel. He is a legend in the pilot medical community, knows everyone in OKC, lobbies .gov, and is a genius, among other things. If you email him your info, you will hear back promptly. His passion is getting pilots back in the air.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Good luck!
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

Paul,
I, too, am sad to hear of this. Obviously health comes first, and if you are committed to flying, there are other options to consider once you have a good handle on your health situation. You probably cannot self-certify for LSA now, but you should be able to earn a glider private pilot certificate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dw0qvcl6uh4e ... s.pdf?dl=0

(If the dropbox link doesn't work, just PM me for the document.)

The Diamond motorglider is not currently in production, but there are available aircraft, Diamond and others.
I enjoy flying gliders as much or more than any of the other flying I do, and it's worth looking into.

You are not alone in having this sort of obstacle in front of you - we are all just one medical exam away from finding our flying privileges at risk, at least until the regs change.

I sincerely hope you can get all this squared away and continue to pursue your flying as a healthy, qualified, safe pilot. Don't be discouraged!
-dan
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Paul, sorry to hear the bad news as well. But, don't give up the ship just yet. Lots of us over 50 guys are flying on SI (Special Issuance) medicals. Get your health issues in order, but as others have said, get some expert advice about your FAA status (Bruce Chien is excellent - plus he is a former Navy P3 aviator). As much as we like to complain about the FAA, pilots are safely flying with medical issues that they never could have as recently as 5-10 years ago. I know of one fellow that had a liver transplant (among other issues) and was able to get an SI. It may not be cheap (nothing in aviation is), and it may not be fast, but you will get back up if you really want to...

Steve
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by PapaSierra »

Hi All,

Thanks for the really good info everyone. Actually, I AM a glider pilot! I earned that ticket in 1987. Haven't flown gliders since 2005. My recent medical was not denied but deferred pending numerous tests. It was one of those tests that came up as a red flag.

I will contact Dr. Chien today!

PS: Because I applied for the medical and the red flag popped up, I am not eligible for either the Sport or the Rec airman's certificate. My cardiologist is a pilot and knows the FAA rules well. He said I'm basically "hosed".
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100
trepine
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Post by trepine »

Paul,

Sorry to hear that. You did almost exactly the same thing as me, just 3 years later. In 2011 I bought a 2008 XLS from premier with pretty much the exact same options as you have, I bought it to learn how to fly. I hadn't even taken a lesson yet. I flew back to Raleigh Durham to take delivery. I hired an instructor and flew starting at Kitty Hawk and went all the way across the US to San Diego Intl, then doubled back to my home in Arizona.

Just like you, I was taking a big risk buying the plane to start my journey...I would have been very crushed if i had run into an obstacle like that, and I really sympathize with you. I really hope that you get it sorted out.

Keep us all posted.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Dear Paul

I am very sad to hear what is happening to you. I don't know what your options for "real" flying are but I am sure that everyone here will support me in saying that you really should stay with us.
Maybe you could switch to a nice flight simulator? Before I started flying I spent thousand of hours on both civilian and WWII simulators.
I was part of an internet connected team, flying a Messerschmitt BF110. It was a blast (literally - nasty Spits on our 6)
Aviation can be enjoyed in many flavors, this forum is one and I for one would really want you to stay on board :)

Cheers
PapaSierra
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by PapaSierra »

Will do Antoine! Who knows? I've emailed Dr. Chien... maybe he can help.
Paul Papa Sierra Shirley
N14PS 2010 DA40.1100
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Paul,
Only you can make the decision to stick with it or not, but it can be done. I know that it is devastating to you now but once you get the SI it is not a big deal. I have been on an SI (for a number of reasons) for over 20 years now.

I would also urge you to not be so down on physicians. While there are some who only are out for the money, all of my colleagues are not that way. I have been able to get a couple of my Type 1 diabetics through the FAA medical system. While it may take a stent or bypass, and you may have to wait 3-6 months, I would be utterly amazed if you could not get a medical and then fly your wonderful bird alone. In the meantime, you can keep flying with an instructor to further sharpen your skills and have fun.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Hang in there Paul and stick with us. It looks like you have already got some new hope and I'll bet you end up helping some of us as you work through this. The news is all the sadder because of the options that are now closed off.

Cary is right. You will run into all kinds of physicians, the same as in all walks of life. Most of them are great. We have a community of physicians around my FBOs who will legitimately consider hypothetical situations and provide before the fact guidance in dealing with the FAA. Better that way if you can foresee it.

A question: Why was an EKG required for a Class III? I have had them offered to me by an inexperienced medical assistant who was getting things ready for my AME's examination. I declined. My CV system is good but, on principle, I know there are a variety of harmless deviations that can trigger more FAA scrutiny than you want.

Scientifically, by the way, the discriminant prediction coefficient between most EKG "abnormalities" and proximate CV events is zip! (There are a couple of big exceptions but it doesn't sound like you are in that category.) This said, I don't suggest getting scientific with the FAA. There is no good predictive science behind the Class III anyway. The last time I checked, a decade of LSA piloting had produced two fatalities that were the direct result of a medical condition. Neither of these conditions would have been detected before the fact with a Class III medical, or any class for that matter. So much for the FAA and science. This is more about authority. There are a number of ways that increased safety could be achieved by redeploying the money spent on the Class III system.