EZWxBrief

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

EZWxBrief

Post by Boatguy »

I recently started using EZWxBrief since I already had a subscription to AvWxWorkshops. It's brand new and I suspect will experience some UI refinements in the coming months, but the wx forecasting content is very good. There are two unique angles. The first is Scott Dennstaedt's own weather analysis algorithms applied to the usual data sources, and the second is the application of personal minimums. I'm able to set ranges (green, yellow, red) for a rich mix of weather phenomena and it evaluates my trip based on those criteria, over the duration of the flight and along the specified route, giving my departure time a green, yellow or red flag. The departure evaluations are available for about 2 1/2 days prior to the planned departure.

I used this twice in the last week for a trip to/from Northern California to Palm Springs. Both times it was very accurate and predicted turbulence which on the day of the flight was confirmed with AirMets and a LLWS warning on both my departure and arrival at my home airport.

They also put a spin on the pricing. If you subscribe at the full price for one year, then you can renew and pay whatever you want.

I have no connection to the company, though I did see Scott speak at an AOPA fly-in two years ago. He's a 100% weather geek. If you fly longer trips, I think this is worth a look. ezwxbrief.com
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: EZWxBrief

Post by MackAttack »

What's the benefit of EZWxBrief versus WeatherSpork? I find that app very easy to use and the web interface for EZWxBrief to be confusing ... just curious since I am already a subscriber to his website. Thanks!
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Russ, thanks for the info, very interesting. I think the guy who did this app was a guest on one of Max Trescott's podcasts, and it sounded very interesting at the time. Will definitely check it out.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

MackAttack wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm What's the benefit of EZWxBrief versus WeatherSpork? I find that app very easy to use and the web interface for EZWxBrief to be confusing ... just curious since I am already a subscriber to his website. Thanks!
Scott was the weather brains behind WeatherSpork, but he has clearly parted company with whomever he was partnered for WeatherSpork.

The UI could use a little work, but he's made a couple of adjustments. If you install it per the instructions it works like a native app. I use the installed version on my iPad and the web version on my computer.

I think the biggest enhancement was the rating of departure times based on your personal minimums. I think Scott is also pulling more weather sources and using his own technology to prepare some of the forecasts. But you could ask him for a better understanding.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Scott's also produced several YouTube videos about EZWxBrief and its user interface that I found pretty helpful in transitioning from WeatherSpork to EzWxBrief. Episode 6 - EZRoute Profile was particularly helpful to me in understanding the updated "en route" profile display.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks, I will have to check all that out. The Spork is just so simple to use however … but more information is better. I have seen Scott give presentations a couple times and spoken with him - they don’t get much better when it comes to aviation weather analysis and understanding! Can’t recommend his website highly enough for all the great content on there …